Wiki pages that need work

in terms of pictures, we’ve come a long way, but we should check all film pages and make sure we have lots more pictures. to all movies. posters from all countries, dvd covers (in good quality, without the white Amazon background) for all editions, our own pictures of characters and actors, as well as as much trivia, business, box office, awards and othe rmaterial we can gather.

we have to ask ourselves: what are people looking for?

I added a lot of pics and posters myself, plus dvd captures. I didn’t think of dvd covers. Where should we post them ? In the picture section of each movie ? Would be better than on the dvd pages… I’ll copy and paste all the news pics from the movies I added on the trademarks pages and the different guides. And I’ll try to find new ones. I’ll see what I can do.

Another thing, which could be useful. Make the wiki more popular and for that, create a poll(s) on the forum to know things like :

• how many time people go on the wiki (if they have only checked out it a couple of time or more often)
  • what they’re looking for (pics, text, informations, news)
  • if they expect things, which are not on the wiki
  • ideas/suggestions they can make to improve it.

I really think not to help and contribute to the wiki is one thing, you cannot force people and we’re already a good team, we can work fast and no complain. BUT it’s really a shame that for example old members or new active ones NEVER write anything about the wiki. We have NO suggestions from them, we never know when they go there, what they check out. In a way, it’s an handicap for us cause we don’t know clearly what we have to improve or no. I think we should really start a new topic, PM everybody, start a poll, or stuff like that and FORCE people to react. We cannot force them to visit it but we have to know what they think about it.

I’ll start a topic on the French board.

well i do have statistics…

as for the dvd covers, i’m just talking about the dvd pages where some dvd covers are not good enough quality, some are missing, etc

Tell me the stats if you can once. But I think it’s also a good idea to ask people directly, we never have feedback and I think members should do effort to react and help us. Especially members that are logged in all the time here or post a lot. I made a topic on the French board, I’ll tell you if people suggest me stuff or not.

BTW, I just edited the dvd caputes of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, I might re-organize the pictures sections cause there are too much on the same pages now. Maybe I should made a page with only the posters first. That’d be at least less confused. What do you think ? Like for Kill Bill and Death Proof.

yeah posters can be a separate or subpage of pictures for sure, that would make it easier as well.

finally moved the search bar up

I updated all the RD-PF-JB dvd captures section. Moved the posters on a subpage.

Completed the trademarks page, it’s almost over.

Added :

• The b&w shot from DP (section “use of b&w” all completed now)
  • The phone scene with Sofie Fatale and Jungle Julia and Budd calling Bill in KB vol 2
  • The bar scene with Esteban from KB vol 2, My Oh My Strip Club, and the bar scene from DP with Rosario Dawson/zoe Bell and so on (section all completed now)
  • The last trunk shot of Budd in KB vol 2 (section all completed)
  • The God’s Eye view of Budd looking at the money in his trailer in KB vol 2 and from The House of Blue Leaves
  • The car scenes (added : Bill coming to see The bride training, some missing car scene with Rosario Dawson and so on in Death Proof)

Still missing :
  • The phone scenes with Ordell talking to Beaumont ; Butch calling in PF and Vincent calling Lance after Mia’s overdose.
  • Some shots from the What’s on TV category.
  • The last record player close up from Death Proof.
  • Some of the Red Apples shots (from KB 2 when the Bride meets Esteban and from Planet terror when JT offers a pack to El Wray)

We’re almost over with this trademarks guide, I think. Only the few missing captures and maybe the gif anim for the 360° shots and long takes.

Edit : I added a lot of Death Proof captures and create a subpage too.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]

We’re almost over with this trademarks guide, I think. Only the few missing captures and maybe the gif anim for the 360° shots and long takes.[/quote]

Where’s all booze and coffee drinking shots? Also drugs and smoking shots missing!

Sorry if I’m understanding wrong way, my english is very poor level.

are those really tarantino-specific trademarks though?

[quote=“Sebastian”]
are those really tarantino-specific trademarks though?
[/quote]

Exactly. I can of course work on that. The coffee drinking shots belong to the restaurant & bar sections, I guess. And the drugs/smoking shots, I’ll think about it. But not sure it’s really a trademark. The Red Apple smoking IS a trademark for example, but not smoking in general.

doing drugs and smoking isnt a QT trademark. Its gotta have some specificity to it.

Well, what make’s car-drive/talking or restaurant/bar scene Tarantino-spesific? Or long and tracking shot’s? I don’t know any other director who’s used constantly booze (not always in bar), coffee (not always in restaurant), drugs and smoking things like Quentin.

How about kitchen, living-and bedroom shot’s? And hand/finger-shot’s. There’s also more briandepalma-stuff like split-screen and split diopter shot’s.

The problem is : to define the difference between a trademark and a recurring thing.

