John Woo

Region 2 and 1!!!

Hard Boiled kicked major ass. The story didn’t really sink in, because the first third of the movie starkey and i were just making fun of that stupid singing bitch, but i loved the action. I also loved the story, but like i said, it didn’t sink in in the beginning.

[quote]I didn’t think much of The Killer the first time I saw it too, because by all the hype from everyone I expected it to be Hard Boiled. I’ve watched it several times since then and it’s really grown on me. I reccomend it as much as any of Woo’s early works. If you’re looking for symbolism and graceful style, it’s probably the film with those elements put to best use.[/quote]

Thats exactly how I felt towards THE KILLER too…It was WAAAAAY too hyped. Every review I read of it told me I was gonna be seeing the most violent bloody film ever made. Which it wasn’t. And the story was a little boring.

HArd Boile on the other hand was pretty trick. The action scenes are spectacular! The whole Hospital scene is BRUTAL!

A Better Tommorow II is one of the worst films I’ve seen. Jeeze…the action shoot out scenes were awesome, but the story…? What was supposed to be going on here? I got so bored an confused with it that I just skipped to the actio scenes. It has one of the besyt ending shootouts EVER in a mansion where its basically 3 mofos against 300 mofos. BLOOD EVERYWHERE. Worth a rent just for the ending.

I saw Paycheck. I liked it. It’s in NO WAY in the same cailbur as Woo’s previous movies, but as a movie itself it was pretty entertaining. Plus, it’s got Uma Therman in it!

Question for DNS: Did you like The Matrix Revolutions?

[quote]I saw Paycheck. I liked it. It’s in NO WAY in the same cailbur as Woo’s previous movies, but as a movie itself it was pretty entertaining. Plus, it’s got Uma Therman in it![/quote]

I’ve got Uma Thurman as my avatar, does it make it as the same caliber as entertainment as John Woo’s PAYCHECK?

[quote]A Better Tommorow II is one of the worst films I’ve seen. Jeeze…the action shoot out scenes were awesome, but the story…? What was supposed to be going on here? I got so bored an confused with it that I just skipped to the actio scenes. It has one of the besyt ending shootouts EVER in a mansion where its basically 3 mofos against 300 mofos. BLOOD EVERYWHERE. Worth a rent just for the ending.[/quote]
Was it the fact that Chow Yun-Fat came back as his own twin? ;D Yes, yes, the film is silly, but it’s silly fun. If you watch it under the right circumstances it’s as great as anything Woo ever made. It’s only a shell to delivery killer action sequences and once you take that into consideration, it makes it easier to just sit back and laugh at it. And indeed, the mansion shootout is one of Woo’s best gun battles and easily some of his bloodiest work.

Actually one of the reasons he hated it was

[size=3]LUNG[/size]

He’s the reason why everyone hates ABT 2

Yes. He was fucking annoying.

Plus. what the fuck kind of name is “LUNG” anyway?

Hello Lung…meet Jar Jar Binks.

God, they should have their own movie together, where Lung can bitch and make noise while Jar Jar makes inaudible sounds while humping legs.

Nah Lung will still be in shock over someone getting shot.

Ahh, Dean Shek is annoying yes, but he doesn’t detract from my love of the film. He may have been a wimp through most of the film, but didn’t he end up taking like five bullets to the chest during that final shootout? And he lived! His ability to absorb bullets is only matched by every other good guy in the movie, with the exception of Leslie Cheung.

[quote]Ahh, Dean Shek is annoying yes, but he doesn’t detract from my love of the film. He may have been a wimp through most of the film, but didn’t he end up taking like five bullets to the chest during that final shootout? And he lived! His ability to absorb bullets is only matched by every other good guy in the movie, with the exception of Leslie Cheung.[/quote]

ahem…SCARFACE.

bleh, then again he did die at the end.

Therfor I refer to Jules and Vincent. BULLETS WENT RIGHT THROUGH THEM!

But Lung was annoying, almost ruined the hotel shootout.

[quote]Question for DNS: Did you like The Matrix Revolutions?[/quote]

Well, yes and no. I absolutely fucking loved it in some parts of it. Then in another parts it sucked penis. Not just one penis, many many penises. The fight at the end with the Smiths was kinda lame, and…just dont get me fucking started with the gayass ending. I never been fucked up the ass by ending so bad in my life. Fuck it was that bad. But besides the ending, I was glued to my seat. Besides the ending, I also felt the two sequels didnt explore the mind-blowing cool sci-fi themes that was in the original. But besides those things, I thought Revolutions was solid. Just dont remind me about the end and we’ll be fine. :wink:

[quote]Paycheck looks like a pile of feces. I think Woo has turned into the Asian Michael Bay these days. :frowning:[/quote]

I think he would be better compared to Brian De Palma…but you have a point.

Yeah true…Michael Bay never started out with good films. His films are always crappy. Whereas Woo started good and isn’t that great anymore. Brian DePalma though, I heard Femme Fatale was pretty bad. Blowout was boring, Carrie boring and overrated, Scarface is his best, havn’t seen Dressed to Kill.

Blow Out was awesome…but to each his own. As my mind works, John Carpenter would be the best comparison. He started out with great semi-low budget films, and his big budget films have all sucked.

[quote]

Well, yes and no. I absolutely fucking loved it in some parts of it. Then in another parts it sucked penis. Not just one penis, many many penises. The fight at the end with the Smiths was kinda lame, and…just dont get me fucking started with the gayass ending. I never been fucked up the ass by ending so bad in my life. Fuck it was that bad. But besides the ending, I was glued to my seat. Besides the ending, I also felt the two sequels didnt explore the mind-blowing cool sci-fi themes that was in the original. But besides those things, I thought Revolutions was solid. Just dont remind me about the end and we’ll be fine.  :wink:
[/quote]

Ok, then I’m not going to take your Paycheck recommendation.

EDIT: Blowout kicks ass. “How much ass does it kick?” you ask. Lots of ass.

Face off is his best latest work…I always thought thats it sort of a remake of the killer:

• sniper
  • church ending
  • speedboat racing
  • bad guy and good guy have simularities and have feeling with eachother and face off goes further: they actually have to be the other guy…
  • the moustache of cage…shooting with a sniper…reminded me of chow yun-fat
  • the usual John woo styling: doves, religious themes, mirrors reflecting danger, white smoke,double gun, fast shooting, very stylish shooting action, etc