How to get started with filming

also does anyone know of a place that sells cheap lighting equipment?

Here’s the thing:

I bought a shotgun boom mic last year for this movie. I had to rent a camera because I don’t own one. A friend of mine DOES own a camera, but it has no mic input. So, I guess you could say that I’m out a few bucks. What I did shoot, the sound came out fine. I also bought a video editor that did a pretty good job with the sound, so the extra noise was never a problem.

I was able to edit together a partial scene of dialoge during a carnival sequence, but it was so chaotic because we had to hurry the scene because of day light and my crew was starting to become annoyed, I think. Plus I was working with a six year old to make things worse!! (I’ll never work with children again).

Advise to the novice filmaker: Start small! -I wished I would have.

The way it looks, the only way this film will be finished if it’s sold to the right person.

yea i have never filmed a movie over 30 minuates yet i started out doing 10 minuate shorts it about 6th grad to build my self up.

By my screenplay(which is 180 pages…) should be around two hours long.

Oh well, we all start somewhere, don’t we?

yeaa im really trying to get money up to buy an 8mm camera and film to start learning how to shoot film i have been shooting video for over 5 years now and i need to shoot film because im planning on making a feature on 16mm when im 19-21.Yea i know how hard it is to work with young children i deicded one day to shoot a short movie with just me my sister (12) and my cousin (8) so i go to shoot it and it was the hardest shoot ever they did nothing but complained i had to keep hollaring at them to not make noise while i was filming and it is impossible no matter how many time you show them how to do something they never do it right…never had this problam filming movies with my friends around 16 year olds too and a couple 20 year olds but the only thing with them is the constant messing around and me having to put my foot down and everyone mad at me.

Well, the only real thing I have against kids is that they are particularly shy aroudn the camera. As this can also go for any age, kids also have a hard time being direct with what to do if they don’t know you. My big mistake. I did have his mother on the scene with him, but he still froze.

Get to know your kids. My initial bailed out on me on the last second, that’s why I was stuck with the kid I never got to know. And probably why he was so shy around us.

i just started my latest peice today, my first this year im actually gonna go fairly big for this one hopefully 20 minutes but will see what happens, how is weapon of choice going?

I wouldn’t feel comfortable recommending “cheap” equipment especially w/ sound. Anyway, mixers ain’t cheap! If you have the funding you might want to consider hiring a professional sound person. Or at least check out your local College or University’s film or music department. Most students will work cheap or for free for the opportunity of adding something to their portfolio. Ask to see samples of their work before you hire them. You MUST have good sound! there’s no point hiring someone who doesn’t know what they are doing.

Stop by your local Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy of videomaker magazine or you can subscribe to their magazine for $12 and get a new magazine every month for 12 months. They have “how to…” articles on just about every subject you can imagine. They also offer all kinds of seminars that cost a couple hundred dollars and are usually on weekends.

Before you buy try renting the equipment first. That way you won’t accidentaly commit to some over priced piece of junk that you can’t use.

Another good magazine is moviemaker. Although they don’t have nearly as much technical advice as videomaker.

Here are some websites to give you an idea of what’s out there. Don’t buy a mixer on ebay!

Sound Mixers

(click on the link that says “Pro Audio Mixers”- this will give you an idea of what’s out there. I’ve never purchased anything from them before so, just be careful.)

http://www.videomaker.com/article/1748/

(This is a great article in videomaker magazine on sound mixers)

http://www.videomaker.com/

(Here is videomakers main page.)

Here is a link on videomaker that offers all kinds of advice on lighting:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.videomaker.com/search/?cx=01 … %3A11#1440”>http://www.videomaker.com/search/?cx=016301996033947342722%3A-xsmlwign8w&q=lighting&cof=FORID%3A11#1440</LINK_TEXT>

Did I mention how much I like videomaker magazine?!

[quote=“Bkiddo”]
I wouldn’t feel comfortable recommending “cheap” equipment especially w/ sound. Anyway, mixers ain’t cheap! If you have the funding you might want to consider hiring a professional sound person. Or at least check out your local College or University’s film or music department. Most students will work cheap or for free for the opportunity of adding something to their portfolio. Ask to see samples of their work before you hire them. You MUST have good sound! there’s no point hiring someone who doesn’t know what they are doing.

