Wes Anderson

dont lie to yourself,you love his movies!

• Bottle Rocket
  • Rushmore
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

0 voters

What do you guys think of Wes Anderson? I think Rushmore is one of the funniest movies ever. Also, i think The Royal Tenenbaums was really funny. Not as funny, but more subtly funny. I haven’t seen Bottle Rocket, and i don’t know anything about it. Also, i haven’t heard much about his new movie; The Life Aquatic. I hear Owen Wilson didn’t write that one with him. So, what do you guys think?

Wes Anderson is one of the few newer directors I really like. I think its not so much for his directing (which isnt anything special), but for his characters. I love entertaining characters in movies. Ive seen all his films so far (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums) and I enjoyed them all. The Wilson Brothers made a great comedic team in BR, Jason Shwartzman and Bill Murray were excellent in Rushmore and Gene Hackman rules as Royal T. Im looking forward to his new film very much.

I’m down with Wes. He makes some of the most enjoyable, funny, and heartbreaking films I’ve ever seen, much less in the past few years. I can’t wait for his next pic. I like his work VERY much.

BMF:

You should definitely check our Bottle Rocket.

Owen Wilson as Dignan is hilarious! :smiley:

I’ve heard a bit about The Life Aquatic. I’ll post more info later.

The Life Aquatic

Check a detailed (and somewhat spoilerish) script review here:

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article618.html

Also check the messageboard here for lots of info!:

http://pub58.ezboard.com/fyankeeracers33503frm16

Thanks Jeff, that was a lot of info. I’m going to rent bottle rocket based on your comments, so i expect that it will be good. I just bought the Criterion Collection Version of The Royal Tenenbaums. I liked it so much that i sold my original version of Rushmore so that i could by the Criterion. They are both really great DVDs. The Rushmore one has great extras like the the MTV movie award commercials where Max Fisher performs short play versions of movies that had come out that year. They are hilarious.

You can definitely tell that Wes Anderson loves to write, and I think that he is damn good at it. The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite of his, with Bottlerockets nipping at its heels. I love the dialogue and the relationships intertwineing in this movie. My favortie character by far was Gweneth Paltrow. She put on a stellar performance that has to be noted as one of her best. I like Wes anderson, and I look forward to future films.

That’s strange. You’re the first person i’ve talked to, or at least typed to, who didn’t like Rushmore the best.

[quote]That’s strange. You’re the first person i’ve talked to, or at least typed to, who didn’t like Rushmore the best.[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Rushmore a lot, but I thought that The Royal Tenenbaums was a little more creative and had a far out there tone that made you appreciate the extreme efforts Wes went to show us this world. I loved this film, and though it wasn’t as critically acclaimed as Rushmore it is still my favorite. I also loved the way that he introduced his characters.

What about Bottle Rocket? I always heard it was his worst. Funny, but still his worst. How does it top Rushmore? BTW, just a question. I’m interested. I hope it doesn’t sound like i’m saying you’re wrong. I’m just interested.

[quote]What about Bottle Rocket? I always heard it was his worst. Funny, but still his worst. How does it top Rushmore? BTW, just a question. I’m interested. I hope it doesn’t sound like i’m saying you’re wrong. I’m just interested. [/quote]

Thanks for being polite. I don’t know about you but I am tired of all these little punks on this forum talking shit when they disagree with you. Anyway, i liked Owen Wilson’s character so much that it squeeked by Rushmore. There are so many things that I like about both, but Bottlerocket is original, and it was a great first attempt on a movie by Wes.

Does it have the same look as Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums? I mean the colors and the panning and how the characters are almost always in medium CU in the center of the screen. Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums look almost identical.

You can tell that it is a Wes Anderson film no doubt, but it is different, because I think that starting out with Bottle Rocket was a learning experience and he tried different things, and when he was ready for Rushmore and TRT, he knew the exact style he wanted and was more experienced.

I just saw Bottle Rocket and you’re absolutely right. It’s a lot different from his other movies but you can tell it’s his. i have to say though, i really didn’t like it. I thought it was boring and i didn’t laugh once. That whole part where they were in the hotel and he fell in love with the maid was excruciating. It was well done and a little bit funny, but it had some parts that i really didn’t like. Not nearly as good as his others.

Sorry you didn’t like it. Now I feel kinda bad you listening to my recommendation.

I saw em in order they were released so I enjoyed them all accordingly.

Don’t know what i would think if I saw em out of order…

Don’t worry about it. I don’t give a shit. I mean, it was alright. My friend rented it, so it cost me nothing.

Personally I liked Bottle Rocket the most, with Rushmore being a close second. I’ve heard it described as Reservoir Geeks and it was the first DVD I ever bought. I didn’t like RT nearly as much as his first two films but it was still better than most movies now days.

My favorite so far is The Royal Tenenbaums. Wonderful movie. One of my all time favorites.

Am I the only person in the world that was bored to tears by the Royal Tenenbaums? Well actually I know 2 other people that didn’t like it. I’m not saying it sucks. It’s beautiful and well developed, but just boring as balls.

I like Wes Anderson’s scripts, which are filled with strange, subtle humor and classic characters. Also, no one uses music to perfection in movies like Tarantino and him. On a side note, the other person besides Wes and QT that writes insanely good screenplays is - Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Human Nature, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind ; Upcoming - Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind)