John Woo

MaHnIgGaBeAuMoNt

I was lookin on line for all those john woo movies you guys suggest and i was wonderin which one would be a good one to start with. i already seen the killer, but it was so long ago, i kinda forgot what it was about

Bullet:

Well the first flick that got him into HK Mainstream was A Better Tomorrow. But he did scores of low-budget Kung Fu and Comedy films. Not to meantion a swordplay film. But if you’re looking for his action films I suggest:

Hard Boiled

A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2

Bullet in The Head

I’m not the biggest fan of The Killer but look into it if you want too. The majority like The Killer. I don’t.

[quote=“tarantino_is_god”]
white smoke, riligious themes, double guns, flying doves, mirrors reflecting danger…

I love it that these things keep coming back in his movies!!!

woo kicks asssssssssssss! one of my heroes!!! along with QT, RR and scorcese…
[/quote]
Yeah.

My list:

The Killer(Better than Qt. Sorry but I love it so much more.)

Bullet in the Head(My second favorite Woo movie).

A Better Tommorow

Windtakers(A certain person rants about how much he hates it. I love it.)

Hard Boiled(Not as good as his other movies but great the jazz score hit home with me.)

Own but need to watch

Face Off

Better Tommorow 2

Paycheck

He is my favorite director along with Sam Peckinpah and Kevin Smith.

A better Tomorrow is a harmless Soap Opera compared to other gritty Heroic Bloodshed Flicks.

Leslie Cheung and Ti Lung and also Waise Lee are quite good in it, but CYF himself ? no…

Watch Bullet for Hire , Big Heat, Legacy of Rage instead

A better Tomorrow 2 is embarrassing and laughable, except the action scenes. Chow is better though.

Just Heroes: all star cast, Stephen Chow as menacing killer, bloody shootouts

Heroes Shed no Tears: his most gory movie, i think. a non-stopping war action pic…

Once a Thief: entertaining caper flick, great chemistry, some good action stuff. jokes are sometimes silly

Hard Boiled: enough said. 120min action sequence

The Killer: masterpiece…but i don’t like the woman, and Danny Lee is Cop again

Bullet in the Head: enough said

as for the US - Movies, my ranking:

Hard Target

Face Off

Broken Arrow

Windtalkers

Payback

MI 2

tv stuff i don’t count

Last Hurrah For Chivalry: A masterpeace. Sometimes it may look a bit cheap but it has everything you would expect from Woo: Great action scenes with high body count, themes of friendship and honour… It’s like The Killer but instead of gangsters we have swordsmen. It also also has a beautiful theme song that almost made me cry.

A Better Tomorrow: One of favourite films of all time. A romantic Heroic Bloodshed film with both good story and great action. Pure Woo. And I thought Chow was pretty good in this film.

A Better Tomorrow 2
: kind of a mixed bag. It features some of Woo’s careers best and worst scenes. Except the ending Chow’s scenes are simply bad. Dean Shek went totally over the top. But Leslie Cheung was great and Ti Lung wasn’t bad either. The action scenes were not as good as I would expect from Woo.

The Killer: the normal version is exellent, but the “taiwanese version” (20 min longer) is much better. That version includes more characterization and better action scenes and make it the best action film ever. Some of my favorite scenes are cut out from the normal version.

Bullet in the Head: One of the best war movies ever made.

Once a Thief: Highly enjoyable film even though sometimes things doesn’t make much sense. Very romantic and much lighter than the usual Woo films

Hard Boiled: Great, but it’s missing what made ABT and The Killer so great: a good story.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Last Hurrah For Chivalry: A masterpeace. Sometimes it may look a bit cheap but it has everything you would expect from Woo: Great action scenes with high body count, themes of friendship and honour… It’s like The Killer but instead of gangsters we have swordsmen. It also also has a beautiful theme song that almost made me cry.

A Better Tomorrow: One of favourite films of all time. A romantic Heroic Bloodshed film with both good story and great action. Pure Woo. And I thought Chow was pretty good in this film.