Stop by your local Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy of videomaker magazine or you can subscribe to their magazine for $12 and get a new magazine every month for 12 months. They have “how to…” articles on just about every subject you can imagine. They also offer all kinds of seminars that cost a couple hundred dollars and are usually on weekends.

Before you buy try renting the equipment first. That way you won’t accidentaly commit to some over priced piece of junk that you can’t use.

Another good magazine is moviemaker. Although they don’t have nearly as much technical advice as videomaker.

Here are some websites to give you an idea of what’s out there. Don’t buy a mixer on ebay!

Sound Mixers

(click on the link that says “Pro Audio Mixers”- this will give you an idea of what’s out there. I’ve never purchased anything from them before so, just be careful.)

http://www.videomaker.com/article/1748/

(This is a great article in videomaker magazine on sound mixers)

http://www.videomaker.com/

(Here is videomakers main page.)

Here is a link on videomaker that offers all kinds of advice on lighting:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.videomaker.com/search/?cx=01 … %3A11#1440”>http://www.videomaker.com/search/?cx=016301996033947342722%3A-xsmlwign8w&q=lighting&cof=FORID%3A11#1440</LINK_TEXT>

Did I mention how much I like videomaker magazine?!

[/quote]

thanks i’ve been getting videomaker magazines for a while i would go and get sound people excetra but i wana learn directing writing editing cinematography lighting and sound recording.

[quote=“Jjp”]
also does anyone know of a place that sells cheap lighting equipment?
[/quote]
www.bhphotovideo.com

they are not the cheapest…but they are the must professional and honest online store. I bought a few cameras there and they saved me a shitload of $$$ and time. Beware of those discount online stores - they strip your merchandise of all of the accessories and sell them separately - you end up paying more, not less.

would soft lights work the best for all purpose lighting mini dv?

[quote=“Jjp”]
would soft lights work the best for all purpose lighting mini dv?
[/quote]
With soft lights you don’t need as much skill or experience. Hard lighting with “barn-doors” will of course give you more dramatic effects such as shadows and distinct lines - soft lighting will not. Basically, look at most fashion photography and you will see good examples of soft and direct lighting. These are very good for illuminating a subject and getting your point across crystal-clear. In movies however, you want to have dramatic effects - this will cost more money and require more experience or experimentation - which is to say - it will require more time and a more experienced photographer. The best way to learn is to start with still-life or portrait photography - you can use cheap tungsten lights now because the digital software can fix the white balance - the only drawback is the heat. Just buy a simple light kit with tungsten lights and what they call “barn-doors” - they are four-way flaps that direct the light to where you want it to go. Just start shooting!

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
With soft lights you don’t need as much skill or experience. Hard lighting with “barn-doors” will of course give you more dramatic effects such as shadows and distinct lines - soft lighting will not. Basically, look at most fashion photography and you will see good examples of soft and direct lighting. These are very good for illuminating a subject and getting your point across crystal-clear. In movies however, you want to have dramatic effects - this will cost more money and require more experience or experimentation - which is to say - it will require more time and a more experienced photographer. The best way to learn is to start with still-life or portrait photography - you can use cheap tungsten lights now because the digital software can fix the white balance - the only drawback is the heat. Just buy a simple light kit with tungsten lights and what they call “barn-doors” - they are four-way flaps that direct the light to where you want it to go. Just start shooting!
[/quote]
Listen to this man, he is the expert on lighting i learned heaps just from reading his posts!

btw kilgore do you do much movie work? or are you just into photography?

damn kilgore how do you know so much abour lighting?

you sound like a fuckin professional!

Kilgore i am training to be a director,writer,cinematographer and editor. i have alread shot enough films and i know all about angles and how to shoot people or objects correctly and how to write scripts and how to direct the one thing i dont know is lighting i bought tungsten lights a while ago but they get way to hot do you have an alternative of lighting that i could use to start to learn lighting?

yeah add an electric fan to cool it down!

I don’t have any other idea for you, maybe Kilgore does.

i tried that it kinda works my parents though the house was one fire lol.

why? cuz it moves the heat all around the house or what?

yea the scent of the hot lamps is circulated all around the house.

;D