Spaghetti Western

some parts of Kill Bill has been said to be some what of a Spaghetti Western! Can someone please explain to me exactly what that is.

Well a Spaghetti Western is a low-budget (well most of them are) western movie that is fianced by Italians thus the ‘Spaghetti’ part. However the term is now used for any western which is financed by European filmmakers.

The Spaghetti Westerns were not considered to be ‘good’ films and were often disregarded until one man made a film called Per un pugno di dollari (1964) aka A Fistful of Dollars. This director opened other peoples eyes to Spaghetti Westerns with this particular film and although many call A Fistful Of Dollars the first Spaghetti Western, there were in fact many more Spaghetti Westerns before the film was actually made but this film was the very first ‘successful’ Spaghetti Western. He went on to make 2 other films which were part of the same trilogy namely For A Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly which were to become huge successes and made Sergio Leone (Tarantino’s favourite director) a huge star.

I don’t want to explain too much but I will give you a link where much more info is given…

http://www.wildeast.net/spaghettiwestern.htm

Actually its not really the financing, its just a term for Western movies that were made in Italy (and Spain, France or Yugoslavia) mostly by Italian Filmmakers.

Popular examples:

Sergio Leone (Fistful of Dollars, Duck you sucker)

Sergio Corbucci (Django, Companeros, The Great Silence)

Toni Valerii, Italo Zingharelli, etc…

Yeh I originally wrote that it was when a film is made in Italy or elsewhere in Europe but I read what was in that link and so I changed it!

But really, the only think Westerny about KB(2) is the music.

I mean what else is SWny? (sorry havent seen too many SWs)

[quote]But really, the only think Westerny about KB(2) is the music.

I mean what else is SWny? (sorry havent seen too many SWs)[/quote]

Besides the fact that the soundtrack is comprised of Ennio Morricone tracks (the guy who did the music for the original SWs), many of the shots are done in the same style that Sergio Leone would have done…The Lonely Grave of Paula Schultz was probably the most Spaghetti Westernish in the movie…watch that and “The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly” and you’ll know exactly why it’s considered a modern SW.

Yep, still gotta watch the classics ::slight_smile:

I figured it would be in the camera movement and style, as opposed to scenes and characters etc.

Well here are a few thing I can think of that are like Spaghetti Westerns or just Westerns in general:

• Part of the film being set in the desert
  • Beatrix walking in the desert similar to Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West
  • The dialogue
  • The Bride not having a name like Leone’s ‘the man with no name’
  • The Music
  • Bill and Beatrix sitting round a camp fire
  • The shot of Bill’s gun in the opening scene of Volume 1 which is similar to that in Once Upon A Time In The West
  • The opening chapel scene in Volume 2
  • The crane shot in the Chapel
  • The shot of the chapel entrance while The Bride ‘gets some air’ similar to that of John Ford’s in The Searchers(I think it was this film)
  • The stand-off between Elle and Beatrix similar to those in Leone’s films only with swords
  • Budd being like a Sam Pekinpah character

Volume 2 didn’t have as much SW qualities as much as I thought it would…it felt more like just a Tarantino film. WHILE Volume 1 felt alot like a Shaw Bros. type flick.

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
Volume 2 didn’t have as much SW qualities as much as I thought it would…it felt more like just a Tarantino film. WHILE Volume 1 felt alot like a Shaw Bros. type flick.
[/quote]

well it had many elements. But I agree, he applied a lot more of his own style to volume 2. But there is not much Shaw brothers about Volume 1, Shaw Brothers studios did not make Japanese Samurai films, they made Kung Fu movies mainly (they are a Cinese company).

I enjoyed the Spaghetti Western elements of Vol.2, however there was some missed chances to make the film even more Leone. For example I wished Tarantino would’ve filmed the Beatrix/Elle fight outside Budd’s camper where he could take advantage of the landscape of the Desert. He could use a crane shot kind of like what Leone did with the Blondie/Angel Eyes/Tuco showdown in “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”. The Beatrix/Elle showdown could’ve been much more.