A Better Tomorrow 2
: kind of a mixed bag. It features some of Woo’s careers best and worst scenes. Except the ending Chow’s scenes are simply bad. Dean Shek went totally over the top. But Leslie Cheung was great and Ti Lung wasn’t bad either. The action scenes were not as good as I would expect from Woo.

The Killer: the normal version is exellent, but the “taiwanese version” (20 min longer) is much better. That version includes more characterization and better action scenes and make it the best action film ever. Some of my favorite scenes are cut out from the normal version.

Bullet in the Head: One of the best war movies ever made.

Once a Thief: Highly enjoyable film even though sometimes things doesn’t make much sense. Very romantic and much lighter than the usual Woo films

Hard Boiled: Great, but it’s missing what made ABT and The Killer so great: a good story.

[/quote]
I can’t find the tawianese version anywhere. It wouldn’t help anyway, it is still my favorite movie ever made. Nothing can imatate its coolness.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Hard Boiled: Great, but it’s missing what made ABT and The Killer so great: a good story. [/quote]

You know, the later Infernal Affairs resemble Hard Boiled in some points and even sequences very much.

Don’t tell me, IA hasn’t a good story…

I’ve only seen the first IA and it had a good story. Tony Leung’s character in Hard Boiled is exellent and Mad Dog was good too but other characters are very simple. There’s no characted developement when it comes to CYF. The story is not bad, it’s just pretty simple. But that’s not a big minus, HB is still one of my favourite action films. It’s just missing the ‘heart’ that made ABT and The Killer so great.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
I’ve only seen the first IA and it had a good story. Tony Leung’s character in Hard Boiled is exellent and Mad Dog was good too but other characters are very simple. There’s no characted developement when it comes to CYF. The story is not bad, it’s just pretty simple. But that’s not a big minus, HB is still one of my favourite action films. It’s just missing the ‘heart’ that made ABT and The Killer so great.
[/quote]
Dude Cyf is a cop who has a bad life when it comes to love. He loves Jazz and hated for being “too violent”. How can you go wrong?

[quote=“Mr.Blonde”]
Dude Cyf is a cop who has a bad life when it comes to love. He loves Jazz and hated for being “too violent”. How can you go wrong?
[/quote]
Yeah, but a romantic hitman is more interesting to me.

About the taiwanese version:

There’s a French 2 disc release that features the taiwanese cut on disc two. Only disc two has english subs (burned). There’s two problems.

1. Subs are not so good (they go too fast)
  2. It doesn’t seem to be the correct language version. This was the version I first saw of The Killer and it was also one of the first HK films I saw so I didn’t even notice that at first. It may be mandarin version but I’m not sure. Technical quality of the dvd is otherwise okay, but newer releases probably beat this easily.

But because it’s the longer version I fell in love with I can’t even watch the normal version. I tried but it just felt strange as it was missing so many scenes that are in the longer cut. But if you are a fan of the normal version, then this soundtrack issue may be a problem (it would be for me if I were you)

dvdzone2.com is for sale | HugeDomains

The Killer

http://sb.gojensen.no/?p=14&more=1

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Yeah, but a romantic hitman is more interesting to me.

About the taiwanese version:

There’s a French 2 disc release that features the taiwanese cut on disc two. Only disc two has english subs (burned). There’s two problems.

1. Subs are not so good (they go too fast)
  2. It doesn’t seem to be the correct language version. This was the version I first saw of The Killer and it was also one of the first HK films I saw so I didn’t even notice that at first. It may be mandarin version but I’m not sure. Technical quality of the dvd is otherwise okay, but newer releases probably beat this easily.

But because it’s the longer version I fell in love with I can’t even watch the normal version. I tried but it just felt strange as it was missing so many scenes that are in the longer cut. But if you are a fan of the normal version, then this soundtrack issue may be a problem (it would be for me if I were you)

dvdzone2.com is for sale | HugeDomains

The Killer

http://sb.gojensen.no/?p=14&more=1
    [/quote]
    What is the difference bettween them and by the way Hard Boiled isn’t my favorite woo movie and it is pretty low but give it more of a chance. CYF can do more than a crook. Yes a romantic hitman is funner but come on he isn’t really just that. Anyway I thought Simon Lam in the brilliant gangster movie Bullet in the Head was like Chow Yun Fat’s hitman twin.

