Subliminal Messages in Death Proof

I apologise if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I haven’t been here (properly) in over a month so I’m not up-to-date on QT related stuff.

Anyway, I was speaking to my cousin a couple of days ago, we got on to the subject of Death Proof and he said something which I was quite surprised by. He asked me whether I saw the subliminal messages in Death Proof. I obviously hadn’t and asked him about it. Apparently, he saw images of things like violence and of Stuntman Mike during various scenes. For example, he said during the black and white sequence, Stuntman Mike appears on screen for like a split second.

Now, this guy isn’t retarded. He has a PhD in Psychology and studied at Cambridge University!! He is very intelligent, maybe not that much when it comes to film, but he ain’t no dumbass either. Furthermore, he did say that the reason he could see these subliminal images was because he had watched Death Proof on his computer and there was some noticeable lag in the picture due it not being the best of quality.

I told him that I knew of the scratches and jump cuts (just in case he was confused), but he said yes, AND there were subliminal images flashed on screen. Then I mentioned the images of the girls during the end credits and I think he said “yes, those girls appear subliminally during the film too”.

I’m very intrigued about this, and ask for more details regarding subliminal images/messages in Death Proof. What are your thoughts/experiences?

ask him for where exactly and I will check on the dvd by doing a picture-by-picture slow-forward

That’s interesting. I’m going to look into that right now, but the movie is very violent as it is, that’s why I love Qt’s films, he never backs down from a scene, he always plays it as it is. But why do you say it’s a subliminal message? Since this is a Grindhouse picture maybe he overlapped other images on purpose.

Like the Tyler Durden flashes in Fight Club? I havent noticed it in DP. Id like to see some images of this though if its true. Hopefully this isnt BS.

What’s Fincher’s obsession with giant cocks anyway, that’s weird.

Was he watching a bootleg on his computer? That might explain them too.

Ya know it would be smart to actually have some proof of this kind of thing before starting a topic like this. Its just a chain yank otherwise.

What kind of jackass tells you something like this and doesnt give you exact, specific info on where he saw it? Gimme a break. ???

Also he couldve said exactly what the messages said. That would help. What did it say? “EAT AT JOES”?

Isn’t it ironic that your avatar is Alex being indoctrinated with the subliminal and proverbial ultraviolence? Anyhow, I think that it is really fucking scary when I find myself not only identifying with Pete but being in agreement with him lately. Maybe I’m going complety fucking nuts!

Its just about being practical vs being ignorant. I think most people can identify with things like that. The obvious thing to do after making a claim like that would be to point out exactly where the messages show up, so you dont have to listen to people like me ranting about how its BS. And if its true and Im wrong Ill apologize for this rudeness.

Kilgore: I feel really honored to have you on my side. Cuz having you agree with me is really my main goal here.

QT has confimed more than once that there’s a special subliminal message only present in pirated copies of the movie. The message goes, “Buy the original movie, you cheap fucking bastard!”

Hey Ify, never ask a question here because people expect you to know the answer before you post.

I got a bridge I want to sell. Anyone interested?

Anyone wanna buy a used sock with a hole in it? 1 dollar.

[quote=“Knoxville Kingpin”]
Hey Ify, never ask a question here because people expect you to know the answer before you post.
[/quote]

Making a statement and asking a question are two different things. He specifically said his cousin saw subliminal messages in the film. Most people would offer solid proof/directions to the whereabouts of said subliminal messages with a statement like that. All ya gotta do is take some screenshots of them.

One thing I’m wondering is, are these subliminal messages actually the characters popping up in diff parts of the movie. Like Zoe shows up in a frame in the first half. Or is it just due to the way the film was running, so theres a double vision type thing during the scenes.

[quote]I’m very intrigued about this, and ask for more details regarding subliminal images/messages in Death Proof. What are your thoughts/experiences?[/quote]

When I read his entire post it seemed as if he was asking...........well read above quote. He cant make his cousin do what you want him to do. And no, most people dont walk around with proof of anything they may or may not have saw in a movie. When having a conversation about a film not too many people, at least ones without OCD, would walk around with all times or pictures of where a half second image could be found.

