Your Tarantino history

So it’s the summer after 11th grade and with Kill Bill still in my obsessions, I go to Hollywood Video and decide to rent Reservoir Dogs. I was highly entertained and enjoyed it a lot, but everything felt a little hollow and I wished that it was at least 10 minutes longer. Still, I couldn’t get the intro scene with the gang walking along to “Little Green Bag� out of my head, and watched the movie 2 more times before I returned it. Later that month I rented Jackie Brown and loved that movie even more. I again watched it 3 times and replayed the part where Samuel L. Jackson turns on the Strawberry Johnson song and shoots Chris Tucker several times. I really liked those films a lot, but knew that Kill Bill would murder them in their sleep. I could not tell you great the anticipation for (Volume 1) was. I visited aintitcool news everday, watched the teaser and trailer over and over on my school’s computer, and looked for any new pics from this movie that I could find. I remember being up at 5 in the morning (after staying up all night) one time when my parents were gone and seeing the pic where O-Ren decapicates the Yakuza and Uma Thurman in the coffin and reading the QT interview with Fangoria magazine. But shit, I would go to the bookstores and every other magazine would have something about Kill Bill in it. I read every article I could find and when the movie finally came out, I was floored. Some parts were just as I had imagined and some weren’t, but I still loved the movie like I have never ever loved any other movie (except maybe Good, the Bad, and the Ugly). So most of all, I’m a Kill Bill fan and I respect Tarantino more because of his film likes, but I still really like his first 3 flicks.

friend of mine was obsessed by pulp fiction and couldn’t stopped talking about how great it was, so i went over to his house to watch it so i can shut him up, this took place around 1999

now im a bigger QT fan then him

Some years back, a buddy of mine owned a VHS copy of Pulp Fiction and asked if I’ve ever seen it, to which I replied, “No, never heard of it.”  He gave me a weird look, and literally said, “prepare to watch the greatest movie you’ll ever see.”  Afterwards,  I was so amazed and loved the movie so much.  I looked up who Quentin Tarantino was, and rented all of his movies the next day.  I loved Reservoir Dogs as well (though not as much as Pulp), and thought Jackie Brown was mediocre (I still think it is).  I then heard he was coming out with a movie called, “Kill Bill” and thought, “wow, that’s the coolest title ever.”  The rest is history.

My brother was talking about a movie called Pulp Fiction, he said it was a cool movie and I was like: so what, there are more cool movies. Then my nephew asked me if I saw Pulp Fiction, he said that if I saw it I would love it. Then there was this guy from school who was talking about how good Tarantino is, so then I eventually bought Pulp Fiction and I loved it so much. One month later I watched almost all QT movies.

Once upon a time… when From Dusk Till Dawn first showed on British TV, I watched the first like 15 mins and liked what I saw. I thought George Clooney and that other guy’s partnership was really good, and that it would be a promising film. I didn’t watch it all because it was time for me to go to bed (I was very young). I later found out that the ‘other guy’ was called Quentin Tarantino, so I was looking forward to seeing more films he had starred in. Anyways, a few years later, I watch a film not knowing what it’s called and it’s a scene where a wigger is inviting Christian Slater to eat with him (yes True Romance) I thought his (Gary Oldman’s) acting was great, and wanted to see more films he had done. I didn’t know that this film was called True Romance, and back then I didn’t normally want to know who directed what and such. I just watched films for my entertainment.

Anyways, cut to the year 2003 in the month of June, I began watching a film on Sky One. I couldn’t look away from the screen. I was hooked. After the film finished I knew I had just watched the best film I ever saw. The acting, the direction, the characters, the dialogue, the music, the cool-factor, it was all perfect. That film changed my association with film forever. It was off course… Pulp Fiction. I had never seen a film like this before, and I wanted more!! I set about trying to find out who made it. It was this Quentin Tarantino fellow who I had no knowledge of except he starred in From Dusk Till Dawn. I couldn’t believe I had not heard of him before or any of his films. I thought from then, this guy must be a fuckin’ genius!!

Anyways, I proceeded to watch the rest of his films. I watched Reservoir Dogs (again on the same channel) and thought it wasn’t better than Pulp but still excellent. I heard he was going to make a new film, Kill Bill and went to see that straight away. The rest is History. I also was happy to know that he too loved spaghetti westerns, and his use of Morricone music compliments my wishes. QT made me get more into films. I now want to know who directed, produced, scored, wrote etc any films I watch. The knowledge I have of the film industry is on the account of my interest in Tarantino. I am now a really fuckin huge QT fan and talk about him or his films everyday of my life, such was the extent of the impact this movie geek made on me. I also, can’t get enough of this forum!!!

I always figured I would hate his stuff because of all the acclaim from critics like Goober Ebert. But then a friend lent me the KILL BILL VOL. 1 DVD and then PF and then…Hey, this guy is okay. It’s film critics who should bathe in blood and their towels burst into flames.

