Kill Bill Movie reference (please contribute)

[quote=“Sylvia”]
So it’s not about zombies! :o :o :o

I always believe it was a Romero or Fulci homage… :-</E>

Shame on me :-[
[/quote]

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t the script say something to the equivalent of a “Fulci-Zombie hand bursting out of the grave”?

[quote=“Laydback”]
If I’m not mistaken, didn’t the script say something to the equivalent of a “Fulci-Zombie hand bursting out of the grave”?
[/quote]

:o :o :o

You’re right!!!

The Bride’s hand breaks the surface…then like one of

Fulci’s Zombies, Claws, Digs, and Pulls herself from mother

earth’s womb.

I don’t know if this is mentioned (stupid search engine) but the shot underneath the staircase in the HOBL scene is very similar to a shot under staircases from Once Upon a Time in the West, when HArmonica goes to meet Wobbles (the guy with suspenders AND a belt) and starts beating him.

City Of The Living Dead :stuck_out_tongue:an that reveals Beatrix’s grave is also used in City Of The Living dead.

“Bambi Vs. Godzilla”. Anybody remember it? It’s a short animated film that consists of two images. The first is Bambi, peacefully grazing as butterflies flutter about. The next is Godzilla’s foot, stomping her flat. It’s an almost punk rock animation, boiling the art form down to its essentials. Anyway, I’d be willing to bet that the fish-stomping story Bills tells the Bride about B.B. was inspired by the short film.

poor bambii :’(

Yeah, that’s the one. It’s even simpler than I remember. ;D

I don’t know if this is mentioned before, but I don’t feel like going through 9 pages. Anyway, I just saw the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode ‘Breakdown’ (season 1, episode 7). There was this guy who was in a car accident. He broke his neck and he couldn’t move anything because of that, you could only hear him think. After some time a few people came by and they robbed him because they thought he was dead. Then he figured that the next time people came he had to move something to show them he was alive. When you hear him think: “If only I could move… move a little bit” we see this shot:

Interesting. QT has been on record as saying that he isn’t all that keen on Alfred Hitchcock and prefers films influenced by Hitchcock for example the films of Brian DePalma. However I guess that he is a big fan of the television series ‘Alfred Hitchcock Presents’. You may or may not be right about that particular shot (who knows) but consider the fact that his segment in ‘Four Rooms’ was based on an ‘Alfred Hitchcock Presents’ story.

I saw a Twilight Zone episode with Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery as two survivors after a big war. They are both soldiers who are enemies. The title of the episode is “Two”. This reminded me of the first chapter in Kill Bill.

[quote=“Vince Vega”]
I don’t know if this is mentioned before, but I don’t feel like going through 9 pages. Anyway, I just saw the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode ‘Breakdown’ (season 1, episode 7). There was this guy who was in a car accident. He broke his neck and he couldn’t move anything because of that, you could only hear him think. After some time a few people came by and they robbed him because they thought he was dead. Then he figured that the next time people came he had to move something to show them he was alive. When you hear him think: “If only I could move… move a little bit” we see this shot:

[/quote]Cool!

[quote]RESERVOIR DOGS = the radio station Kbilly¸ black suits for the Crazy 88s

HANEY CAULDER = Plot concept

LADY SNOWBLOOD = Plot concept

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE = Plot concept

MS. 45 = Plot concept

HARD TO KILL = Plot concept (I could go on forever, but I’ll stop here. I don’t know why people who say they don’t like the film fail to note the story comparison.)

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY = The Bride’s beat up face

THE DOLL SQUAD = DIVAS concept

MODESTY BLAISE = DIVAS look

HONEY WEST = DIVAS look

FIVE DEADLY VENOMS = Naming system for DIVAS

FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH = Ironside theme preceding ass-kicking

SWITCHBLADE SISTERS = The Bride vs. Vernita (?)

THEY CALL HER ONE EYE = Elle

DEAD AND BURIED = fake Nurse killing someone

BLACK SUNDAY = fake Nurse killing someone

DRESSED TO KILL = Split screen as Elle is approaching

BLACK LIZARD = Idea of a queen of Crime in Tokyo

KAGE NO GUNDAN = Hattori Hanzo, the name “O-Ren�

GOLGO 13 = Assasination during anime sequence (I also feel I’ve seen the guy who killed O-Ren’s dad, but can’t place him)

MILLER’S CROSSING = O-Ren killing the two bodyguards.

GREEN HORNET = Kato masks of the Crazy 88s

INISHIRO HONDA MONSTER MOVIES = miniature sets over Tokyo (specifically, WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS although the sets are from GODZILLA GMK)

GOKI, BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL = Orange sunset against the sky while plane is landing.

