Your Tarantino history

[quote=“Seb Himself (admin)”]
good story.

well I am younger than most of you guys and girls in here, that’s why my story starts much later.

It began somewhere in 97 or sometime before or after when I first saw Pulp Fiction on free TV. I was still very young and my dad was angry that I watched it because of the blood and the rape scene and all. But I liked the movie. And I taped it. And that tape I watched over and over again. I didn’t count how often. I started to memorize facts, dialogues and all. And after some time (half a year or so) I started to check out who that guy was that had the “written and directed” credit. Well, so came that I started to read bios and all.

The second Tarantino film I watched is, I guess, Desperado, which had his cameo in it.

And that started it all, in end of 1998 I started to collect QT info with the help of a school computer on the internet. I started to put that information together with MsWord, and in 1999 I decided to make a website, because it was so frustrating to me that I went online and just couldn’t find all the information I wanted on one place. And in 1999 I watched Reservoir Dogs, Four Rooms, Jackie Brown. Oh, Jackie Brown. I actually watched a documentary (one of those mixtures between making-of and trailer you know) on tv as it came out in germany. but that was too early for me. My tarantino story hadn’t really started back then.

One of the films I watched very late was From Dusk Till Dawn because it was hard to get here, if you wanted the uncut one.

And now, 2002, summer. Kill Bill is on the rise. And we are all sitting here and chewing finger-nails… till 2003.

:wink:
[/quote]

my brothers are around the same age as you , so they watched Pulp Fiction around the same time . Being about 9 at the time i dident see it , but i knew of it . And then i watched pulp fiction when i was about 11

I was 13-14. I had heard about some movie at the time that had alot of buzz around it’s release. I kept hearding about the use of music in it and the fact that John Travolta , who at the time was a brunt of many jokes, was getting alot of talk about his performance. The movie ,of course, was Pulp Fiction. Now at the age of 13-14 I didn’t like crime/mob films at all. I actually never really gave them a chance but I was in that pubescent love phase for all things comedy and action, with a budding love of horror too. Well my father drags me to see it anyways. I finish my videogame in the lobby as my dad goes on into the theater. I walk in and I notice I’m in th middle of a conversation between two people in a diner. “What did I miss.” “You havent missed anything” “Well what are they talking about?” " Idon’t know they haven’t said, it just started like this." From that moment on my whole film-watching world was thrown upside-down.

I really credit Quentin with completely opening my eyes to new ways of looking at films and to complete genres I never would have cared anything about beforehand.Since then it seems he’s been miking movies especially for me.In 1996 my pasion for horror had truly blossomed,as well as my love for a traditional Special effects and everything around Tom Savini adn KNB.Quentin and his pal Robert reward me with From Dusk TIll Dawn. In 1997 I was deep in th throes of Blaxploitation.Quentin Rewards me with Jackie Brown. In 2003 I had been a longtime kung-fu fan and had been sucking down a hearty diet of Italian cinema, with an emphasis on western’s.Quentin Rwards me with Kill BIll.

There’s an unexplained connection there thta I hope never goes away.

All began when I was young. Me and my friend saw Pulp Fiction on a banal saturday night. The first time( I got 9-10 years old) I was not interrested by this movie. Few years later, I re-examine PF with my brother and this time I was fell in the extraordinary world of QT. I saw Reservoir Dogs some days later. When KB2 came in theater I ran to the cinema. I saw after, Jackie Brown, From Dusk Till Dawn, KB1, Natural Born Killers, True Romance and finnaly Four Rooms. I thank my brother to had the idea of a movie night with PF :stuck_out_tongue:!!

When Kill Bill Vol. 1 came out in theatres, I wasnt really obsessed with movies yet. I saw the trailer for KB and I thought it looked dumb. When it came out on DVD I rented it and it changed the way I looked at movies. Immeadietly after that I was obsessed with movies and Quentin Tarantino. I went out and bought all his DVDs in probably 2 weeks, which was like my life savings until I got a job later that summer. Quentin in God.

I’d seen At The Movies w/Siskel & Ebert and they were critiquing a new film called Reservoir Dogs and from what they were describing it sounded like what I was looking for.So I rented it.The 1st & only time I ever watched a rental twice in a row,and recorded the audio onto cassette on the 2nd viewing,because the dialogue was so fresh.Time has made it’s impact seem less powerful,but I still remember.Next was Pulp Fiction,which was everywhere at the time,and I enjoyed it immensely as well,though for some reason I did’nt feel like watching it again for a while afterwards.I think it drained me,I felt exhausted afterwards,and needed a rest.Then I saw Desperado in '96 and loved it,then about a month later From Dusk Till Dawn,I loved it.Jackie Brown was next and it seemed so different than the 1st two,I remember being dissapointed with it initially,but have watched it as much if not more than the others.Later I found out about True Romance,which was real fine.And somewhere I’d seen Natural Born Killers ,but for some reason it was my least favorite,and not because of any ulterior reasons,I did’nt even know about all of that until about 1998.Then I went to the matinee of Kill Bill,Vol.1(1st of any of these I saw in a theatre) the first day it came out,there were 2 other patrons besides me and my neice,that movie was the best one for me,when it was over my neice left and I stayed for the credits.When the 2nd vol.came out ,1st day,same theatre,same circumstances,except there were 4 other patrons besides me and my neice,I believe I liked it even more in some ways.As a whole it’s my favorite movie.