I guess I’m what you’d call a newbie. My first exposure to a Tarantino flick was two years ago, I went to my video store, and asked my friend who worked there if he knew any really good crime films that they had there. So he took me to the drama section and showed me these three movies, one called “Reservoir Dogs”,the next “Pulp Fiction”, and the third “Jackie Brown”.

So I took home watched 'em, and WOW. Ever since then I’ve been trying to get the most up to date info on Tarantino and his projects, until that point I had for the most part been a slave to mainstream cinema.

i remember the band “silverspoon” was being interviewed by MTV, the asked them what their favorite movie was and the said “pulp fiction”. so i sadi to myself “these guys are fucking gay and make lame ass wanna-be heavy metal music, fuck them and theyre favorite movie”. for some odd reason i ended up renting pulp fiction shortly after. after that i saw from dusk till dawn, and i must say i hated that movie. that was the only time ive seen it. then i saw jackie brown, and liked it. followed by rd, which i dont really care about. bassically im a pulp fiction fan. HOWEVER, i dont know if a coincidence or not, but every since then ive become more and more of a movie freak. pulp fiction still remains one of my grestest movies of all time, and im coming to terms that that movie will never be duplicated or substituted. anyone want to hear my wes anderson story though???

The year was 1991, critics and reviewers kept hyping some new phenom named Quentin Tarantino and his new film Reservoir Dogs, well let’s just say I listened to them then followed the release True Romance and Pulp Fiction which paved my love of QT films in stone. Haven’t been the same since. Then QT outdid himself (how is that possible?) with Kill Bill, and delivered the KO punch that would change the face of cinema forever for me personally.

I saw From Dusk Till Dawn first… I guess…

Or Pulp Fiction. I don’t remember. I was so young that nobody wanted to let me in the cinema, said the flm will be bloody and sadistic.

Anyway I liked his movies a lot. And I live in this time, so I can wait for new films by Tarantino. Not like Hitchcock… but I haven’t seen a lot of his movies, so it’s just the same. Waiting for the next creations.

I was wondering how some of you guys first got into QTs movies and what ur first reaction to it was. For me, my first QT experience was with KILL BILL VOL 1 and I thought it rocked awsomely (is that a word, it should be). However, it gave me a wrong impression of what QT films are like. Watching KILL BILL, I assumed that all of his movies are super gory and bloody. When I went back to watch his others, I was surprised (in a good way) to find minimum gore and more dialogue. From then on, I became a QTaholic. NE ways… if this topic has been done already, you guys can forget the topic and just use this thread to cuss me out. umm… bye!

you fucking bastard…you should go to hell and die for this topic!!

Now hear me: GO TO HELL AND DIE!!! you cocksmoker!!

uhm…In I believe mid '90 ties I saw a part of pulp fiction…and I was pretty much really into the coolness of it…

After that I was looking for other stuff he had done…and he didnt dissapoint me…and from then on he just kept on trucking with making cool movies!! It really feels like discovering a hidden treasure…

I was 14 when I saw Jackie Brown on TV and I totally loved it. A couple of months later Pulp was on TV and I thought it was even better. I really wanted to see Dogs but it took a little while because there wasn’t any dvd on sale in Finland. Luckily I found a VHS and rented it and about a year later bought the dvd when it was released. So, I quess I became a fan of Quentin when I was about 15 and ever since I have became bigger and bigger fan.

And Kill Bill Vol.1 was ‘The movie experience’ that I will never forget. I had to drive 120 km to see it when it opened (of course it later came to my home town too.) I was 17 and the film was rated 18, so I wasn’t even sure if I could get in. But I did. So, there was I sitting in a theatre watching a Tarantino movie on a big screen and being scared that someone would come to me and ask my age. And of cource I loved the film and went to see it 3 more times when it opened in my hometown.

The whole KB experience continued next spring when I was waiting for my japanese KB dvd and not being sure whether it would arrive before my trip to Rome. It arrived the same day. So I came from school at 4 pm, pack my things, go to my friend house and watch KB, go back home to get my things and then to airport and straight to Rome.

[quote=“ray nicolette”]
I was wondering how some of you guys first got into QTs movies and what ur first reaction to it was. For me, my first QT experience was with KILL BILL VOL 1 and I thought it rocked awsomely (is that a word, it should be). However, it gave me a wrong impression of what QT films are like. Watching KILL BILL, I assumed that all of his movies are super gory and bloody. When I went back to watch his others, I was surprised (in a good way) to find minimum gore and more dialogue. From then on, I became a QTaholic. NE ways… if this topic has been done already, you guys can forget the topic and just use this thread to cuss me out. umm… bye!
[/quote]

Sorry, but you are to late with this topic.
We already have it! It is called your[b] Tarantino history[/b]. so I will merge this with the other one.
Please check out our topics before opening a new one. Thanx!

