[news] Grind House buzzer

Great News!!

I just saw my first Official Grindhouse commercial on Comedy Central (8:25am)! It was totally awesome!

The voiceover guy stated that “most films have certain explicit scenes that cant be previewed on TV…but GRINDHOUSE…HAS THEM ALL!!” haha! 8)

Totally cool TV spot. Look for it!! 8)

I think that they should release the double feature w/ missing reels uncut by the MPAA first, then a few months later release the full cuts separately, edited for content.

Just saw it again!!! (8:56 am)

Folks, Grindhouse is just around the corner!! :slight_smile:

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Id say he has more in common with a director like Sergio Leone as opposed to Stanley Kubrick.
[/quote]

I agree with you but this comparison adds fuel to my fire. Alright, QT isn’t Kubrick, my next statement is a sweeping generalisation because you could literally write shelves of stuff on this but SK has got the psychological thing locked down where as QT is about the visual.

So from this perspective QT is much more like Leone, but that comparison doesn’t really work because QT’s best work can’t stand shoulder to shoulder with Leone’s, take Once Upon a Time in the West as an example. Leone’s film is all about style, yet it surpasses this and approaches the sublime.

I think QT is a significant director and could be as important as Leone (for example) but not if he continues to make film’s like Kill Bill 1 & 2.

www.ArtsWom.co.uk

[quote=“ArtsWom”]
I agree with you but this comparison adds fuel to my fire. Alright, QT isn’t Kubrick, my next statement is a sweeping generalisation because you could literally write shelves of stuff on this but SK has got the psychological thing locked down where as QT is about the visual.

So from this perspective QT is much more like Leone, but that comparison doesn’t really work because QT’s best work can’t stand shoulder to shoulder with Leone’s, take Once Upon a Time in the West as an example. Leone’s film is all about style, yet it surpasses this and approaches the sublime.

I think QT is a significant director and could be as important as Leone (for example) but not if he continues to make film’s like Kill Bill 1 & 2. [/quote]

Im sure even QT would admit hes not as good as Leone directorial wise, but QT definitely is one of The Sons of Leone (I just made that up) in cinema and he may be the best of them in his own way.

Why do you think Kill Bill is less a work of art than any of Leone’s films? Its a beautiful work of multi-cultural post modern pop art IMO. I think its sublime in its own way. QT is QT. Hes the guy everyone is trying to copy these days. His dialogue and characters are always great and his visual style is getting better and better with each film.

I think the way you look at movies is different from mine because you sound like you think if a movie doesnt deliver a significant statement on life or about society, its worthless. Whatever happened to just liking a film if the director tells an entertaining genre story (in QTs case genre reinvention) with interesting characters, beautiful visuals and music?

You simply cannot say Tarantino hasnt delivered in ALL those areas. See what Im saying?

NOTE TO US TV VIEWERS:

Sunday 3/18 - Sci fi Channel 9:00pm and 10:00pm - QT shows exclusive clips from the film during brand new episodes of battlestar galactica and the dresden files.

Sunday 3/18 - FX: 12:00am - Making of Grindhouse.

Sunday 3/25 - TNT: 7:00pm and 9:00pm - QT hosts Kill Bill 1 and 2

That stuff about Quentin not having a visual style in Pulp and RD so irritates me. RD looks so fucking beautiful and the combination of close-ups and wide-shots(which QT may have took from Leone but uses very much in his own way) is all througout his first film. Everything isn’t as spectacular als Kill Bill but Kill Bill lend itself for spectacular visuals. In Pulp and Reservoir Dogs it would have been totally out of place.

I think with each film, QTs getting closer and closer to being as equally brilliant as a visual stylist as he is a dialogue stylist.

Pics from the ShoWest awards:

<LINK_TEXT text=“Latest Stills - IMDb … 0.jpg.html”>Latest Stills - IMDb</LINK_TEXT>

<LINK_TEXT text=“Latest Stills - IMDb … 0.jpg.html”>Latest Stills - IMDb</LINK_TEXT>

It seems like all QT does these days is goto shows and win awards. haha.

Here’s some more pictures from the ShoWest awards

http://r-mcgowan.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=375

New pics of Kurt, Zoe and Tracie and The Vanishing Point Dodge Challenger:

http://www.cinemastrikesback.com/?p=1546#more-1546

When I looked at that car I think I got a boner :wink:

This one is the best. RR aka Mr No Eyes, and look at his hand, he looks as if he was about to take his gun and shot someone. Rosario Dawson is so funny and QT as always looks at cute girls (and has this weird smile).

[quote=“PopeyePete”]

Why do you think Kill Bill is less a work of art than any of Leone’s films? Its a beautiful work of multi-cultural post modern pop art IMO. I think its sublime in its own way. QT is QT. Hes the guy everyone is trying to copy these days. His dialogue and characters are always great and his visual style is getting better and better with each film.

I think the way you look at movies is different from mine because you sound like you think if a movie doesnt deliver a significant statement on life or about society, its worthless.

[/quote]

Pete i think we’re on the same page here, reading the same thing but the idea of post modern pop art to me is something that is by definition a statement on a statement on a statement and therefore substance wise is someone else’s work re-figured for a new generation. This however good visually/stylistically is at some level a cop out.

I agree totally with Jelle about RD and PF being much more visual interesting because you feel things happening where as KB is glossy, is like watching a cinema of mannerisms. This while cool, doesn’t compare to his early work.

Hey I didn’t said they were visually better. Just different. What film of his I like best depends a lot on which one I have seen the latest since they’re all so great.

is that an actual film or a fake trailer in grinhouse?

Fake Trailer.

[quote=“ArtsWom”]
Pete i think we’re on the same page here, reading the same thing but the idea of post modern pop art to me is something that is by definition a statement on a statement on a statement and therefore substance wise is someone else’s work re-figured for a new generation. This however good visually/stylistically is at some level a cop out.

I agree totally with Jelle about RD and PF being much more visual interesting because you feel things happening where as KB is glossy, is like watching a cinema of mannerisms. This while cool, doesn’t compare to his early work.[/quote]

Well post modern art is a real kind of cinema. So if Kill Bill is a cop out, so arent films like Godard’s Breathless (a French take on the Hollywood gangster film) Leone’s Once Upon A Time In The West (a commentary on all of Leone’s fave westerns) and Joe Dante’s entire filmography.

Kill Bill is definitely a departure from Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. It was QTs highly stylized Grindhouse genre blender as revenge/action film. It was not based on conversations and real life like his other movies are. But if you know that going into it, you accept it for what it is and can enjoy it more.

What you are essentially saying is youd rather see QT making movies that arent fantastical like Kill Bill. You want him to stay in reality.

http://www.austinfilm.org/film/grindhouse

See Grindhouse in Austin on the 28th.

Fuck that look at the prices!

[quote=“cyber-lili”]

[/quote]

That shirt that Tarantino’s wearing is the same one he wears in character in Death Proof. In fact just about every photo I’ve seen of Quentin during production has him wearing that same shirt.

Change of topic, does anyone know when the Premiere will be showing?