Ridley Scott's American Gangster

Especially when it suddenly turns for the worse in his life, you’re like “whoa, wait a minute… he was just washing dishes and now it’s the FBI”

yea then like you dont know where its gona go cause u forget about the whole point that he is going to prison because he goes to sosa’s house and all then u remmember about prison then the war at the end occurs.

It felt like three hours when I watched it. If you ask me, Carlito’s Way is better than Scarface.

no way.

Yes way.

Carlito’s Way had the run time Scarface should’ve had. And CW is, I think, a more compelling story and more interesting. CW does have an advantage as it was based on a book. But you care more about Carlito than you do Tony. Tony is an interesting character, but Carlito is just more interesting to me. I mean as hard as the guy tries to go straight he just can’t and it ends up costing him his life. Where as in Scarface he makes it and then goes right down the shitter.

But I would say Pacino’s performance in Scarface is better than his performance in Carlito’s Way. Both were great performances but Scarface is just a bit better.

the scareface performance is 100 times better he played a cuban better then a cuban could have played the part.

Yeah, what exactly is your point? I said it was a great performance. But I think his performance in CW is underrated.

point is that its 100 times better and he should have won the academy award for scarface.

although the performance in dog day afternoon rivals it.

Have you seen Carlito’s Way? I don’t think his performance is 100 times better, but yes it is the better performance. But just because it was a great performance doesn’t mean that it’s better than Carlito’s Way (Scarface vs Carlito’s Way, not Tony vs Carlito).

What else is great about Scarface?

[quote=“Jack Rabbit Slim”]

What else is great about Scarface?
[/quote]

Damn man! Dont you know? The scenes man, the scenes no one forgets, EVER! The chainsaw to the head! The guy getting hung from a copter, the getting a scar from eating pussy, the final assault, the "look at you now!" scene. I could go on and on. Its full of awesome scenes!

Carlito's Way is a very good film but its not full of cool scenes that make a film unforgettable .

[quote=“Knoxville Kingpin”]

Damn man! Dont you know? The scenes man, the scenes no one forgets, EVER! The chainsaw to the head! The guy getting hung from a copter, the getting a scar from eating pussy, the final assault, the “look at you now!” scene. I could go on and on. Its full of awesome scenes!

Carlito’s Way is a very good film but its not full of cool scenes that make a film unforgettable .

[/quote]

actually its really supposed to be chainsaw to the arm i thought it was to the head too.

[quote=“Jjp”]
actually its really supposed to be chainsaw to the arm i thought it was to the head too.

[/quote]

I always assumed it was his head although it doesnt show it.

im pretty sure its the arm because if im not mistaken he says “how about the other one”

He says something about the leg I think. Doesnt really matter, its still cool as fucking

Scraface is a gangster movie that at times borders on exploitation. Carlito’s Way is more of a drama. Both great movies in their own right.

Carlito’s Way has no soul, yeah, there’s emotions and stuff, but it’s too artificial to be enjoyed. Yeah, the plot seems kind of artificial as well. The film’s kind of small-time. Trying to be too many things, but never really going a certain way.

Scarface on the other hand is explosive and focused. It’s interesting, suspenseful and smart as well, as it analyzes characters. Tony is perfectly defined and developed, he’s a cheap Cuban scumbag making his way to the top, trying to enjoy life and failing, then falling back again, cause he sees no borders and refuses to see them. And THAT is shown in a scaringly realistic way. I would believe such character really having existed, but I wouldn’t believe in Carlito.

And Scarface is just so cool. “I take your bullets!” AND funny.

[quote=“Jjp”]
the scareface performance is 100 times better he played a cuban better then a cuban could have played the part.
[/quote]

^ So true. I LOVE Pacino in it, one of the greatest performances of all time, unquestioned. Dog Day Afternoon was even better, but this is also brilliant.

Plus you can always quote Scarface. I don’t remember a single fucking sentence from Carlito.

[quote=“Bleach”]

Plus you can always quote Scarface. I don’t remember a single fucking sentence from Carlito.
[/quote]

“You think you’re big time?? You’re gonna fucking DIE, BIG TIME!!”

well the only line i remember from carlitos way is “im benny bronco from the bronx”

Yeah Carlito’s Way had a great ending i would have to say, totally unexpecting.