The first Tarantino movie I saw in theaters was From Dusk Till Dawn. Didn’t know who he was or anything about him at the time. I only went to the movie because my friends wanted to see it, and I hated it.

Years later, my dad borrows Reservoir Dogs from one of his co-workers and asks if I want to watch it with him. Yeah sure. Again, I didn’t know it was a Tarantino movie and still didn’t know who he was. smacks self Watched the movie, liked it, the DVD went back to dad’s co-worker, and I forgot about it. :o

One day last year, I was at a Wal-Mart with my best friend. We went through the electronics dept, looking at the DVDs. I found a rack of DVDs that were all under 10 bucks ;D. On that rack, I found Office Space…and Reservoir Dogs. I remembered seeing the movie a few years earlier, and liking it, so I bought the DVD. Still didn’t know it was a Tarantino movie, until I watched it a couple of months later. smacks self

skip ahead 2-3 months

I had seen this “I Love The 90s” marathon on VH1, and saw something about Pulp Fiction. I had heard about the movie for years, but had never seen it and didn’t know much about it. Well, after seeing a few clips of it on this special, I had to own the movie. They showed the Mia overdose scene and I was sold. Bought the DVD the next day.

Watched Pulp Fiction, and was a little disappointed. Then I watched it again, and again, and again, and saw why so many people loved the movie. I was hooked on that, and Reservoir Dogs. 8) After I started telling my friends how great Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were, they were all telling me to see Kill Bill Vol. 1 because it was a Tarantino movie and it had, in the words of my best friend, “a lot of blood and decapitations”. (She knows what I like :smiley: ) So, I buy Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2. Watched them, loved them, became a Q.T. addict ;D

My Q.T. love/obsession/addiction has become the butt of many jokes from family and friends. I’ve heard “You won’t like it, it’s not a Tarantino movie” many times, been told I should create the Tarantino Trivial Pursuit board game, write a book about him, had someone put Tarantino as my last name on a group project in class, and I’ve become the one to go to when someone’s got a question about him or his movies. :smiley:

September 07, 2002 <-- THAT’s when this thread started??? That’s around the time I got into Tarantino!!! How much of a newbie am I to come into the topic “Your Tarantino history”, only to have my Tarantino history start at the beggining of the topic???

Anyways, let me begin. I was attending college at the University of Tennessee (freshman year; i’m VERY young compared to most of you - i’m 21; born in 1984!) and a suitemate had been showing movies in his room every once in a while and one of those movies was Resovoir Dogs (he had the 10th anniversery dvd). I said i’d never seen that movie before and he was like “you’ve never seen Resovoir Dogs???” like it was a big deal to have never’ve seen it. And I was like “um, no”. And he was like “You GOTTA see it!”. So, I started watching what would be my first Tarantino movie. It was awesome. I ended up downloading Pulp Fiction on Kazaa. It finished downloading really late at night, but I decided to watch it anyways. I watched it 'till daylight (it was like 6 or 7 am when I was finished!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was shocked to hear the same music that I always hear on HBO ads in the opening of Pulp Fiction. I had always thought it was some HBO theme - but it was the Pulp Fiction theme! Anyways, Kill Bill Volume 1 was just around the corner, so I got excited about it and then it came out… it was my first Tarantino movie in theaters. It was just amazing. In between Kill Bill Volume 1 and Kill Bill Volume 2 I both bought Pulp Fiction on DVD and rented Jackie Brown. Jackie Brown was a dissapointment I have to admit but I still liked it. But, when I bought the Pulp Fiction DVD, I recognized the cover because I had seen that cover many times in my past. Then Kill Bill Volume 2 came out and I very much enjoyed it. In 2005 I lost all hope of a special edition Kill Bill DVD and bit the bullet and bought both volumes on DVD (the only Tarantino films I own are Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2). Now i’m DYING for info on Inglorious Bastards or Kill Bill 2.

