Hostel Part II (2007)

Child’s Play scared me shitless. I need to watch them now, though. I think I might get into it.

Movies can make me happy, make me sad, disturb me and disgust me, however I never got REALLY scared by a movie! Its impossible!!!

The only 2 movies that ever scared me in my life were -

1. The Exorcist
  2. The Changeling

I don’t mind well-made gory movies, but they don’t scare me at all. They just entertain me in a twisted kind of way.

You are the only other person that I know who was scared shitless by The Changeling. I was scared shitless by that movie - and it wasn’t really all that scary. I always thought that the guy looked like Gargamel from the Smurfs. I couldn’t take a bath alone for a while - I was about 7 yrs old when I saw it.

I saw it when I was 18 and it still scared the shit out of me. The seance, the ball rolling down the stairs, the wheelchair…I have goosebumps right now just thinking about that film.

[quote=“Scarface”]

1. The Exorcist

[/quote]

Man when that movie first came it must scared the shit out of the audience

I still love the Friday The 13th and other 80s slasher movies. The reason is they are like the American version of the 70s Italian gialli (which Im a huge fan of)

Friday The 13th-Bay of blood

[quote=“Scarface”]
I saw it when I was 18 and it still scared the shit out of me. The seance, the ball rolling down the stairs, the wheelchair…I have goosebumps right now just thinking about that film.
[/quote]
I forgot about that old fucking wheelchair! Rember that little window on the third story of that old house? I live in a house with a little window like that - one time I looked up there and I swear to God I saw a fucking woman - was it a ghost? who knows, but damn…that fucking wheelchair.

lol - I’ll have to check this movie out now

Hostel 2, what a bad career move by Eli Roth. A boob fest that turns into a sadistic splatter movie, how uninspired.

and Hostel 1 wasn’t? Those movies couldn’t scare an agoraphobic. I like an intellectual mind-fucking movie - like Seven or Psycho. I went to see Seven with this girl that I used to live with - when we got home she said “you go in first and check everything out” - I must admit that I was a little scared to go in alone. I guess I could have used her as a shield to take some of the knife slashes while I made my get-away. ;D

Yeah I agree with you there nothing like a horror movie that sticks with you and fucks with your mind but like I said I like movies that are full of gore and movies that use everything other than gore to scare you like sounds.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre’s beginning music is scary

In response to the comments regarding my statement that “Eli Roth is one of the best film-makers out there today”, I stand by it (sort of :slight_smile:). What I meant by this statement was not that he is up there with all time greats or whatever just that he shows the most promise and has delivered the best films of the new generation of horror directors (the splat pack or whatever they’re called) and is amoung the most promising of new directors in general.

As far as the splat pack goes SAW 2 and SAW 3 were abysmal so dont say that that Darren Lynn Bousman guy is any good or Alexander Aja The Hills have Eyes remake was for the lack of a better term a big pile of shit. Films are totally subjective of course so i dont expect people to really understand why I think roth is a great director. Its all just really a question of your own taste and as a film-maker myself Roth makes the sort of films in the sort of style that I want to see (really impressed with the editor he used on hostel). Films that dont hold back, may offend some people and are good fun…and most importantly bare the mark of their director (I’m a firm believer in the auteur). Maybe its my obsession with movies from the eighties - the same ones that have influenced Roths tone and content…

I think Bousman and Aja are miles, and miles ahead of Roth. Rob Zombie (who is mediocre, DR was okay) is better than Eli Roth, IMO.

Okay? the music was fucking perfect in that movie! It went so well with the scenes.

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
In response to the comments regarding my statement that “Eli Roth is one of the best film-makers out there today”, I stand by it (sort of :slight_smile:). What I meant by this statement was not that he is up there with all time greats or whatever just that he shows the most promise and has delivered the best films of the new generation of horror directors (the splat pack or whatever they’re called) and is amoung the most promising of new directors in general.
[/quote]

I think it would be quite unfair to compare Eli Roth with the “all-time greats”, just now. He’s just now finishing his third movie and so far so good. Just give him time. He’s steadily climbing in my opinion.

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
In response to the comments regarding my statement that “Eli Roth is one of the best film-makers out there today”, I stand by it (sort of :slight_smile:). [/quote]

lol, you don’t have to defend yourself- your opinion is your opinion, and like ThaDuke said, its a little harsh of me to judge Eli Roth at this stage in his careeer. Its not as if Hostel and his other one were terrible or anything. Just me being picky.

[quote=“Naman”]
I’m sorry, I’m still laughing from the whole “I think Eli Roth is one of the best film-makers out there today” comment.

Now I normally respect the fact that everyone has an opinion, and that its no more valid than my own.

But thats just fucking hilarious
[/quote]

Yeah…I was a little harsh. Forgive me :wink:

Im sure he didnt mean that Eli Roth belongs to the list of Hitchcock, Kubrick, Welles, Scorsese, Coppola, DePalma, Lynch, Spielberg, Peckinpah and Lucas… What he meant is that he’s one of the best new upcoming directors… Actually come to think about it there arent any great American directors nowadays other than Tarantino and Rodriguez… Maybe Fincher, Oliver Stone, Spike Lee, Tim Burton and Kevin Smith… The Coen Brother are great but I dont think they can come up with another Big Lebowski… Plus I dont like the new direction that Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi are taking…