Smokin Aces

is anyone else keen to see this? its the same writer director of Narc so it should be good.

I don’t know looks a little too stylized, and Tony Scott-ish for my taste. Sorta reminds me of Mean Guns which was no masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination.

I’m looking forward to seeing it!

Im seeing it tonight! ;D

wicked be sure to us the quality of it :slight_smile:

To me its mixture between a tony scott and a guy ritchie movie!

[quote=“themack”]
To me its mixture between a tony scott and a guy ritchie movie!
[/quote]
Considering their recent output, that’s not getting me too much more excited about this flick.

I definitely loved when Carnahan did Narc. It was by far one of, if not, the best cop film(s) of the past decade.

But this just looks too derivative, and similarly styled to every other hollywood pop-corn movie that’s come out in recent memory.

I have to say this is one of the worst films ive ever seen. The comparisons the Tony Scott are merited in a very shallow sense.

Although this guy (I cant believe he made NARC!) slavishly follows scott’s hyper stylistics he manages top make a film which is deviod of tony’s ability to emotionally engage the audience with the story.

Somehow Tony Scott manages to make his visual tourettes work as part of the narrative, This guy just seems to be showing off, distracting the viewer from the ridicously half-baked script. The fact that the audience spends about 5 mins with the Ryan Reynolds character and then is expected to be emotionally involved with him during the finale is the most offensive thing of all. Just really offensively bad not one redeeming thing to be said about it.

The annoying thing about this is that its constantly credited as Tarantino-esque ir Scott-esque or whatever and possesses none of the things which make these directors great. Even Guy Ritchie’s revovler is better than this shit. At least Ritchie took a chance!!

I hate movies that try to replicate QTs style in any way. Its a big turn off to me. I have alot more respect for films that just do their own thing and dont try to be QT clones.

Yeah I feel you! Guy Ritchie movies… Lucky Number Slevin… Be Cool… Smokin Aces! These kind of movies!

What’s wrong with Guy Ritchie? Lock, Snatch and Revolver were all kick ass films. Lucky Number Slevin was okay.

I can’t wait to see Smokin’ Aces.

And, I don’t get why people say shit about “QT clones” when QT “steals” some of his stuff.

Snatch, Smokin Aces, Be Cool are all crap IMO. Its 2007, we’ve been there, done that. Time to do other things in movies now. The whole Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction thing is over. Too cliche, too overdone.

Unless your someone like Martin Scorsese, forget it.

Smokin’ Aces was great and cool as hell!

[quote=“Jack Rabbit Slim”]
What’s wrong with Guy Ritchie? Lock, Snatch and Revolver were all kick ass films. Lucky Number Slevin was okay.

I can’t wait to see Smokin’ Aces.

And, I don’t get why people say shit about “QT clones” when QT “steals” some of his stuff.
[/quote]

Revolver wasnt a kick ass movie at all!!! He was just tryin too hard to regain his reputation after he fucked up with Swept Away but failed! Revolver was just a failed attempt to recreate another LSnTSB and Snatch!

[quote=“themack”]
Revolver wasnt a kick ass movie at all!!! He was just tryin too hard to regain his reputation after he fucked up with Swept Away but failed! Revolver was just a failed attempt to recreate another LSnTSB and Snatch!
[/quote]

Revolver is a kick ass film. He didn’t try to hard. It was excellent, yes, the viewer does have to think. OMFG. Not to mention the great lines and the great acting.

Give me another reason, other than “he tried too hard.” Some examples of trying too hard.

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Snatch, Smokin Aces, Be Cool are all crap IMO. Its 2007, we’ve been there, done that. Time to do other things in movies now. The whole Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction thing is over. Too cliche, too overdone.
[/quote]

Be Cool was crap. It may be overdone or cliche, but I’m willing to watch it. I think it will be entertaining.

I cant give you exact examples of how hes was tryin too hard! but the feel of the whole movie implies so! You gotta admit it doesnt come near the standard of LSnTSB or Snatch!

I dont mind if films are heavily influenced by the tarantino style. I thought Guy Ritchie’s ‘Lock Stock…’ was a good example of the influence of scorsese/tarantino being used with talent. While Revolver was a terrible film, (cinematography was decent though!) at least Ritchie took the risk of being called a pretentious twat.

Smoking Aces is a safe, cynical and utterly inept rehash of films we’ve seen before.

If you want to see a good, “tarantino-esque” (although its a bit more michael mannish) film thats come out lately I suggest the highly under-rated ‘Layer Cake’ - great Direction, acting, plot, sound-track and visuals - the total package.

[quote=“themack”]
I cant give you exact examples of how hes was tryin too hard! but the feel of the whole movie implies so! You gotta admit it doesnt come near the standard of LSnTSB or Snatch!
[/quote]

You’re right, it surpasses them.[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
While Revolver was a terrible film, (cinematography was decent though!) at least Ritchie took the risk of being called a pretentious twat.

Smoking Aces is a safe, cynical and utterly inept rehash of films we’ve seen before.

If you want to see a good, “tarantino-esque” (although its a bit more michael mannish) film thats come out lately I suggest the highly under-rated ‘Layer Cake’ - great Direction, acting, plot, sound-track and visuals - the total package.
[/quote]

I still don’t know how people think Revolver is terrible.

For Smokin’ Aces, meh, like I said, I think it will be an entertaining film. Layer Cake is very good, it’s like the British version of The Departed, although it came out before…still very good.

Too each his own.

You really think Revolver is better than Lock yadayada and Snatch?

Yeah, I just finished it a few minutes ago too 8)