Kung Fu: My first introduction to Kung Fu was actually 1998’s Rush Hour. Yeah, I told you i’m a newbie. I’ve since seen Rush Hour 2, Who Am I?(on HBO a few years ago), The Karate Kid (about a year ago on AMC), Enter the Dragon (only a few days ago!), and some other Bruce Lee movie where he’s in a multi-story building (have seen the ending of this movie twice; never the beggining; on AMC about a year ago). Also The Matrix, which was my favorite movie until the sequels came out in 2003. Rush Hour was also my favorite movie - before The Matrix (after the Matrix my favorite movie became Pulp Fiction, then Kill Bill). So, spinoffs of Kung Fu movies are how I was introduced - Rush Hour and The Matrix. I like it but don’t think I’ll ever go as far as purchase one (not even Rush Hour - which I never picked up during the short time that it was my favorite movie)

Spaghetti Westerns: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly was my first and only Spaghetti Western - I saw it on HBO about a year ago.

Blaxploitation: The only Blaxploitation film i’ve seen is Jackie Brown. lol. I’m a newbie I’m a newbie I’m a newbie!!!

I don’t like movies that were written by Tarantino but not directed. I saw From Dusk Till Dawn about a year ago on HBO and didn’t like it much. I also tried to watch True Romance recently but couldn’t get into it. I loved Sin City - which was directed by both Rodriguez and Tarantino, and I plan to get the special edition DVD when that comes out. Or has it? I would love nothing more than for Tarantino to write a Grand Theft Auto game - my favorite videogame series. I’m much more of a videogame buff than I am a movie buff. Musically, my favorite bands are Led Zeppelin and Nirvana.

by the way, The University of Tennessee is in Knoxville, Tennessee! I fell in love with Tarantino in the town of his birth!

I’ve been a Tarantino fan since I was eleven. Pulp Fiction was on TV and I had read about him on a finnish movie magazine. It said that he had won many prizes with his movies and that they’re cool and violent so I had to check that out. Everything violent is cool when you’re a kid, right? :wink: But what I got wasn’t just violent, it was a fucking masterpiece and still my favourite movie of all-time.

I was immediately a fan. A few years later Reservoir Dogs was on TV and I taped it. My mom saw it first and said that I can watch it but I couldn’t keep the tape cause it’s too violent. Well, of course I watched it, loved it and kept the fucking tape 8)

Then I think I saw True Romance, Natural Born Killers and From Dusk Til Dawn. I can’t remember the order but I loved them all. Well, Natural Born Killers went a little over my head at the time. I didn’t get the satire then but nowadays I love it too. I think that’s the only movie that would be worse if Tarantino did it. Don’t kill me…

Then I saw Jackie Brown and thought it was ok. Second time it was a little better. Now I’ve seen it four times and yes, it’s as fantastic as every other Tarantino movie.

Then I saw both volumes of Kill Bill in the theaters and of course loved both of them.

And now my ranking would look like this:

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Reservoir Dogs
  3. Jackie Brown/True Romance
  4. Kill Bill Vol. 1
  5. Kill Bill Vol. 2
  6. Natural Born Killers/From Dusk Til Dawn

Kill Bill on 4 and 5? :frowning:

[quote=“Buck”]
Kill Bill on 4 and 5? :santa_afro: :santa_angry: :santa_grin: :buck2:
[/quote]
Well, every movie can’t be number one, can it? :wink:

[quote=“Jack Wolfgang”]

Then I think I saw True Romance, Natural Born Killers and From Dusk Til Dawn. I can’t remember the order but I loved them all. Well, Natural Born Killers went a little over my head at the time. I didn’t get the satire then but nowadays I love it too. I think that’s the only movie that would be worse if Tarantino did it. Don’t kill me…

[/quote]

Johny, you grab his legs, I’ll grab his arms, and we’ll toss him from that cliff over there :wink:

The first Tarantino film I saw was Reservoir Dogs, when my dad bought it me for my fourteenth birthday – I’m still not sure why he did actually, because I wasn’t really into this kind of movie back then.

Anyway, it sat on my shelf gathering dust for a few months and then I saw From Dusk Til Dawn when it was on TV, and I liked it, and I remembered seeing Quentin Tarantino’s name on the Reservoir Dogs case, so I figured I might as well try watching it.

I didn’t expect Tarantino to have this much of an impact on my life, but four years later, here I am, still watching Reservoir Dogs with as much excitement as I did the first time.

I’m not sure which came along next: Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown. I remember my dad buying me Pulp Fiction, and my mum bought me Jackie Brown which was one of my first DVDs. I was really surprised that my mum bought it me, actually, as she doesn’t like QT’s films at all. Anyway, Pulp Fiction was another life-changing experience for me, I was completely blown away by it, and I remember watching it three times on the day I got it, then going to the hairdressers the next day and getting my hair cut exactly like Uma Thurman’s because she was that cool. I didn’t really like Jackie Brown when I first saw it, but going back to it when I was older and I appreciated it a lot more.