[quote]He asked me whether I saw the subliminal messages in Death Proof. [/quote]

His cousin asked a question about something he thought he saw. Look through the black and white sequence and see if you see anything and report back or stop the pooh stabbing attack. Its a simple freakin question and you should not have insulted anyone for posting a question. Sometimes you act like a nut.

Either youve seen it or you have not. I have not seen anything like it myself.

I just figured since he has a PHd or whatever, he’d be able to back up his statement with some proof. Maybe a little info on exactly WHERE the messages pop up would be nice. Otherwise it just sounds like hes a guy who took some drugs and started seeing things that werent there. OR it could be hes playing a joke on the hardcore QT fans that will believe anything that sounds cool.

Ive seen lots of skips and blips in the film, but I havent seen any subliminal messages so far. Id really like to know where to look for them, if thats possible.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Ya know it would be smart to actually have some proof of this kind of thing before starting a topic like this. Its just a chain yank otherwise.

What kind of jackass tells you something like this and doesnt give you exact, specific info on where he saw it? Gimme a break. ???

Also he couldve said exactly what the messages said. That would help. What did it say? “EAT AT JOES”?
[/quote]

If I had proof of these so-called Subliminal images in Death Proof, why the FUCK would I come here to ask you lot about it? Not everyone makes a note of exactly when and where they saw an image flash onscreen whilst watching a film. Not everyone is as precise, interesting and as cool as you Pete. For a guy in his 30’s you sure act more immature than those who are 10 years younger than you. And you wonder why everyone hates you?

He said images popped up on screen for like a split-second of things like Stuntman Mike and shots of violence. I don’t see him everyday, the only reason I saw him was because the family had a get together on a religious occasion. If you’re going to have this sort of attitude, I’d much rather you not contribute to threads I make please.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
Isn’t it ironic that your avatar is Alex being indoctrinated with the subliminal and proverbial ultraviolence? Anyhow, I think that it is really fucking scary when I find myself not only identifying with Pete but being in agreement with him lately. Maybe I’m going complety fucking nuts!
[/quote]

Maybe? You’re just as crazy as Pete.

[quote=“Bad Max”]
Anyone wanna buy a used sock with a hole in it? 1 dollar.
[/quote]

Can I buy a framed photograh of your face instead?

[/quote]

Right on. :smiley:

When I read his entire post it seemed as if he was asking…well read above quote. He cant make his cousin do what you want him to do. And no, most people dont walk around with proof of anything they may or may not have saw in a movie. When having a conversation about a film not too many people, at least ones without OCD, would walk around with all times or pictures of where a half second image could be found.

His cousin asked a question about something he thought he saw. Look through the black and white sequence and see if you see anything and report back or stop the pooh stabbing attack. Its a simple freakin question and you should not have insulted anyone for posting a question. Sometimes you act like a nut.

Either youve seen it or you have not. I have not seen anything like it myself.
[/quote]

Exactly right, dude. I’m glad there is atleast one sane person here.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Its just about being practical vs being ignorant. I think most people can identify with things like that. The obvious thing to do after making a claim like that would be to point out exactly where the messages show up, so you dont have to listen to people like me ranting about how its BS. And if its true and Im wrong Ill apologize for this rudeness.

Kilgore: I feel really honored to have you on my side. Cuz having you agree with me is really my main goal here.
[/quote]
no shit!~ I thought that your main goal in life was to drink big gulps and eat kit kat bars in front of your grease-stained keyboard and monitor. Geez…who would have thunk it?

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
no shit!~ I thought that your main goal in life was to drink big gulps and eat kit kat bars in front of your grease-stained keyboard and monitor. Geez…who would have thunk it?
[/quote]
hahaha ;D :wink:

Hey, if you guys think I’m such a bastard, why dont you fuckin prove me wrong.

I call shit like I see it. If you want to rag on me for expressing my honest opinions on stuff, whatever.

I asked some solid questions and I get insulted for it. FUCK you. You know EXACTLY what I was saying, stop acting like I’m causing problems for the fuck of it.

You call ME immature? Thats a fucking laugh.