Scorsese vs tarantino

although stone wrote the screenplay for scarface which is really good.

I haven’t seen Platoon, but I have a strong feeling I’d agree. Knowing Stone, it’s probably overcharged with politics and stuff. I really have to see it before his die hard supporters kill me over here.

Anyway, no war movie beats The Deer Hunter

[quote=“Jjp”]
although stone wrote the screenplay for scarface which is really good.
[/quote]

Yeah, I still can’t believe it. It’s one of the best scripted films out there

[quote=“Bleach”]
I haven’t seen Platoon, but I have a strong feeling I’d agree. Knowing Stone, it’s probably overcharged with politics and stuff. I really have to see it before his die hard supporters kill me over here.

Anyway, no war movie beats The Deer Hunter
[/quote]

yeaaa deer hunter is great. platoon is really good movie but nothing compared to kubricks vision of nam.

Do you like Apocalypse Now? I’ve got to check it out once more, but last time I saw it, which was long ago, it sucked. I only have bad memories.

FMJ is awesome. Did you notice how Jarhead kinda ripped off its beginning (if you’ve seen it)? Anyway, I love them both.

My top war films:

1. Saving Private Ryan
  2. Apocalypse Now Redux
  3. Full Metal Jacket
  4. Platoon

I don’t want to count The Dirty Dozen or GBU or any films like that as I don’t really see them as “war” films.

[quote=“Ify”]
My top war films:

1. Saving Private Ryan
  2. Apocalypse Now Redux
  3. Full Metal Jacket
  4. Platoon

I don’t want to count The Dirty Dozen or GBU or any films like that as I don’t really see them as “war” films.
    [/quote]

No doubt about SPR being #1, I would also put Apocalypse Now at #2 but the original Aprocalypse Now, not the redux. Then it’d be The Thin Red Line then Full Metal Jacket.

If you want to count movies like The Deer Hunter or Schindler’s List as war movies then they would definetly be at the top of the list for me.

[quote=“Bleach”]
Do you like Apocalypse Now? I’ve got to check it out once more, but last time I saw it, which was long ago, it sucked. I only have bad memories.

FMJ is awesome. Did you notice how Jarhead kinda ripped off its beginning (if you’ve seen it)? Anyway, I love them both.
[/quote]

i watched the redux it may be my favorite war film. i never seen jarhead.

I think in a war film the main character(s) has got to be a soldier or somehow involved in the war, participating in it. Therefore you can weed out Schindler’s List (never seen it, but I know it’s about holocaust and I bet the main plot is not about warfare), TGTBTU, The Pianist, Der Untergang and so on. Otherwise then, theoretically, even Casablanca is a war film.

Dirty Dozen, Great Escape - they all count. What would you say about Lawrence of Arabia? I don’t see it as a war film, though it sort of is…

My list then:

1. The Deer Hunter
  2. The Great Escape
  3. Full Metal Jacket
  4. Saving Private Ryan
  5. The Dirty Dozen
  6. Jarhead
  7. The Longest Day
  8. Bridge on the River Kwai
  9. Paths of Glory
  10. Flags of Our Fathers

I still haven’t seen Thin Red Line and Platoon. Also looking forward to Patton. Oh, and Cross of Iron

Comparing Scorsese to Tarantino is pointless because their films are so different. How would you compare something like Kill Bill to Goodfellas? That’s like comparing weed to alcohol. They’re both good, but they fuck you up in different ways.

War films…

1. CROSS OF IRON
  2. Bullet in the Head (If you count this as a war film)
  3. Full Metal Jacket
  4. Sands of Iwo Jima
  5. Army of Shadows

[quote=“Bleach”]
My list then:

1. The Deer Hunter

[/quote]

The first Russian Roulette scene is probably one of my favorite scenes in any movie all-time.

[quote=“Jack Rabbit Slim”]
5. Army of Shadows
[/quote]

The Criterion Collection DVD of this was one of their bests.

I know, I bought it ;D

i have never seen Army of Shadows i had it in my wish list for a while though.

[quote=“Jack Rabbit Slim”]
War films…

1. CROSS OF IRON
  2. Bullet in the Head (If you count this as a war film)
  3. Full Metal Jacket
  4. Sands of Iwo Jima
  5. Army of Shadows
    [/quote]

Damn, I just have to see Cross of Iron. It’s rarely among people’s fav war films but my guess is that it’s probably cause they have never seen it. People who HAVE seen it value it highly

James Coburn is great, I love the ending.

i love cross of iron as well… i would definitely put at least ONE sam fuller war film and the dirty dozen in my list… and I wish I could but Inglorious Bastard in it ;D

Tarantino, while I like his movies…he’s a pigment on Scorsese’s #&$*)%$)!! Scorsese is a film Legend. There are very view directors that you can compare him to. Just look at his filmography. One word: AMAZING!!

[quote=“Tino51”]
Tarantino, while I like his movies…he’s a pigment on Scorsese’s #&$*)%$)!! Scorsese is a film Legend. There are very view directors that you can compare him to. Just look at his filmography. One word: AMAZING!!
[/quote]

you are a pigment on a pig’s ass.