Death proof (spoilers!)

I still don’t think that Quentin changed the movie from his own will. But I would appreciate if you could throw me somekind of a link where he explains the change. There’s one video on youtube where he talks how the longer version is obviously the script version of the film. It’s at the end of the clip.

- YouTube

It’s supposed to look like the film is made up of prints that varies in quality. Like a real messed up print with scratches everywhere, a print with to much red, a print that B&W and a really nice color print.

that’s basically what QT said.

I can say okay.

That’s great.

You’re the one with sarcasm.

I’ve seen DP yesterday and the day before yesterday and chanches are I’ll see it again today.

2 questions and some comments:

who was the guy one girl sent “you’re an asshole!” to?

what was the whole piano music scene ? I think she sent messages to the dyke that got them weed. It seemed out of place, like she was messaging her lover, and was never referred to again.

It’s more Zoe Bell’s movie than it is Kurt Russells. I was suprised. He gets less screen time than I expected, I thought the movie was mostly about him. Zoe is adorable and seems very natural.

Just like all the other girls did. I loved how they were real-life women. It seemed like you were spying on them, kinda like in “Rear Window”.

QT introduces and builds up the characters of the first group of girls, just to have them all killed by Stuntman Mike in the middle of the movie. They weren’t even friends of the second group of girls or related in any way. It seems like they were just killed to show what Stuntman Mike is capable of doing and to have an gory death scene. But why build them up first? For the twists sake? I liked it anyway.

Brian Trenchard-Smith got a Special Thanks. The director of the classic BMX Bandits and Leprechaun 3 and 4. I like the guys movies and BMX Bandits is one of my favourite movies of all time.

Stunman Mike: “do you know any of the movies or people I’m talking about?” Haha oh man, how can we movie enthusiasts NOT relate with that?

In addition to some fake brands, QT used real brands for the first time: Chesterfield, Red Bull, Ray Ban

I loved the long take. From IMDB: “During the second half of Death Proof (2007), when the four women are talking in the cafeteria, it is all done in a single take that is approximately seven minutes long” Perfect.

who was the guy one girl sent “you’re an asshole!” to?:

that Chris Simonsen character, she sent him a message before, that she can’t wait to see him and obviously he didn’t show up.

(Another question for those who have seen the extended cut)

Was “the film print” you saw completely devoid of the scratchy, jumpy cuts?

Reason why I ask was because the Grindhouse version we (Americans) saw featured a “deteriorated/chopped” print which included the missing reel,multiple scratches/jumps,etc.

I only remember about 4 cuts. As followed:

#1-The opening song, “The Last Race”, isn’t played in it’s entirety. Rather than a fade-out, it’s abruptly cut during the credits.

#2-The girls who scream in joy at Julia’s billboards from a distance quickly vanish thanks to the jump cut. Mike then drives into the frame and replaces them.

#3-At the cafe, dialogue is repeated from one of the characters from a different camera angle.

#4-(Towards the end of the movie) There’s a very brief black-out-then-cut to Zoe climbing out the car window to do the stunt. (I’m sure this was QT’s nod to distributed-film owners who quickly wanted to cut to the action for their film print)

Was all the above presented in the extended cut? Any new ones?

All of these are included in the extended cut.

The lap dance scene also cuts suddenly.

[quote=“Mike Hammer”]
All of these are included in the extended cut.

The lap dance scene also cuts suddenly.
[/quote]

Alright, thanks. I thought it would’ve been a clever move on Tarantino’s part to make a “Pristine,un-edited,uncensored” version of the movie and I thought the extended would perhaps be it. Orignal title (“Thunderbolt”) and all. ;D

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
I’ve seen DP yesterday and the day before yesterday and chanches are I’ll see it again today.

2 questions and some comments:

who was the guy one girl sent “you’re an asshole!” to?

what was the whole piano music scene ? I think she sent messages to the dyke that got them weed. It seemed out of place, like she was messaging her lover, and was never referred to again.
[/quote]

Jungle Julia was texting Chris Simonson (the guy she liked). He disappointed her, thus the “you’re an asshole!” message later on.

