Michael Haneke

Andrei Tarkovsky

Lars von Trier

John Cassavetes

Roger Corman

Jess Franco

Ruggero Deodato

EDIT: mix up with the russians, Tarkovsky, not Sokurov

How can I say they’re remarkable if I’ve not seen their work? I can just base my opinion on what other people say before I get around to see them myself.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Jean-Luc Godard

Roger Corman
[/quote]

:o Hum, little Hung Fist, I’m gonna give you some advices cause now that I’m myself a bit educated about kung-fu movies, I gotta give you some advices ;D

Never seen a movie from :

Georges Franju

Jean Cocteau

Sam Peckinpah (I might see The Wild Bunch really soon though if I don’t miss the movie in theater)

Monte Hellman (hope to see some very soon)

Ernst Lubitsch

Kusturica

Pasolini (but I’m sure it’s not my style of movies)

Haneke either (but again don’t plan to see some soon)

Jess Franco (but I wouldn’t have thought to quote him if you hadn’t Hung Fist, ahah)

I should see more movies from :

Samuel Fuller

Carpenter

Kurosawa

Fritz Lang

Oh and yeah, I haven’t seen any of the asian directors you’ve quoted, not even Ozu…

Was it Kurosawa that said “to never have watched a Ozu film is like never seeing the moon” ?

I’ve already seen the moon, so I have already seen a Ozu movie ? Ahah, sorry, Socrate on my back ;D

[quote=“Bad Max”]
How can I say they’re remarkable if I’ve not seen their work? I can just base my opinion on what other people say before I get around to see them myself.
[/quote]

That sounds like something I would say ;D

Bad choice of word, yeah. Basically I mean directors that you think you should have seen at least one film from, but haven’t.

I’ve never seen a single film from… Woody Allen :o

And you, my dear friends, have never seen a single movie from:

Eldar Ryazanov

Leonid Gaiday

(well, I guess only Bleach might saw them)

George Melies

Pasolini

Akira Kurosawa

Almodovar

Michaelangelo Antonini

Luis Bunuel

John Cassavettes

Buster Keaton

Jean Renoir

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
Akira Kurosawa
[/quote]

And you call yourself a human being? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Eastern Beauty”]
And you, my dear friends, have never seen a single movie from:

Eldar Ryazanov

Leonid Gaiday

(well, I guess only Bleach might saw them)
[/quote]

I’ll ask him and tell you what he answered.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
And you call yourself a human being? :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

mighty talk from someone who hasn’t seen a single Godard film. :wink: who btw was a major influence on Tarantino.

also, I remember Tarantino referring to some Kurosawa film as “high brow crap”.

which is not saying that I avoid his works because of QT, i want to see Kurosawa someday, everybody keeps telling me hes the shit.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
mighty talk from someone who hasn’t seen a single Godard film. :wink:
[/quote]

He’s not japanese…

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
who btw was a major influence on Tarantino.
[/quote]

Why should I watch something that has had a major influence on Tarantino? I’d rather watch movies I am interested in.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
also, I remember Tarantino referring to some Kurosawa film as “high brow crap”.
[/quote]

You missed the joke.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
You missed the joke.
[/quote]

I did? QT was not joking when he said that. Definately.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Why should I watch something that has had a major influence on Tarantino? I’d rather watch movies I am interested in.
[/quote]

those movies tend to be great.

I have never seen a single movie from Mario Bava and Dario Argento. I don’t understand how cause I’ve read lot about them, know their soundtracks, posters, seen a lot of extracts. I was almost sure I had watched at least one movie… But no… Gotta change this as soon as possible.

Uwe Boll

and I’m proud of it.

I’ve never seen any movie from him either, ahah.

BUT I just saw The Wild Bunch, so I can ow be proud to say I’ve seen my first Sam Peckinpah ;D

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
I’ve never seen any movie from him either, ahah.

BUT I just saw The Wild Bunch, so I can ow be proud to say I’ve seen my first Sam Peckinpah ;D
[/quote]

You should check out Convoy. Without ever having seen his other films, I can already say that it’s definately his best.

ON TOPIC: I remembered a moment ago that I’ve never seen a single Truffaut film. But I bought Jules et Jim the other day. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check out Convoy. And Jules et Jim is awesome. You should check out Les 44 Coups too aka 400 Blows, by Truffaut, awesome.

Ah, just noticed I had somehow mixed Aleksandr Sokurov and Andrei Tarkovsky… From Tarkovsky I haven’t seen anything, Sokurov I know from Solntse.

Lili, I’d recommed you to add Straw Dogs to your watch list, if you want to see more Peckinpah

You know what ? I was thinking of it during the screening and I really understand it was a huge shame from me not to have seen it !