Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

i havnt read the script yet, can i expect a standoff/mexican standoff?

I’ve read that tarantino would like to choose his own music for IB and not be confined to music of the period or sterotypical war music perhaps, but wouldn it be great if he got morricone to do a track for the film.

Hes probably just going to use an existing Morricone track from another film like he usually does.

[quote]can i expect a standoff/mexican standoff[/quote]

yes lots of guns and killin and scalpin Just about every form of murder you can think of

Didn’t know whether to post this here or in the casting topic but I just watched the Castellari movie and understood the reasons behind some controversial casting choices for the commando members. In the Castellari movie, not the whole of the commando is composed of “man on a mission with balls”. In my opinion, only Fred Williamson is really that way (and Bo Svenson a bit). The rest looks more like a laughing stock. So it might explain why QT picked that kind of “geek” casting for the men under Raine’s command. The same way he might have decided every actor should talk in its native language because it was that way in the Castellari movie. Hope Quentin gets good translators to keep the dialogue’s impact because I’m worried about it.:slight_smile:

[quote]The rest looks more like a laughing stock. So it might explain why QT picked that kind of “geek” casting for the men under Raine’s command.[/quote]

The reason behind “The Casting of The Comedians” is actually quite simple (in my opinion): the characters in the script…well, anyone who read the script, should know what I’m aiming at, the rest can just keep on guessing till you se the actual flick.

Also, his screening of Leone’s masterpiece is understandable: the first scene in IB is similar to one of the scenes in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

As for the dialogue thing: I think QT was emboldened by Gibson’s triumphs to go subtitle crazy.

[quote=“Bob Rock”]
The reason behind “The Casting of The Comedians” is actually quite simple (in my opinion): the characters in the script…[/quote]

A script paying tribute to Castellari’s Inglorious Bastards. BTW, my argument was just aiming at the ones who had read the script and still wanted a Planet Hollywood casting.

[quote=“Bob Rock”]
As for the dialogue thing: I think QT was emboldened by Gibson’s triumphs to go subtitle crazy.
[/quote]

Not sure. KB already had subtitled parts.

hasnt he cast the comedian actors - especially those to portray the english - because he’s trying to pay homage to the exploitation films and films like inglorious bastards that had less than good quality acting and poor accents?

The way I see it, the comic actors have been chosen for 2 reasons: a) they’re Jews; and b) their characters are featured in purposefuly funny scenes, thus their comedic background should come in handy.

Ok, I haven’t read the script (even though I’ve had it ever since it was leaked), but I’ve been hearing talk of a massacre a lot, coupled with those on-set images of the farm house. Well I wonder if QT will pay homage to what is in my opinion, one of the greatest massacre scenes ever filmed. The simple, yet emotionally powerful, mysterious and stylised massacre scene in Once Upon A Time In The West.

- YouTube

His previous massacre scene (Kill Bill), was largely within his own style (implied violence through sound, camera panning away from the action), and it gives me goosebumps to this day, such is it’s beauty. It has parallels to Leone’s scene - the massacre itself comes as a surprise after a long, stretched-out opening scene; a soothing moment before the actual act; loud, terrifying music prior to the eventual appearance of the perpetrators; stylised and mysterious emergence of the perpetrators and taking place in an isolated desert surrounding. So it will be interesting if he will approach his latest massacre scene differently. It would be awesome if he had Morricone music playing during the scene too, as a further nod to the spaghetti western.

I wonder if Donny Donowitz is related to Lee Donowitz.

im sure he is, and ye i agree with Ify, i think the scene in qunetins movie is like a combination of the massacre in the opening scene of GBU and Once upon a time in the west. Theyre very similar anyway

[quote=“Mr. Jettah”]
im sure he is, and ye i agree with Ify, i think the scene in qunetins movie is like a combination of the massacre in the opening scene of GBU and Once upon a time in the west. Theyre very similar anyway
[/quote]

Totally agree, I instantly pictured Once upon a time in the west but with green vegetation when I started reading the script. (I’m consciously being vague in order not to drop spoilers but those who read the script know what I’m talking about that’s for sure :slight_smile: )

probably his dad :wink:

Dirty Dozen: Next Mission (1985) Dir. Andrew V. McLaglen. Movie begin, when Gen.“butcher” Dietrich arrive in the automobiles with driver and two motorcycling front of them - just like Hans Landa.

I watched more Dirty Dozen Special Edition extra’s and here’s the story a guys name Jake McNiece and his Filthy 13 with Mohawk-look. I’ll be sure that Quentin get his Aldo Raine and Basterds-ideas from this man and the group.

i’m watching THE FURY OF JOHNNY KID right now, and peter lee lawrence’s scar from being tied up looks a bit like the one Aldo Raine has…

Is there any crossover with the serious movie “Defiance” now playing?

I’m very sure there isn’t, and I see no reason why there would

- YouTube

hell yea. need to get this on dvd