[quote=“BlazeAlpha”]
I enjoyed the Spaghetti Western elements of Vol.2, however there was some missed chances to make the film even more Leone. For example I wished Tarantino would’ve filmed the Beatrix/Elle fight outside Budd’s camper where he could take advantage of the landscape of the Desert. He could use a crane shot kind of like what Leone did with the Blondie/Angel Eyes/Tuco showdown in “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”. The Beatrix/Elle showdown could’ve been much more.ÂÂ
[/quote]

How about naming the grave where The Bride was burried, ‘Unknown’, or ‘Arch Stanton’ instead of Paula Shultz?

And Buono, I’m sure you’ll love Inglorious Bastards-

“It’ll kind of be my spaghetti western”, “I want it to be more like what The Good, The Bad And The Ugly was to the civil war.” - QT

[quote=“Ify”]
How about naming the grave where The Bride was burried, ‘Unknown’, or ‘Arch Stanton’ instead of Paula Shultz?[/quote]

How about I express an opinion without someone providing a sarcastic response.

[quote=“Tarantino Forum Admin”]
[quote=“IL_Buono”]
[/quote]

well it had many elements. But I agree, he applied a lot more of his own style to volume 2. But there is not much Shaw brothers about Volume 1, Shaw Brothers studios did not make Japanese Samurai films, they made Kung Fu movies mainly (they are a Cinese company).
[/quote]

but didn’t the Chinese invent the Wuxia film?

why yes they did, Buono

Definition ::

Wuxia Pien as a storytelling genre draws from Chinese mythology and the more esoteric aspects of martial arts. It usually chronicles the exploits of heroic knights who fight to uphold justice in a mythical realm where powerful clans of heroes and villains dominate society and vie for control of the “martial world.” Common elements to these stories include swordplay, flying, magic, weapons infused with special properties, and elaborate lairs or traps. In serialized accounts that appeared in Chinese newspapers in the 19th century, long-running wuxia stories were popular. In this period, these stories were also theatrically dramatized in Chinese opera where performers employed martial arts and acrobatics on stage.

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
but didn’t the Chinese invent the Wuxia film?
[/quote]

I believe they did, but what parts of Vol.1 reflected elements of Wuxia film? Are you talking about the wirework?

Yeah, and just with Uma flying around and doing sommersaults and whatnot while killing the crazy 88. I mean, would the HOBL fights best represent an old Shaw Bros. type film or an actual Japanese Samurai Film? Tarantino even said that Volume 1 is his “Shaw Bros. type film” so I wouldn’t doubt him.

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
Yeah, and just with Uma flying around and doing sommersaults and whatnot while killing the crazy 88.[/quote]

Good point. Since Beatrix was trained by Pai Mei, she was able to incorporate the Kung Fu elements into the Samurai fights so indeed there was some Shaw Brothers influcence in Vol.1.

[quote]I mean, would the HOBL fights best represent an old Shaw Bros. type film or an actual Japanese Samurai Film?[/quote]

I think the HOBL battle best represened a Shaw Brothers film, however the Beatrix/O-Ren fight represented a Japanese Samurai film.

[quote]Tarantino even said that Volume 1 is his “Shaw Bros. type film” so I wouldn’t doubt him.
[/quote]

He’s right. You can see the Shaw Brothers influcence in the camera shots and some of the fights.

[quote=“BlazeAlpha”]
[quote=“Ify”]
How about naming the grave where The Bride was burried, ‘Unknown’, or ‘Arch Stanton’ instead of Paula Shultz?[/quote]

How about I express an opinion without someone providing a sarcastic response.

[/quote]

I wasn’t being sarcastic!!! I wish Tarantino actually did that.

the makers of tarantino.info and flickopedia.net (= myself) are currently developing the early stages of a Spaghetti Western Database. More information will follow soon