Waiting for Kill Bill to be released on video was agony for me, because I so wanted to see it in the cinema and there was no way I would pass as 18. But I love both volumes only a little less than I love Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction …and my dad bought me a Samurai sword and yellow track suit for Christmas that year. Again I say, Uma wasthat cool.

I had just gotten out of the mental ward and was perusing the magazines in the magazine section of the library. When I saw a picture of QT on the cover of one of the zines. I thought, that’s my soul mate. I had read a small article about Pulp Fiction. About somebody having to be taken out in a streatcher after the needle in the chest scene. I smiled a sadistic smile and said “Cool”.

I read more and more about QT and how our lives had coinced in so many ways. It’s strange. The love of pop culture, television addiction, growing up. I didn’t realize that I had already seen Reservoir Dogs and thought it was the coolest film I had ever seen.

From the moment I saw Pulp Fiction on the big screen. I was obsessed and needed QT shots everyday. I learned to appreciate movies for what they were no matter how horrible they may seem. I became a movie glutton.

It was QT who opened me up to my dream of screenwriting.

The mental ward thing was a joke :smiley:

[quote=“roulette67”]
The mental ward thing was a joke :smiley:
[/quote]

I was bout to say…

I don’t sound like a fan saying that the first Full tarantino movie i saw was kill bill volume 1. I had in the past seen small parts of pulp fiction and from dusk till dawn, but never the whole movie (I don’t know why). After 2002, I watched every Tarantino movie within a month, and bought all of them within 2 months. A very quick obsession started ;D He has become my #1 favorite director by far and I have done projects on him, art peices, and have a mass amount of memorabilia in my room.

The first time I saw Reservoir dogs…it ended when i least expected it to…and I thought to myself, what the hell is with this movie? That’s no ending?! Then I watched a 2nd time, then a 3rd,…and realized how creative and brilliant it was. And my oppinion of film in general almost completley transformed…and from then on I had more respect for creative dialouge. Without Quentin, I wouldn’t be on my way studying filmmaking…because his movies made me realize how much potential a movie can have. 8)

When I look back on it, the first Tarantino movie I ever saw was Jackie Brown- I was 7 at the time. Yeah, quite a weird age to see such violence, and when I saw ol’ Deniro with that young piece of ass, I was- to say the least- shocked. Anyway, I then saw Pulp Fiction at about the age of 9 or 10, and I was blown away. Later, at the age of around 12, I saw Mr. Orange screaming in the back seat of a little car, being told that he was going to be O.K. A few years go by and I see True Romance. Then in around 2004, I see Uma Thurman swing a sword a couple of times and then a year later, Sin City makes its way to the scene. And just today, I see Killing Zoe.

Alright.

Jackie Brown, what I remember of it, was boring. I recall some black guy in the boot of a car and a shotgun for some reason. I don’t remember the plot, because I didn’t even have a clue what it was about.

Pulp Fiction was absolutely ground-breaking, and I still see it today as one of the best movies around. I loved almost every minute of it, but especially the times that Bruce Willis is involved. The wrist watch scene, for instance, as well as the samurai sword bit with Zed, the ol’ dog.

Reservoir dogs was slightly disappointing compared to Pulp Fiction, especially since I think I built it up a little after knowing that Quentin Tarantino was involved. Still, the ear scene had me literally feeling sick.

True Romance is incredible, and nearly on par with Pulp Fiction. Excellent plot and great acting. Christian Slater, what a man. Plus, he looks like he hasn’t aged since that movie.

Kill Bill was an incredible let down. I found it boring, too much slash and hack. You knew she was gonna win every single fight, it was inevitable. I liked the cartoons, however. Unfortunately, I’ve been put off by it to watch the rest of the Kill Bill movies.

Sin City was excellent. I loved the style and almost fifties language and acting. Mickey Rourke was, and let’s note that I don’t use Americanisms often, awesome. Really great acting, and looks a lot like the drawn character from the comics.

KIlling Zoe started off slowly, but once I got into it, I found it pretty cool. Eric, the character ( I think he’s played by some guy called Jean-Hughes), was brilliant. Plus, I liked the French tinge which was thrown in.

Favourite movies by or somehow connected with Quentin Tarantino for me are:

Pulp Fiction

True Romance

Sin City

What about you?

Well i all started when i was a year from leaving high school (15). I used to stop over with my mate Chris alot and one night we decided to go and get a rental. We chose Pulp Fiction his brother rented it for us as we were to young lol.

We sat silently throughout the movie (which was unusual for us :wink:)and from there we were hooked on QT movies. We would go the cinema to see his new releases and still to this day we sit round at each other apartments watching movies.

I now have my dad hooked on his work and he has nearly all of the DVDs.

I have a massive movie collection also with about 30 DVd’s and over 300 Videos.

What can I say?

I watched Pulp Fiction. 10 years later I’m still hooked. :wink: