Tim Burton

I don’t often open topics myself, but I found strange that noone mention Tim Burton (or the topic must be very good hidden)… Don’t you love his work ?

I can ask for myself : Tim Burton is one of my two best directors (with Tarantino of course). I think that noone can be as good as him to make dark and melancolic feery tales. He is one of the most brilliant directors of his generation. He has so much imagination, that it’s hard to be more creative than him. And it’s quite amazing that he started so young and is actually still successfull.

Tarantino likes his work too, specially Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands. And he is damned right ! Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Batman II, Sleepy Holllow, Vincent, Frankennweenie, The nightmare of Mr Jack (even if he isn’t the director, it is his world and not Henry Selick’s…)… Here are great movies ! Ok, I know that some will say that Planet of the Apes wasn’t good. But one bad movie in a filmography is nothing (you can maybe add Pee Wee Big Adventure because it was not so good). And The melancolic death of Oyster Boy and other story was an excellent book : the poems and the drawings were so amazing.

So I wait for your opinions about his work…

Oh, I love Burton too! That darkish yet very touching atmosphere he gives to his movies! :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see what he’s done with Willy Wonka. I don’t think anyone else could have remade that movie.

I saw the trailer of Charly and the Chocolate Factory… woo… it seems great ! Johnny depp in willy wonka is so magic… I can’t wait to see the movie… And in France I can wait for a long time… :-</E>

But The corpse bride will be excellent too ! yeap’ I can’t wait to see the trailer…

was i the only one that thought the trailer for Charley and the Chocolate Factory was horrible. johnny depp as willy wonka looks like a strange mix of pee wee herman and marilyn manson. the trailer made this movie just look bad. :-</E>

[quote=“The Shepherd”]
was i the only one that thought the trailer for Charley and the Chocolate Factory was horrible. johnny depp as willy wonka looks like a strange mix of pee wee herman and marilyn manson. the trailer made this movie just look bad. :-</E>
[/quote]
Johnny Depp playing the part of Willy Wanka isn’t nearly as bad as Steve Martin, playing Detective Cleusou in the remake of the Pink Panther. Steve may be funny to some people, but he’s no Peter Sellers.

[quote=“Hattori_Honzo”]

Johnny Depp playing the part of Willy Wanka isn’t nearly as bad as Steve Martin, playing Detective Cleusou in the remake of the Pink Panther. Steve may be funny to some people, but he’s no Peter Sellers.
[/quote]

ouch, i hadn’t even heard that yet. that’s also a painful proposition.

damn these remakes. it should be wonderful to see Edward Norton in that Straw Dogs remake >:( ::slight_smile: :frowning:

[quote=“Hattori_Honzo”]

[/quote]

Steve Martin, ugh. Anyone has to be better than the job that french guy did. I forget his name. Anyways, here’s the present trailer for the upcoming pink movie. http://www.mgm.com/pinkpantherthemovie/home.html

The worst part is Kevin Kline is in it. I can’t believe he would get within 50ft. of this piece of shit, but hey he was in the Wild Wild West re-make. And god did that movie suck.

Even worse news is that they just re-used the original screenplay by Blake Edwards, those sick fucks using the written work of a deadman.

Man, I love Ed Wood! I loved it so much, I ended up buying “Plan 9 from outer space” and “bride of the monster”! I cant find “glen or glenda” though! I want to see how bad it is! I love awful, awful B-movies!

[quote=“elkie”]
Man, I love Ed Wood! I loved it so much, I ended up buying “Plan 9 from outer space” and “bride of the monster”! I cant find “glen or glenda” though! I want to see how bad it is! I love awful, awful B-movies!
[/quote]

I love “ed wood” too ! and I love B-movies too (less when they are very very awful)… but i haven’t see yet ed wood’s movies (it’s hard to see them in France, because they are never on tv, or I can’t buy the movies, and I don’t where I can download the movies or anything else…). But maybe the movies are more cult in my mind when I haven’t see one, because they are really awful (and it looks like) I wouldn’t the same fascination for the movies… I don’t know

does anyone have seen the documentary of tim burton about Vincent Price ? I haven’t and I’ld love so much to see it ! Does anyone know how I can get it ?

Vincent Price is so great !

Has anyone seen Frankenweenie? I heard that was like the equivalent of Rodriguez’ “El Mariachi” and Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs. Ed wood and the LoTR series have to be the most inspiring films ever made. The Corpse Bride is going to be amazing and it’s the same animation as nightmare before christmas!! YES!

I’ve seen Frankenweenie and it’s great ! Vincent is excellent (a bit shorter… about 5 minutes and Frankenweenie 30 minutes) too… And Sofia Coppola plays in Frankenweenie ! yep’… she’s about 10 years old, and with a blond wig…(no comment) she is not good at playing (but she is a amazing movie director).

I think too that The corpse bride is going to be amazing ! I wait to see the trailer so much !

Iv’e seen a little bit of frankenweenie, It was on a doco on him on the biography channel. I want to see it, it looks cool.

The only movie that i like from Tim Burton is of course Ed Wood. Great and funny as hell movie but in general i think tim burton sucks

I think the only film I can remember seeing from him is Ed wood. I have it on DVD. Iv’e seen others, but I cant really remember them actually!

[quote=“elkie”]
I think the only film I can remember seeing from him is Ed wood. I have it on DVD. Iv’e seen others, but I cant really remember them actually!
[/quote]

how can it be ? don’t you remember of edward scissorhands for exemple ? I think, even the people who don’t like it, remember it because it’s so special, magic… and the imagination of Burton brings sure reaction : or you dislike him, or you love him. I don’t know a lot of people, who have seen Burton’s movies, and don’t have any rection about his work. And the most of the time, the people who don’t love like his work, don’t really understand it ! That’s my opinion…

I saw that movie when I was 6! I cant remember details.