[quote=“Mr.Blonde”]
What is the difference bettween them…
[/quote]

WARNING: SPOILERS

Okay, here’s some examples of differences between these two versions of The Killer. There’s about 20 min of new footage. Many scenes are longer and feature more dialogue. Action scenes are also longer and have more camera angles and slow motions. I’ve only seen the normal version once so I don’t remember all changes. But here’s a few that I happen to remember:

One of my favourite scenes takes place before the church finale. We see Sidney drinking wine and trying to get enough courage to go claim Jeff’s money from the gangsters.

After the car chase we see a new scene that shows Jeff and Jenny having a breakfast. Sidney arrives, tastes the food and says that Jeff’s cookings taste like dog food.

A short scene showing the black suited assassin chasing Jeff. He arrives to the place where Li performed the �surgery� and finds finds the bandages.

The finale is edited differently (much better way). In normal version Jeff and Li run out from the church, shoot a couple of bad guys, go back in, have a short conversation about their names and the go out again. In longer version they don’t come out yet, they have the conversation first and then they go out and kill pretty much everybody. Editing looks much smoother this way.

It is also explained where all that smoke came from during the finale (smoke granade)

In the end Jeff actually hits a couple of times that gangster who kills him in same scene.

WARNING: SPOILERS

[quote=“Mr.Blonde”]
Anyway I thought Simon Lam in the brilliant gangster movie Bullet in the Head was like Chow Yun Fat’s hitman twin.
[/quote]

Simon Yam.

The role was written for Chow Yun Fat actual.

Don’t think, he was brilliant, he just fit. Like other Yam roles far more, and BITH should be focussed on the 3 guys.

“The films are Honor Among Thieves (1968), starring Charles Bronson and Alain Delon; Rider on the Rain (1969), with Bronson and Marlene Jobert; and The Prone Gunman (1982), featuring Delon as a hitman.”

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=9551

[quote]His next film will be Paramount’s remake of 1970’s The Red Circle[/quote]

:o. What the fuck does he think he can add??!!

Yeah I don’t like the idea about The Red Circle. What’s the point in remaking a movie already viewed upon as a good movie (money of course). But I LOVE “The Thriller Collection” idea. Finially someone who has the guts to remake smaller movies. Maybe that’s why he’s remaking The Red Circle, to get the permision to remake the thriller movies.

Le passager de la pluie, i love that film

John Woo should not touch it

Mean while Chow Yun Fat is making “The Wretched” & “Deadly Deception”

According to Production Weekly, The “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” star will topline “Deadly Deception”, a gritty action thriller that casts the genre legend as a Hong Kong cop who travels to L.A to solve his sister’s murder.

John Leguizamo, playing against type, is the film’s villain - a devious mastermind whose the brainchild behind a conspiracy that will rattle our visiting cop.

Co-starring Roselyn Sanchez [“Rush Hour 2”], the film, written and directed by James Fargo, is set for a mid-May shoot in Hong Kong, Argentina and Los Angeles.

As previously reported, Yun-Fat is also set to star in a new gothic western/horror called “The Wretched”, playing a a bounty hunter on the trail of zombies. That one kicks off it’s shoot in June.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/5597.html

“The Wretched” sounds a cool movie!

WHY DOESNT JOHN WOO MAKE FILMS LIKE BACK IN THE HK DAYS???

He was teh undisputed king, when HK filmmakers come to america their films get lesser and lesser, but when American filmmakers pay homage to their films, they are getting beter and better.

JOHN WOO MUST WRITE HIS FILMS!!! That is what is missing…

screw john woo

I’m still mad over the tmnt 4 movie not being made >:(

The absolute best thing would be if John Woo went back to Hong Kong. His best stuff is there and they could use him now seeing as it is the third largest film industry in the world (well, China is, but Hong Kong is part of that lol).

But if he isn’t willing to do that, he should at least write, direct and edit like he used to do back in the old days. i think his writing definitely has something to do with his excellent films.

We need to see a return to form for Woo! His best work is too far behind him.