I guess it all started when I was at my buddies place a couple years ago and I wanted to borrow some flicks. I saw a movie called “Pulp Fiction” and I had remembered seeing it at video stores and looking like a pretty cool flick. I grabbed that one and watched it later when I got home. I thought it was a pretty okay movie, didn’t tickle my fancy or anything, but it was cool. A couple months went by and I was watchn the tube and they had a marathon called the “Quentin Tarantino Marathon” on a movie channel. I guess they were showing all three of his films (at the time) and I had just caught the beginning of Jackie Brown with Ordell, Louis and Melanie chilln at the beach house. I started watching it and I loved it, but unfortunately I was on my way out and couldn’t finish it. Months went by and I asked my buddy, who is a super big movie buff, if he knew who Quentin Tarantino was. He was telling me that he’s a kick ass director and he writes all his own movies and shit. I was like, that’s cool what movies did he direct? Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown! I had seen Pulp Fiction and about 10 mins of Jackie Brown. He lends me Reservoir Dogs and I watch it. Kick ass movie. Loved it. Then - the Collector’s Editions of Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown came out and I was excited to pick them up. Watching Pulp Fiction on DVD with stereo and me being interested in Quentin’s work helped me enjoy it much more than I did before. I fell in love with it and it became one of my all time favs. I loved Jackie Brown even more than Pulp Fiction and my Quentin Tarantino craze was beginning. My brother had a Pulp Fiction poster in his room and I stole that and pinned it to my wall. I was a fan of Quentin Tarantino. Not a hardcore fan like I am today but I loved his movies. Fast forward a year or two and I’m talkin to my cousin on MSN. He asks me If I’ve heard of this new movie coming out called KILL BILL. I’m like no is there a trailer? He sends me the link and I see THE 4TH FILM BY QUENTIN TARANTINO written on the site. I jizz my pants and watch the trailer. It ends. My jaw hits the floor and I start crying, the rest is history. So really…Kill Bill is what set me off to be a Tarantino fanatic. That’s my story.

I bought Pulp Fiction from blockbust used section. Watched it many times. Bought Fdtd. Watched it many times. Bought Jackie Brown. Watched it many times. Bought Resevoir Dogs. Watched it a few times. Waited in anticipation for KB. Took for fucking ever. Date got pushed back. Weinstein the greedy bastard “suggested” to split it in two. Waited longer. Saw v1 three times in theater. Twice at home. Saw v2 twice at theater. 0 times at home. Refuse to buy either until its one movie and the fight scene is in color.

I was about 14 when I first saw PULP FICTION,I had it taped cause I wasn’t home so I couldn’t watch it, that was back in '98. I was very impressed by Travolta’s performance and so I watched the movie again.After a while I just laughed my ass of because Samuel L. Jackson was just so damn funny during the whole scene. Anyway,I watched it over and over again.

Then, maybe that same year or a year later my parents told me they were gonna watch From Dusk Till Dawn, my stepfather told me it had a sexy scene with Salma Hayek so I was like “Ohh hell yeah!!”

And I watched it and saw Tarantino for the first time I asked “who is he?” my parents told me it was Quentin tarantino,the guy who directed the movie and also directed Pulp Fiction. And I was like " oooh so he’s that mastermind huh…" From Dusk Till Dawn was just fabulous, something totally different then Pulp Fiction, but I was stuned aswel by the great film-twist.

That same year I also read in a TV magazine that they were gonna play “Reservoir Dogs”. I knew that title cause my parents didn’t wan’t me to see it when I was younger and that I wasn’t gonna understand the movie. But now I could and I read that it was directed by Tarantino so…i watched it…at first I wasn’t as impressed by it like I was with Pulp but yet the movie was great. So I also watched it over and over and it realy grew on me.At this point in my life it’s still growing on me,I always discover some great things in the movie.

So,I guess I’m a fan since '98 - '99.

When I was 12 or 13 or 14. (I cant remember the actual age.) I saw a bit of pulp fiction at the end of a video. It had been taped over.

The scene I saw was The gold watch, but only from the part where Butch leaves the hotel to when he returns, then the tape ran out.

I really didn’t know what the fuck it was, I didn’t even know who Quentin Tarantino was, all I knew was, what I just saw was fucking awesome! I would watch that scene over and over again. I loved it so much!

So a little while later I finally saw the whole thing, and from then on I was a fan.

I first heard about Quentin Tarantino when Pulp Fiction came out in the UK, so i must have been about 6 or 7 lol. I watched Pulp with my Dad and Loved it (given i didn’t understand the vast majority of it), from then on i always wanted to watch the movies with “The guy with the big head” lolol, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I first watched both Kill Bill movies at my house in October 2004 (recommendation from someone really… special ;D) and before then I had read and heard about Quentin Tarantino being one of the best directors ever. I really really liked both Volumes, and just a few weeks ago got a rush from watching Pulp Fiction, loved that one too!!!