• 4/10
  • 5/10
  • 6/10
  • 7/10
  • 8/10
  • 9/10
  • 10/10

0 voters

I really love this movie. For me one of the best movies made in HK ever.

Have you seen it and what do you think about it?

The best action movie ever made. But only the longer cut (aka taiwanese cut). That’s the version I first saw, and fell in love with. The theatrical cut is great too, but I feel like something is missing (like 15 minutes of the movie)

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
[size=200]The best action movie ever made.[/size]
[/quote]

YES!

Once I said, I wouldn’t vote anymore on ANY movies, but with this one it’s different. I just HAD to give it a 10, because this movie is The One who started it all, my obsession with asian movies, I mean. And it’s still my most favorite movie EVER. So intense in terms of emotion AND action. No “Versus”, no “Oldboy”, no “Hero” has ever come close to “The Killer”.

it definitely gets my ten

its a 10.

but i was more convinced, before i’ve seen 1000 hk movies in a row.

Sometimes the emotion is really silly and Lee AND Yeh are also a weakpoints, sorry to say

I love those romantic parts, but yeah, they could have chosen a better actress than Sally Yeh.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
I love those romantic parts, but yeah, they could have chosen a better actress than Sally Yeh.
[/quote]

Have you seen the feature with an interview with her? She talks about the way she was choosen for the movie.

In terms of action, I always prefered HARD BOILED; for me, that´s Woo´s best work. Sure, THE KILLER rocks, but it never really catched me like many people i know. From my point of view, Woo often overplays the emotional part of his films, and there´s just too much emotiveness in THE KILLER.

My rating would be 8 to 8.5/10; HARD BOILED would get a 9 (i never give 10, and 9.5 is saved for my absolute favourites :wink: ).

[quote=“Yoshitsune”]
From my point of view, Woo often overplays the emotional part of his films,
[/quote]

Can you give me some examples?

[quote=“CPS”]
Have you seen the feature with an interview with her? She talks about the way she was choosen for the movie.
[/quote]

No. I have the HKL dvd which has some sort of Sally Yeh interview, but I never watched it. I only bought that dvd so that I could show the film to friends. Personally I’m using the french release with the longer cut of the film. But the subtitles go really fast, so it’s no use showing that version to my friends. It’s not a problem for me as I’ve seen the film 9 or 10 times…

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
The best action movie ever made. But only the longer cut (aka taiwanese cut). That’s the version I first saw, and fell in love with. The theatrical cut is great too, but I feel like something is missing (like 15 minutes of the movie)
[/quote]

the taiwanese cut is not what Woo wants. it is definitely NOT the way the film should be. HKL (the DVD company) and others have on several occasions contacted Mr Woo and the response was always the same. so if you’re watching the Taiwanese cut, you’re not watching the “real” Killer.

[quote=“Seb (admin)”]
the taiwanese cut is not what Woo wants. it is definitely NOT the way the film should be. HKL (the DVD company) and others have on several occasions contacted Mr Woo and the response was always the same. so if you’re watching the Taiwanese cut, you’re not watching the “real” Killer.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know that. But I don’t understand who Woo thinks that way. The longer version is superior. It has much better editing, especially in action scenes (featuring lots of great action that’s not on the theatrical cut). Also, the finale is almost illogical in the the normal version. The storytelling feels too rushed. And the longer cut features some of my favourite scenes, like:

Spoiler

[color=beige](Sidney trying the get courage before asking the gansters to give the money back, and Jeff taking more hits in the finale before dying, making the finale more dramatic)

Spoiler

Note: only few of the deleted scenes have been included on HKL and Criterion dvds.

Theatrical Cut: 9/10

Taiwanese Cut: 10/10

I gave it a 10. The drama stuff works just fine for me and I LOVE the music.

I added a poll to our Woo topic

http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=304.0

Can someone check out, if I forget a movie (worth to be mentioned) or wrote a title wrong? Thanx

[quote=“CPS”]
[/quote]

I haven’t seen, so what do you wanna say with that ?

While shooting the pic she was about marrying a rich guy. So she was interested in everything but the movie.

I think, she’s really bland in this one. She’s bland in I love Maria / Roboforce too, more i haven’t seen, i think.

I rella love this movie! It´s not only action but a wonderful romantic one! I fell for it first time I watched it!!

Great movie definately. And I have to agree with hung fist partially, but for me, the difference wasn’t that big.

I’d give 9 to both cuts.

I gave it a 5 with hard boiled getting a 4.5.

Killer is great no doubt, but Hard boiled is just too over-the-top.

[quote=“drugs”]
I gave it a 5 with hard boiled getting a 4.5.

Killer is great no doubt, but Hard boiled is just too over-the-top.
[/quote]

You did understand that we rate out of TEN (see above)? So 5/10 is not that good, is it?