As it’s been said before, smoking/drugs/drinking coffee isn’t such a specific QT-thing cause it’s recurring in every movie or almost. Smoking Red Apple IS specific for example. If the characters drink some chartreuse again after Death Proof, it will be specific too. Smoking/drugs/coffee isn’t something I’m expecting in a Tarantino movie, when a new one is released. For example, tricky question : did you notice and underline when Jungle Julia smokes the pipe in Death Proof ? It’s becoming something natural, it’s not a surprising thing you want to see in one of his movies.

Concerning the places. I understand that you wonder why toilets/bathroom/bars/car are in the trademarks page and not the rest. Again, toilets are very specific place, not very cinematographic before QT made it a trademark of his own, you barely see no toilets in the other films. Cars are now becoming a very specific place too, Death Proof can prove it to you if you’re not satisfied. Plus there are recurring shots in cars, or specific shots in bars/restaurants (for example the 360° in RD and copied in Death Proof). And bars/restaurants/cars are more specific places cause the most important dialogues happen in there place.

Except the fight against Vernita Green in Pulp Fiction, what other scenes in kitchen is important ? Except the Superman monologue in Kill Bill vol 2, what other scenes are important in living room (don’t mention when Mia recovers from her overdose, this scene could have happened everywhere else in Lance’s house) ? I don’t see two or three important scenes in bedrooms (I know bedrooms are recurring but not important). Of course prove me wrong, that’s why we like to hear people’s feedback and the more feedback we can have, the more complete the trademarks guide will be.

I don’t think the split-screen can be in the guide too cause except of Kill Bill, it hasn’t been use either (maybe I don’t remember it) and it’s too De Palma. The split diopter shot is very De Palma too, THOUGH it’s very good point and I’ll add it in the guide cause indeed it’s recurring.

Another member on the French board mentions the zippo, that’s for example a more specific Tarantino thing. Not smoking and so on, but Red Apples and zippos yes. I’ll add the zippos too then.

Thanks anyway to open the discussion about the trademarks guide, and feel free to propose other things, which could be missing :wink:

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
The problem is : to define the difference between a trademark and a recurring thing.

I don’t think the split-screen can be in the guide too cause except of Kill Bill, it hasn’t been use either (maybe I don’t remember it) and it’s too De Palma. The split diopter shot is very De Palma too, THOUGH it’s very good point and I’ll add it in the guide cause indeed it’s recurring.
[/quote]

There are some split screen sequences in Jackie Brown (e.g. when Max discovers his gun is gone from the glove compartment).

Right, I had totally forgot about that. Then should we add this in the trademarks guide ?

I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a trademark. I think a trademark should be present in all or most of his films. I think at one point there was going to be a split screen sequence in Pulp Fiction. But he’s only used it in two films so I wouldn’t call it a trademark.

Also, there is a short animated-like sequence in Jackie Brown which shows the journey of the aeroplane, from take of to destination on a map. A similar sequence is in Kill Bill. Although you won’t see this is very many other films, I still wouldn’t say it’s a trademark because he’s only used it twice. Like the split screen sequences, it can be classes as a recurring concept.

I added the map shot in the guide cause even if it’s only in two movies, it’s still something very specific and uncommon (you don’t see it in much other movies). Maybe the split screen is like a trademark cause it’s a more commun style figure and too De Palma-like, so I always think it as an hommage more as his own style trademarks too. That’s why I asked the question, but if you do agree with me, let’s not add it in the guide. Though if other people prove us wrong, ahah, we’ll have to think about it again :stuck_out_tongue:

Well even QT called the split screen sequence the “De Palma sequence” so I don’t think it can be classed as a QT trademark. It’s difficult when he has only made 5 films as to what constitutes a trademark. If he doesn’t ever use the map shot again, can it still be classed as a trademark? A trademark is “A distinctive characteristic by which a person or thing comes to be known”.

I’ve looked at the page and I see that all those things are termed as trademarks. As it is, I feel we have enough freedom to add things like map shots and split-screen sequences as we’re not really seperating the “trademarks” from the “recurring” themes.

Excellent work on that page btw! I’m sorry I couldn’t contribute as I’ve been very busy the past couple of weeks. So whilst I’m on the subject, is there anything you want me to do? Also, what program do you use to take screen shots from DVDs?

Which program do you use to read your dvd ? VLC or PowerDVD are good ones. Plus VLC is free. You just have to be sure, your pic ain’t squized. Keep the original size.

We miss some pics, so if you have time to do a couple of captures for us, would be SO nice. Here’s the list, I always update it everytime I add new pics :

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Still missing :

• The phone scenes with Ordell talking to Beaumont ; Butch calling in PF and Vincent calling Lance after Mia’s overdose.
  • Some shots from the What’s on TV category.
  • The last record player close up from Death Proof.
  • Some of the Red Apples shots (from KB 2 when the Bride meets Esteban and from Planet terror when JT offers a pack to El Wray)
    [/quote]

Added : the God’s Eye view of Vernita Green kitchen. The section is now all completed.

Updated too : the dvd captures sections.