PULP FICTION = Red Apple cigarettes

GAME OF DEATH = The Bride’s outfit for the finale (also used in HIGH RISK)

PROJECT A 2 = Dual level architecture of House of Blue Leaves, as well as catching the axe mid air (used again by Jackie in Shanghai Noon)

TOKYO DRIFTER = Glass floor of House of Blue Leaves

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON = O-Ren throwing the small dart (probably used well before that, but I don’t know where)

SHOGUN ASSASSIN = House of Blue Leaves fight

CHINESE BOXER = House of Blue Leaves fight

ICHI THE KILLER = House of Blue Leaves fight (minor touches)

ZATOICHI FILMS = slice down a ton of minions before squaring off with the boss.

ZATOICHI CHALLENGED = Snow setting for final sword dual.

BATTLE ROYALE = GoGo killing guy in bar. (A good name for a review of Kill Bill – either positive or negative - could be “Battle Royale with Cheese.�)

SUKEBAN DEKA = Deadly Japanese schoolgirl with ball and chain.

THREE FANTASTIC SUPERMEN = Go Go’s Ball and Chain hand weapon (kind of)

MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE = Go Go’s Ball and Chain hand weapon with blades extended (also music cue as O-Ren heads back to her room)

SHANGHAI NOON = Go Go’s technique with the weapon (perfectly mirrors Jackie’s technique with the rope and horseshoe. Heck, Jackie might have done this in an earlier film as well for all I know)

SCARAMOUCHE (1952) = The Bride vs. Gordon Liu swordfighting on the railing.

SANJURO = fountain of blood from a sword dual. (I know it’s a standard in many Samurai films, but Kurasawa seems to get credit for inventing it)

JAPANESE CINEMA IN GENERAL = Kabuki fight in HOBL with silhouettes

EATEN ALIVE = “I’m Buck and I like to Fuck�

YAGU FAMILY CONSPIRACY = “If you want revenge, you have to be willing to kill God or even Buddha�

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE = Shot of Gogo walking out of room, revealing Uma on the ceiling (could be a million things, like Dr. No, too)

GET TO KNOW YOUR RABBIT or TAXI DRIVER = Overhead tracking shot(s). Since QT is a fan of both directors, it really could be either

SHAW BROTHERS MOVIES = “Shaw Brothers Zoom� although I’m not convinced they were the first to do it.

GREASE = “Pussy Wagon� lyric in Greased Lightning

REFERENCES NOTED ELSEWHERE, BUT I CAN’T CONFIRM

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST = Story inturruptus for O Ren Ishii’s backstory

REFERENCES LISTED ON IMDB THAT I CAN’T FIGURE OUT

COME DRINK WITH ME

KING BOXER

ENTER THE DRAGON

SISTER STREET FIGHTER

KILLER ELITE

EXIT THE DRAGON, ENTER THE TIGER

LAST HURRAH OF CHIVARLY

NEW GAME OF DEATH

DUEL TO THE DEATH (stepping on the sword? In Volume 2?)

IN THE LINE OF DUTY(1986)

TAI CHI MASTER (1993)

SAMURAI FICTION[/quote]

so u r saying all of these connections are included in the movie ? thats awesome

[quote]REFERENCES LISTED ON IMDB THAT I CAN’T FIGURE OUT

KING BOXER[/quote]

King Boxer and Five Fingers Of Death are the same movie, so the reference in this case is also the Ironside Music.

@killerinstinct: that’s only the tip of the iceberg

About 20 years ago there was a series on television that was a remake of The Twilight Zone. It wasn’t very successful and only a few episodes aired. There was one episode that really fucked me up where a prison inmate worked out a deal with the undertaker which would aid her escape. She was to get inside a coffin and be burried with the body, the undertaker would then dig her up that evening. There was only sound for half of the movie and the screen was black…she was talking to herself “when’s he comming?”, “where is he?” “hurry up”…then she lit a match only to discover that she was burried with the man who was supposed to dig her up. The camera rose above the grave and showed the leaves blowing throughout the graveyard with her screams in the background. I wonder if QT saw that one.

[quote=“Vince Vega”]

[/quote]

I saw one just like that where the guy was in a Mexican hospital that had old equipment. The guy watched as they broke out the saw used for cutting into a skull. They were going to perform an autopsy. that was whacked!

Is that based on a Stephen King story? I remember reading something like that… The guy in the short story got bit by some snake or something which paralyzed him.

The guy in this Hitch presents episode ends up in the hospital as well.

It was a long time ago. I really don’t remember much except for that fucking voice inside the guys head saying “I’m alive, I’m alive!”

God, I loved a lot of those short stories, I have many recorded in casettes, could watch them again, although my favourites are missing.

Remember the one which was called “The Open Window” or something, where there’s a nurse killing maniac in the town, and the story tells about two nurses and a traumatized patient in a far away house, when there’s a great thunderstorm. One of them realizes that the basement window is open, and, fearing that the maniac could use it to climb in, goes downstairs attempting to close it.

I really love it, the most enjoyable, frightening and thrilling and with a perfect ending.