Ridley Scott's American Gangster

[quote=“mr blonde_22”]
mann perfectly balanced the family/GF/Wife parts with the action scenes. The downtown shoot out is my favourite shootout ever. It was directed perfectly
[/quote]

yeaa he is good nothing special though.

It will be great to see Denzel dig into another mean nasty role, like Training Day, and Crowe is solid as a cop lead too. I wonder is Denzel’s character modeled after Leroy (Nicky) Barnes.

yeaa denzel is great.

[quote=“mr blonde_22”]
mann perfectly balanced the family/GF/Wife parts with the action scenes. The downtown shoot out is my favourite shootout ever. It was directed perfectly
[/quote]

That’s what I wanted to say, shouldn’t have been no family scenes at all.

One of my most anticipated movies this year

[quote=“Bleach”]
That’s what I wanted to say, shouldn’t have been no family scenes at all.
[/quote]
i would agree if i just wanted to watch a 100 million dollar action movie but heat was so much more than that, the characters were great.

The family scenes were there alright… but nothing deep, the same trivial stuff overused and laaaame. Better do without them then

Bleach if you don’t like Heat then you should watch the shittier version called “LA Takedown”, Mann made it as a TV film with a lot of scenes cut out.

The whole point of those scenes were to show you how they perceived life. Hanna had his life and his family life was a mess. Chris’ family was everything to him, but even then his family still was a mess. And Neil had no family, he was a loner with no one. Hanna and McCauley lives were devoted to what they did (made clear in the dinner scene) and both of their stories mirrored each other. But Chris is different because he’s stuck in the middle - his family or his job. In the end, all three of their lives didn’t turn out how they planned because of their conflicts with their families. They all dove tailed and that is why Heat is so brilliant. Michael Mann knows what he is doing - he ain’t no lame hack.

ill probably see it when it comes out hey maybe it will be good.

Well, yeah, Heat is definitely Mann’s best (at least from what I’ve seen), even the fact that De Niro and Pacino both agreed to play proves it, but if you’ve seen their best films, you kinda feel Heat’s too simple for them. Maybe it’s just my bias against De Niro and Pacino playing these modern characters and all. But anyway, there’s this simplicity that is present in all Mann’s films. Like Collateral, for example, it’s just like most of his work - it all comes to a certain conclusion and there is nothing left to think about or anything. It’s liike - yeah, it was fun… and that’s like all there is. Heat left me kind of unsatisfied, that’s why I don’t really like it.

yeaaa heat doesent even compare to half of the shet that De Niro and Pacino did.

I think it does. It’s up there with the Godfather Trilogy, Scarface, Taxi Driver, etc., well atleast for me it is. I like Heat more than all of those films except Taxi Driver. Both excellent performances.

I can understand if you don’t like it but it is up there with their other work.

yeaa it could be up there with the godfather but in my opinion no way with Scarface, Taxi Driver. And Jack Rabbit Slim what movie is your avatar from?

Scarface is overrated.

[quote=“LetsGoToWork”]
Scarface is overrated.
[/quote]
WHAT?? no way scarface is the perfect original Gangsta film

Scarface is excellent. One of my fav gangster films ever.

[quote=“Jjp”]
yeaa it could be up there with the godfather but in my opinion no way with Scarface, Taxi Driver. And Jack Rabbit Slim what movie is your avatar from?
[/quote]

The Killer.

I think Scarface is dragged out a bit other than that it’s good.

[quote=“LetsGoToWork”]
Scarface is overrated.
[/quote]
What? Scarface is one of my favorite gangster movies and one of the most quoted movies ever!

Scarface was three hour material, I wish it was longer everytime I watch

yea it seems so short when you watch it.