Ridley Scott's American Gangster

American Gangster, directed by Ridley Scott, starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe

A drug lord smuggles heroin into Harlem during the 1970s by hiding the stash inside the coffins of American soldiers returning from Vietnam. American Gangster is a biopic of Harlem heroin kingpin Frank Lucas. Lucas grew up in rural, segregated North Carolina where he watched as his cousin was shot by the Klan for looking at a white girl. In the early 1970s he became the biggest heroin dealer in Harlem with a smuggling scheme that imported heroin out of Southeast Asia in the caskets of dead Vietnam soldiers. He soon made upwards of one million dollars a day in drug sales. American Gangster centers on narcotics lawman Richie Roberts’ struggle to bring down Lucas, whose flamboyant style earned him the street name “Superfly”, and catching the crooked cops and drug dealers who profited from Lucas’s scheme.

release date:

November 2nd, 2007 (USA)

November 7th 2007 (UK)

January 3rd 2008 (Germany)

Diggin’ the posters.

SHould be good.

Looks good indeed.

Thats all you have to say! “It’s good” “That looks great” “I can’t wait”. Yer blues people, yer blues!

Damn, I can’t stand Russel goddamn Crowe

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Thats all you have to say! “It’s good” “That looks great” “I can’t wait”. Yer blues people, yer blues!
[/quote]

It does look good.

russell crow as a gangster come on. although the posters do look cool.

Don’t worry - because he’s the cop.

Looks like a typical Michael Mann cop-gangster movie, only it’s a Ridley Scott cop-gangster movie.

It seems like a movie that has plenty of potential to be good, even great. However, if not executed properly it could just as easily be a shambles of a what could have been a top notch gangster film.

[quote=“Spiros Vondas”]
It seems like a movie that has plenty of potential to be good, even great. However, if not executed properly it could just as easily be a shambles of a what could have been a top notch gangster film.
[/quote]

i agree.

It’s Ridley Scott. There’s nothing to worry about.

[quote=“Jack Rabbit Slim”]
It’s Ridley Scott. There’s nothing to worry about.
[/quote]

Amen. Ridley’s way of teamworking will keep tensions high in the production team, but he’ll get the job done alright.

[quote=“Bleach”]
Looks like a typical Michael Mann cop-gangster movie
[/quote]
will be awesome then :smiley:

i dont think denzel would pick a bad movie this point in his career well atleast hopefully not.

it should be good, im thinking its going to play out like heat for some reason

heat was arlright not bad.

Heat was a masterpiece.

I think Heat was pretty average. Pretty predictable, and nothing to thing about later, totally nothing, like most of Mann’s films.

mann perfectly balanced the family/GF/Wife parts with the action scenes. The downtown shoot out is my favourite shootout ever. It was directed perfectly