That piano music sequence was one of my favourite scenes in Death Proof. The music is called “Sally and Jack” by Pino Donaggio. It was there to show how JJ was in her own world as girls often are when speaking to/texting the guy they love. All the surround sounds were silenced, and just the music played, while we see Jungle Julia texting Chris Simonson, telling him she can’t wait to see him. We see her sitting alone, away from the group. After she sends the message, she goes to sit down with them, she receives a message from him saying he misses her too and we see her smile as she thinks about him and sends a reply. I thought that was one of the most human moments from all of his five films. I loved that bit.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]

It’s more Zoe Bell’s movie than it is Kurt Russells. I was suprised. He gets less screen time than I expected, I thought the movie was mostly about him. Zoe is adorable and seems very natural.
[/quote]

And he’s all the more mysterious because of it. We hardly know him.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
QT introduces and builds up the characters of the first group of girls, just to have them all killed by Stuntman Mike in the middle of the movie. They weren’t even friends of the second group of girls or related in any way. It seems like they were just killed to show what Stuntman Mike is capable of doing and to have an gory death scene. But why build them up first? For the twists sake? I liked it anyway.

[/quote]

Wow, people complain when there is no characterisation and they complain when there is characterisation. You can never win. :-</E>

The reason why he built them up was so that the death scenes were all the more dramatic. If he just killed some random girls we didn’t know, we wouldn’t feel anything. QT is all about fucking with the audience, you shoul dknow this by now. So in building them up, we start to care for them, or atleast get to know them and we see that Stuntman Mike is a crazy lunatic going after innocent girls. I saw absolutely no problems with it. It makes perfect sense.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
I loved the long take. From IMDB: “During the second half of Death Proof (2007), when the four women are talking in the cafeteria, it is all done in a single take that is approximately seven minutes long” Perfect.
[/quote]

You do know that, that’s from Reservoir Dogs right?

Dude, after watching it twice within close proximity, you don’t seem to be getting it as much as you should do. Hmmmm…

[quote=“Laydback”]
(Another question for those who have seen the extended cut)

Was “the film print” you saw completely devoid of the scratchy, jumpy cuts?

Reason why I ask was because the Grindhouse version we (Americans) saw featured a “deteriorated/chopped” print which included the missing reel,multiple scratches/jumps,etc.

I only remember about 4 cuts. As followed:

#1-The opening song, “The Last Race”, isn’t played in it’s entirety. Rather than a fade-out, it’s abruptly cut during the credits.

#2-The girls who scream in joy at Julia’s billboards from a distance quickly vanish thanks to the jump cut. Mike then drives into the frame and replaces them.

#3-At the cafe, dialogue is repeated from one of the characters from a different camera angle.

#4-(Towards the end of the movie) There’s a very brief black-out-then-cut to Zoe climbing out the car window to do the stunt. (I’m sure this was QT’s nod to distributed-film owners who quickly wanted to cut to the action for their film print)

Was all the above presented in the extended cut? Any new ones?

[/quote]

The film print did have scratchy jumps. The prints got better as the film went along which is what probably happened in the Grindhouse cut.

1. Yes, that happens.
  2. That happens. Also, I think in the European cut, there are more instances where they scream at the billboards. They do it like 3-4 times.
  3. Yeah, Marcy Harriell’s character (also called Marcy) repeats some words as she speaks her first dialogue in the film.
  4. Yeah, I believe that happens too.

I don’t remember of any others. I’ve only seen it once. What I do remember is that the scratches and cuts etc were much more prominent in the first half of the movie.

By the way, the parts that were included in the proper cut were in my opinion some of the greatest scenes of the movie.

i can confirm that everything described by you is in the eu-cut, ladyback.

thanks for sharing your thoughts ivy. i do get the movie, btw. i get it plenty.

one more thing: i know i wouldnt want to see one second missing from the long version i´ve seen. no sir. i loved every single scene. the us-cut has to be worse.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
i can confirm that everything described by you is in the eu-cut, ladyback.

thanks for sharing your thoughts ivy. i do get the movie, btw. i get it plenty.

one more thing: i know i wouldnt want to see one second missing from the long version i´ve seen. no sir. i loved every single scene. the us-cut has to be worse.
[/quote]

Who the hell is ivy?

