• Windtalkers
  • Hard Target
  • Broken Arrow
  • Paycheck
  • Hand of Death / Shao Lin men
  • Just Heroes / Yi dan qun ying
  • Heroes shed no Tears / Ying xiong wei lei

0 voters

I am starting to become a fan of Woo. I have seen Face/off, MI2 and Windtalkers(great Navajo story but relentless) I was wondering if movies like THE KILLER, HARD BOILED and BULLET IN THE HEAD would be avaliable at my local video store?

When I was younger I was a big fan of Woo. I still like to watch some of his earlier Hong Kong action films that I have on DVD (Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2). His Hollywood films have become very one note and boring to me. Other than Face/Off, I dont think Woo has done anything very good. His style has become very cliche as well.

Well… I think his style has become very cliche beacause there’s a lot of directors that started to immitate him, don’t you think?

I mean, let’s be honest I may like Robert Rodriguez first Mariachi film, but Desperado… it’s a fucking Woo movie! After that one, John Woo had to escape from that cliche and do Broken Arrow without his style.

Well, that’s what I can see.

[quote]Well… I think his style has become very cliche beacause there’s a lot of directors that started to immitate him, don’t you think?

I mean, let’s be honest I may like Robert Rodriguez first Mariachi film, but Desperado… it’s a fucking Woo movie! After that one, John Woo had to escape from that cliche and do Broken Arrow without his style.

Well, that’s what I can see. [/quote]

Cliche?  Yeah, I guess it has.  But the original John Woo movies are CLASSIC, even though they're all basically the same story, more or less.  It really is a shame he went Hollywood.  His Hong Kong films from the 80's were great.  I gotta get "Hard Boiled" though.  Later.<br/>

M.W.

Cliché or not, there’s no denying his earlier films. I haven’t got around to seeing his early-early stuff (Last Hurrah for Chivalry, etc.), but I’ve seen pretty much everything between Heroes Shed No Tears and Hard Boiled. I’m a pretty big Woo fan, and it’s been sad seeing how his films have went downhill like they have. It’s happened to almost every Asian export, especially those from Hong Kong. The only Asian director I’ve seen make the jump successfully was Takeshi Kitano with Brother. It wasn’t Sonatine, but it was pretty good and that’s more you can say for any of Ringo Lam, John Woo or Tsui Hark’s films.

I still haven’t given up hope on Woo, after seeing his “The Hostage” short I feel confident he still has the talent to competently shoot an action film. Don’t know what it’s going to take to get him to do it though.

John Woo is one of my all-time favorite directors. Nobody makes action films like John Woo. Hard-Boiled is one of my top-ten favorite movies. I loved The Killer. I need to find Bullet in the Head and Last Hurrah For Chivary. I never seen Hard-Target, I think i should avoid that one. A Better Tomorrow II was way too cool for school.

Yeah! I know what you all guys mean… and don’t get wrong, I love John Woo’s movies! Is just that I didn’t like the fact that there are some clones (wannabes) trying to make us believe they’re so original with a style that is already settled by Woo.

Woo is the filmaker that made Tarrantino possible.His gunfights are like opera.Windtalkers was good.Did you seen it.The Killer is probally the best movie of all time.

white smoke, riligious themes, double guns, flying doves, mirrors reflecting danger…

I love it that these things keep coming back in his movies!!!

woo kicks asssssssssssss! one of my heroes!!! along with QT, RR and scorcese…

John Woo is my GOD Everything he touches is gold (His Hong Kong films at least) I’m waiting to see what paycheck is like

Lets keep this on the top so everyone will get into Woo!

The premise for “Paycheck” seems good. I hope Affleck doesn’t get too much on my nerves though.

John Woo’s next movie is another historical film with nicholas cage. its about the transcontinental railroad and the chinese who used dynamite to get through the mountains.

I am not a particular Fan of John Woo’s I’d say. I love his movies though (at least those I’ve seen).

His older ones:

• A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2 : Great movies, cool action
  • The Killer: Astonishing, yet low-budget movie
  • Hard Boiled: Incredible camerawork and action choreography

His newer ones:
  • Face/Off: well-made Hollywood action film
  • Broken Arrow: Nicely acted, well-made, but a no-art just-mainstream movie
  • Windtalkers: extremely stylish, well-acted but way too gory and unrealistic action movie

[quote]jesus what an asshole  :o

Woo is great.

Great Woo:

A Better Tommorow

The Killer

Hard Boiled

Windtalkers

Crappy Woo:

Broken Arrow

Face/Off

MI2

Windtalkers is very underrated.

[/quote]
Don’t let Starkey see that and glad too see your a fan of Woo. Have you seen Bullet in The Head or once a thief yet?

I think i’m going to have to call starkey and tell him to come on and go here.

Anyway, Woo’s hollywood shit blows. Broken Arrow was his best, and it wasn’t very good. Face off sucked ass, MI2 was ok, but nothing special. Windtalkers is supposedly a MASTERPIECE. Paycheck looks like royal shit. The effects look like dead babies in a blendor. They’re that good.

From all the movies I seen by Woo I liked them all MI2 sucked I liked the first one better. But Woo is still my favourite director and I love his movies.

[quote]I think i’m going to have to call starkey and tell him to come on and go here.

Anyway, Woo’s hollywood shit blows. Broken Arrow was his best, and it wasn’t very good. Face off sucked ass, MI2 was ok, but nothing special. Windtalkers is supposedly a MASTERPIECE. Paycheck looks like royal shit. The effects look like dead babies in a blendor. They’re that good.[/quote]
You should check out Woo’s earlier work. Anything he did in Hong Kong from Heroes Shed No Tears to Hard Boiled is worth owning. His films are melodramatic and it takes a special kind of person to get into them, but most people who dig on cult flicks tend to at least like The Killer and Hard Boiled. His Hollywood work has been utter crap, I didn’t even like Face/Off which a lot of people seem to dig.

I’m hoping Paycheck will let him catch his footing again. It may be being far too optimistic, but I’m hoping he can create a new name for himself, because I doubt he’ll ever rightfully return to the Heroic Bloodshed genre. Anyway, I’m rambling I think. :slight_smile:

I’m a fan of Woo as well. I liked films like The killer, Hard Boiled, Once a Thief, A Better Tommorow 1 and 2, Face/Off, MI2(I’ll admit it) and really want to check out paycheck and most of all Bullet in the Head. I didn’t find Windtalkers very appealing. I just didn’t care about it that much. But I’ll forgive him.

[quote]
You should check out Woo’s earlier work. Anything he did in Hong Kong from Heroes Shed No Tears to Hard Boiled is worth owning. His films are melodramatic and it takes a special kind of person to get into them, but most people who dig on cult flicks tend to at least like The Killer and Hard Boiled. His Hollywood work has been utter crap, I didn’t even like Face/Off which a lot of people seem to dig.)[/quote]

Oh i know. Don’t get me wrong, i only hate his hollywood stuff. The rest is mostly good.