Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

[quote=“Movie_Villain”]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKPUevq-Rk
[/quote]

starring Horst “Buck-holz”! LOL

[quote=“Sebastian”]
hell yea. need to get this on dvd
[/quote]

don’t expect too much. Watching it I felt it could have been so better. maybe Lenzi was sloppy.

@sebastian

Have you asked QT about the real influences?

Buchholz

@magazine: no I haven’t. I plan on doing that someday though.

I mean a lot are really obvious

Saw From Hell To Victory for the first time last year. It’s now an absolute favourite. I love it! Hands down my fave macaroni combat

A REAL influcence might be “5 Graves To Cairo”. He has that movie in his latest top 10-list an the pictures from the set have a similar look.

Okay, so I was watching the original funding pitch included on the 2-disc for Not Quite Hollywood. It features a conversation between Brian Trenchard-Smith and Quentin Tarantino in which they talk mostly about Brian’s films and Australian exploitation.

At one point, Tarantino tells Brian that he absolutely loves his 1989 Vietnam war film The Siege of Firebase Gloria (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098328/). He raves on about how good it is and certain aspects of it that he feels Brian did especially well.

What do you think the chances are that Firebase Gloria will show up in some form in Inglourious Basterds? Not WWII obviously, but wouldn’t surprise me.

I thought Siege was just OK. I have only seen the main feature and don’t have the DVD, is there any chanche you can upload this special feature where the two talk?

holy shit. something just occurred to me in a real how the fuck didn’t I see it before fashion. For those of you who haven’t read too much of the script (or none at all) i won’t spoil it for you but the young girl in the film who we see a brief flash of running in the trailer has a story that is real reminiscent of Cinema Paradiso as played out by Quentin Tarantino. Not too much but it felt like he was inspired by that film. but maybe it’s just a coincidence.

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
holy shit. something just occurred to me in a real how the fuck didn’t I see it before fashion. For those of you who haven’t read too much of the script (or none at all) i won’t spoil it for you but the young girl in the film who we see a brief flash of running in the trailer has a story that is real reminiscent of Cinema Paradiso as played out by Quentin Tarantino. Not too much but it felt like he was inspired by that film. but maybe it’s just a coincidence.
[/quote]

Actually that was one of the first influences / references pointed by the first script reviews that appeared. :slight_smile:

Also, if you’ve read the script, check out the film “Black Book” on IMDb. :wink:

[quote=“Kinick”]
Actually that was one of the first influences / references pointed by the first script reviews that appeared. :slight_smile:

Also, if you’ve read the script, check out the film “Black Book” on IMDb. :wink:
[/quote]

Now i feel like a jack. I never read the reviews and such, just hit that PDF link so fast it’d make your head spin. But thanks for the movie, it actually looks pretty damn cool (for a Paul Verhoeven movie)

[quote=“moura”]
guys, if u are looking for a movie the might have influenced tarantino’s Inglorious Bastards…i REALLY sugest u to watch The Eagle Has Landed with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine…that movie is very cool and is about a fictitios plot by the nazies to assassinate Winston Churchil…it made me think about Bastards all the way through it (and i have already readed quentin’s screenplay)

realy good movie
[/quote]

I have seen that movie. It’s really, really good. It also has the cliché that is having swedish actor playing a nazi. Happens all the time in WWII-movies. They also makes swdish-actors play russians, even do we swedes mostly don’t like russians.

[quote=“VikingWithNoName”]
I have seen that movie. It’s really, really good. It also has the cliché that is having swedish actor playing a nazi. Happens all the time in WWII-movies. They also makes swdish-actors play russians, even do we swedes mostly don’t like russians.
[/quote]

How ironic.

The movie looks really cool, I’m gonna check it out around the time of Inglourious Basterds. It’s directed by John Sturges which is always a plus. Something I’ve been doing is saving all the WWII movies that might have inspired Inglourious Basterds and just cool WWII movies in general till around August 21, kinda like a WWII marathon leading up to the flick. The Eagle Has Landed is definitely going on the list.

[color=beige]The “double-take” scene in La Louisiane, for the curious, is lifted pretty much wholesale from the 1943 screwball ‘Hi Diddle Diddle’. I netflixed it after seeing the title on a list of QT’s favorites and was pretty gobsmacked to see the double-take scene I remembered from IB’s script in preliminary form. the film is fantastic, i might add, and well worth a viewing beyond just the double-take scene.

[quote=“Crazy Love”]
[color=beige]The “double-take” scene in La Louisiane, for the curious, is lifted pretty much wholesale from the 1943 screwball ‘Hi Diddle Diddle’. I netflixed it after seeing the title on a list of QT’s favorites and was pretty gobsmacked to see the double-take scene I remembered from IB’s script in preliminary form. the film is fantastic, i might add, and well worth a viewing beyond just the double-take scene.
[/quote]

In the script, that part completely ruined La Louisiane for me. Sorry, but it did, I hope it works better on film.

Thats what QTs best at to me, mixing laughs with violence/tension. Sounds like hes gonna be doing that with La Louisiane. 30s screwball humor mixed with Tarantino violence = awesome. Cant wait to see “Reservoir Dogs reduced to 24 minutes in German”!

[quote=“Kinick”]
In the script, that part completely ruined La Louisiane for me. Sorry, but it did, I hope it works better on film.
[/quote]

lol, have some humor, the soldiers are all very drunk in this scene, that’s why they act childishlly and miserable. It’s a nice contrast with the tension going on with the meeting. Cinematically speaking, it’s good to play with mood like this.

[quote=“Pinkman”]
lol, have some humor, the soldiers are all very drunk in this scene, that’s why they act childishlly and miserable. It’s a nice contrast with the tension going on with the meeting. Cinematically speaking, it’s good to play with mood like this.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know. It just read a bit too childishly and miserable if you know what I mean. Like I envisioned the worse on page thinking what Q would do with it…we’ll see.

If you had this thought process while reading the script, there’s no wonder why you didn’t like it. I guess that’s where we disagree, I have faith in QT to pull it off, you apparently don’t and even think the worse on every page. I’m a bit confused, if he’s so terrible, why are you here? but hey that’s not my problem.

[quote=“Pinkman”]
If you had this thought process while reading the script, there’s no wonder why you didn’t like it. I guess that’s where we disagree, I have faith in QT to pull it off, you apparently don’t and even think the worse on every page. I’m a bit confused, if he’s so terrible, why are you here? but hey that’s not my problem.
[/quote]

I was talking just about that specific part.

[quote=“Kinick”]
[/quote]

I was pretty taken aback when I read that part. It took me a while to get used to the idea, mostly by going and watching some bitchin’ Howard Hawk’s screwball comedies. If handled as carefully as QT does it’ll be a really cool bit, but in the middle of a WWII movie it will test his filmmaking limits to the extreme. Especially as a comic director.