[Mary Elizabeth Winstead mode]I´m SO sorry![/Mary Elizabeth Winstead Mode]

Do you wanna fuck?

[Kim mode]Nigga, please![/Kim Mode]

so yeah, was there anything, any scene or detail in DP that you folks DIDN´T like?

for me, it was eli roth. not the fact that it was him, but his face, his character and his lines about wanting to get laid seemed out of place.

one question, where those two guys making fun of S. mike Acuna Boys? (eli and the little mexican) i read that on imdb i think.

oh yeah, and another thing:

Kim: "…gone in 60 seconds…the original. not that angelina jolie bullshit!"

lol! who else cheered in the theater after that line? i know i did!

I didn’t like Jungle Julia :stuck_out_tongue:

And the scenes with Eli Roth.

well i personally loved Death Proof.

do i think it’s Tarantino’s best film? No. is it still damn good though? yes.

things i INITIALLY disliked:

one of the main things i was initially disappointed with was that it wasn’t the full on slasher/horror movie i thought it would be.

i know QT was reinventing the slasher genre a la the crime/heist genre with Reservoir Dogs but in a way i felt he went TOO far this time.

for all it’s relentless reinvention and innovation, Reservoir Dogs still felt like you were watching a gritty heist movie.

apart from a few token creepy shots of Arlene noticing Mike’s car and the whole sequence from Rose McGowan getting into the car to the end of the crash (which i think is the darkest, creepiest thing QT ever wrote and directed incidentally) , Death Proof doesn’t play like a horror movie at all( i mean GOOD horror btw not generic cheesey crap) and of course, the second half is practically a whole other movie.

HOWEVER, I’ve noticed that the first half is EXTREMELY CREEPY ON SUBSEQUENT VIEWINGS. The part where Mike recites the poem gets me every time and that John Wayne impersonation…Yikes!

the other thing that also disappointed me at first was the seemingly endless dialogue…IN THE SECOND HALF ONLY.

i actually think the first half is flawless in that regard. but the second half was the only time where i thought ‘ok this is definately dragging’.

the car scene? great- establishes character and group dynamics (and vaguely mirrors the car dialogue in the first half)

the diner scene? - very long but vital in setting things up, more character development and group interaction, Mike in the background is awesome and a technical marvel.

THEN we get to Jasper’s place…and the movie ALMOST DIES IMO.

i know Tarantino wants us to ‘fall in love with a whole new bunch of girls all over again’ so we care about their fate, but at this point in the movie we already know Mike’s M.O and have a good idea what these girls are like but there is endless scene after scene of dialogue about the most minute thing. long talking scenes with Zoe and Kim, THEN Zoe, Kim and Abernathy, THEN Abernathy and Jasper THEN Zoe and Kim outside the car prior to the stunt. most of which could have been summed up much quicker without detriment to the film.

It doesn’t help that QT chooses to the shoot most of these scenes in static two shots- i’m not expecting zany camera work or MTV editing but it really made me conscious that the movie had slowed down to a crawl and i’m not sure if that was QT’s intention.

But of course once the chase was on it was plain sailing from there.

i’ll describe what i specifically loved about Death Proof in a later post but for now , i’m just expressing my opinion of i think is a flaw in an otherwise brilliant and subversive movie.

yeah it´s strange that it was announced as a horror movie, cause it sure isn´t one. but i couldnt be more happy the way the movie turned out.

i personally loved the pacing and long dialogue scenes. it has the same “hanging out with the characters” feel to it as Rio Bravo or Jackie Brown.

I think this movie was 100% brilliant. Yeah there was stuff out of place and long dialogue, but this was suppose to be a “grindhouse” movie. My opinion of the film is that! It was a grindhouse film and I just loved it 100%! It had calm scenes and it had intense scenes! It had funny scenes, and more funny scenes. The movie tried to be some chessy grindhouse flick, but you could tell it was a Tarantino movie. That is why I loved it. My two fav things in a movie, Tarantino and exploitation! A+ Mr. Tarantino. A+!