Once Upon a Time in Mexico

No information on RR’s next film, but I do have to say that I shelled out enough cash to see OUATIM three times in the theater, I enjoyed it that much. But, like some of y’all have said, the ending really left alot to be desired after you’d seen the rest of the film, I just really didn’t get along too well with El Mariachi bailing out the President and what not. All though Depp’s last scene was definately some good stuff, as well as pretty much any other scene with him in the film. That blind gunfight at the gates of the compound was to me well worth paying to see the film.

I love all of Rodriguez work - and yeah, even the spy kids movies. I can’t wait for his next film, but he doesn’t seem to eger to tell us about it. I wanna know!

Did anyone else get the DVD? I dont get it, in theatres, the movie was in scope, and RR even talks about it in some of the featurettes, and the DVD is in 1.78:1, i know he just cropped the top and bottom to make the scope image, but why do it in theatres if not on DVD? Also, in the main titles, the part that actually says “Once Upon a Time in Mexico”, which used to be in plain text, is now a yellow version of the logo?! What the fuck? Did anybody else notice anything different?

[quote]  That blind gunfight at the gates of the compound was to me well worth paying to see the film.[/quote]

word. i loved that scene. totally kick ass.

i was going to get the dvd today but they ran out of the el mariachi/desperado two pack so ill have to wait til tomorrow to go to the other best buy and get it.

The DVD is great. “10 minute cooking school” and “Inside troublemaker studios” was so fuckin’ great. Great commentary track as usual - RR says he wrote “Agent Sands” for Clooney. Go get the DVD!

he wrote it for clooney? i must have missed that. seriously if anyone else played that role OUATIM would have sucked.

and speaking of the commentary track what do you think about that spin off that RR was joking around about with Johnny Depp? i mean Johnny is interested and RR seemed like it too. i think that would be awesome like a prequel sort of. we get to find out what Sands was like before

I saw it yesterday and I must say it was good. I would’ve appreciated it more if I saw Desperado first.

I bought the DVD a couple days ago…I hadn’t seen the movie prior to that but a bunch of buddies told me the movie kicked ass. I liked it a lot better than Desperado. Johnny Depp was by far the best part of that movie.

The whole film kicked fuckin ass. Depp, Defoe and Rourke owned this with their performances. The shootouts felt a bit “cut” like they probably intended it to be a bit more graphic and a bit less fast. But the action scenes were brillantly staged and chereographed, espeically when El Mariachi and Selma were chained together and they were swinging down the building and landed on the bus (El Mariachi anyone?) then there was that big-ass explosion. The plot seemed thick and a bit confusing, and the end didn’t piece it all together. It was either a poor direction flaw of Rodriguez or it meant you have to piece it together yourself by watching it again.

This was kickass-ness at it’s finest hour since Kill Bill this year.

7/10 Recommended  :slight_smile:

[quote]The plot seemed thick and a bit confusing, and the end didn’t piece it all together. It was either a poor direction flaw of Rodriguez or it meant you have to piece it together yourself by watching it again.

[/quote]
I agree 100% !!! I Just watched the DVD for the 1st time last night. Action was great, some cast, and the extras where top notch (10 minute Film school before the movie is a must). BUT, the film itself wasn’t as complete as “Desperado”. There were too many charectars and groups. I stopped really trying to figure out what the fuck was going on (who wanted to kill who and why), and just enjoyed the action.

Clooney would have brought more Badass and less comedy to Depp’s role. I put this 1 - 4th for Rodriguez!

Movie was OK. Loved Depp. 2nd movie this year in which he excells at playing a character in a mediocre flick.

[quote]

i dunno once just didnt feel that much like an El Mariachi movie to me and the action scenes in Desperado kicked so much more ass then the ones in once. especially that one bar fight where el shoot cheech

I haven’t seen El Mariachi.

[quote]i dunno once just didnt feel that much like an El Mariachi movie to me and the action scenes in Desperado kicked so much more  ass then the ones in once. especially that one bar fight where el shoot cheech
[/quote]

To my memory, Cheech was shot by his own men...right?

I rank them as such:
[i]El Mariachi[/i]-4 out of 5
[i]Desperado[/i]-3.5 out of 5
[i]Once Upon a Time in Mexico[/i]-3 out of 5

[quote]I haven’t seen El Mariachi. [/quote]

You should.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico ass rapes Desperado, IMO. Yeah, the bar shoot out was cooler than any one scene in Mexico, but after Buscemi dies, the movie goes right down the shitter. Mexico never reached the peak that Desperado did, but it stayed fast and interesting, never hitting the troughs that were the supposed climax of Desperado.

Fuck all of that. Just go see El Mariachi. It is the best one.

[quote]Once Upon a Time in Mexico ass rapes Desperado, IMO.  Yeah, the bar shoot out was cooler than any one scene in Mexico, but after Buscemi dies, the movie goes right down the shitter.  Mexico never reached the peak that Desperado did, but it stayed fast and interesting, never hitting the troughs that were the supposed climax of Desperado.[/quote]

I think they’re two different styles when it comes to action. Desperado was just in the style of the Hong Kong action movies with a touch of the western style. While OOATIM had more of a less stylish feel then Desperado. Robert basically tried to make OOATIM more like a western then an action film, and I think he succeeded there totally. I mean the shootouts were short but straight to the point in OOATIM. In Desperado the shootouts were a bit longer and more over-the-top. Take the blind standoff at the end of OOATIM with Sands and those two bodyguards, the mood, the feel, the music and the cinematography there made it felt like a western standoff of some sort while in Desperado it ends with another large shootout. In Desperado you see Selma and EL riding off into the sunset (I hated that ending) and in OOATIM you see where all the characters go, and how they all interact with each other for the last time, making peace and basically saying “until next time” to each other. And I also agree further that in Desperado the movie REALLY drags low direction-wise and acting wise after Busecmi gets killed. OOATIM is my favorite in the Mariachi series. Followed by Desperado and the original EL Mariachi.

[quote]

To my memory, Cheech was shot by his own men…right?
[/quote]

i cant remember right now. i know el and another man were shooting at each other and cheech was hiding. but since you bring it up he may have been in crossfire

EL points the gun at Cheech. He hears the guy running up to him from behind him he moves and the guy shoots Cheech. Then EL kills that guy by breaking his neck.

I saw this in theaters, and rented the DVD last week. I’m still not sure how I feel about it. It’s definitely a movie that’s worth seeing, but I can’t figure out whether I like this movie or Desperado better. I’m leaning towards Desperado, personally. Johnny Depp was amazing, but he always is. I just felt like you could tell that this movie was written and shot very quickly. I like a lot of the cinematography, but I think it could have been edited better. The editing seemed like the most rushed part of the film.

But it’s still a pretty fucking good movie, and I’ll purchase the DVD eventually. As is the case with Mariachi and Desperado, it’s worth buying just for the director’s commentary, if you’re a wannabe filmmaker. I love Rodriguez’ commentary, and it supported my theory that within five years (give or take a few years), nobody will even bother shooting on 16mm or 35mm. It’s just a huge waste of money.