Most overrated movies

I totally have to back up Seb on this Gump vs Fiction thing. From what I understand, he is saying that Pulp was a FAR better movie (which it was/is) but, it would’ve gotten all the respect that it has now, whether it won Oscars or not, and that Gump just deserves a lot of fucking respect (which it does/did).

P.S. - Yes. Do the Right Thing, is one of the best movies of all time, I wish every could watch that movie, it has a very powerfull message.

The Matrix Series sucks major dick, and it has to be in the top 5 of Overrated movies of all time, and don’t use that stupid Matrix fan response of “well then you just don’t understand it then.” I do understand it, there’s a second Matrix (actual matrix, not movie) woopdy fucking doo. Can somebody please tell me why they had to take the fun out of Wire-Fu, and do it in CG? THAT’S THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT, IT’S A FUCKING PERSON DOING FLIPS AND SHIT!!!

[quote]Sorry, but I really gotta get this off my chest, and I know that I’ll probably get kicked off this forum, but…

Scareface.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a REALLY great movie but:

A: The rappers ruined it.

B: There are MUCH better movies out there (in my opinion).

C: Brian DePalma, has definatly made WAY better movies (not recently though).

D: It’s just EVERYWHERE! everystore I go into now, seems to have Scareface posters.

E: The FUCKING rappers ruined it!

F: I really don’t care for Oliver Stone that much, he’s made maybe 2-3 truly good movies.

G: FUCKING RAPPERS RUIND IT!!![/quote]

What do you mean the rappers ruined it dude? They’re not in the fucking movie, so who cares what they say? I love “Scarface” because it’s HUGELY enjoyable to watch and way over the top. “Scarface” is for the gangster movies what “Kill Bill” will be for martial arts cinema in 20 years time.

A) Scarface (not Scareface) is one of the best crime films ever made.

B) Its one of Brian DePalma’s most popular and best works. Its the Pulp Fiction of its day.

C) There is no hip hop in the movie. The score is by Giorgio Moroder.

D) Its definitely NOT overrated.

I never said that it wasnt a VERY good movie. I never said that there was Hip-Hop in the movie. What I ment when I said that the rappers ruind Scarface (sorry about the misspelling) is that they made it WAY too popular, and I just sort of got sick of hearing about it from all the “gangstas”. They turned a GREAT movie into something that all the wiggers talk about. And if I saw it after the whole Scarface Rapper obsession, I probably wouldv’e thought it was a little overrated. They sort of took the fun out of it, I’m sorry, it just did. And I’m sure you all will say like “well then you must’ve not liked it that much if people can take the love of a movie away.” And I didn’t like it as much as most people do.

I don’t give a shit if it’s DePalma’s most popular movie, it doesn’t mean that it’s his best. Psycho might be Hitchcock’s most popular movie, but it’s not his best.

Most rappers are idiots. They think the world should revolve around them; hence they identify themselves with Tony Montana because he managed to become a drug lord and achieved his dream of crime supremacy. They could care less of DePalma’s directing or Stone’s screenplay. I could really give two shits what rappers think; why should that bother you to enjoy a movie?

And to remind you, “Scarface” neither did extremely well at the box office nor was given ecstatic reviews the year it came out. (It was also nominated for some Razzie awards if I remember well). I don’t know how it could be classified as overated.

That’s true, but i think he means it’s overrated because everyone in the mother fucking world thinks it’s the greatest thing ever and talks about it all the time, so it’s tough to live up to that standard. Some people believe it does though.

[quote]

C) There is no hip hop in the movie.  The score is by Giorgio Moroder.
[/quote]

What he ment was that every Raper loved this movie. Not that there was Hip-Hop in it.

Who can say what is overrated and not? Nobody. Everyone has different feelings and different tastes on different fuckin’ movies. All of us on this forum have yet to agree that this movie is overrated and this one is not. We’ll be fighting on this thread until the end of time. Hollywood makes movies for everyone. Every man, woman, and child. Granted they put out a lot of pieces of shit as far as I am concerned, but something that I thought was a piece of shit, another person thought that it was a treasure. I for one hated Titanic when it first came out, but the rest of the world loved it, and that is why it is the highest grossing film still to this date, but overrated, I don’t think that movies are overrated. I think that movies are rated by the public.

Previews are what make movies seem overrated. Advertising, commercials, reviews, word of mouth, hollywood buzz, this is what we base our judgments on going to see a movie. Now, the definition that I have seen posted on this thread is that a movie is overrated, because when the movie first came out, everyone went to go see it, and we personally thought that it was a big piece of shit, but is it really the peoples fault. After they hear how much it cost to make, and who is in the movie, and how the critics like it, how the preview looks in the theatre before other movies, or on commercials, they determine whether they are going to see it or not. And just because people continue to like a movie over the years, doesn’t mean that it is overrated. My girlfriend’s favorite movie is still to this day Labrynth, because she loved it as a kid and still likes it for some reason. I don’t like it, but she does. That is just how the world is.

A movie in my opinion cannot be overrated. To me it either sucks or it is good, or it is a masterpiece, but never overrated.

Here are some movies that I have seen on this thread that I liked and didnt like

1. Black Hawk Down- good
  2. Scarface- masterpiece
  3. Titanic- sucked
  4. The Green Mile- good
  5. E.T.- masterpiece
  6. Chicago- sucked

But that is just my opinion, maybe I’m wrong.

No no no Wolf. You’re wrong.

I will respect your opinion if you give me one. You can’t just say that I am wrong. Tell me why I am wrong.

I’m just kidding. It’s just that you posted a beautifully true piece on how opinions are opinions and it’s IMPOSSIBLE for you to be wrong because it’s YOUR opinion. Then you ended it with “maybe I’m wrong” which took away the whole point of your speech. Of course you’re not wrong. It’s an opinion.

films that were mentioned here that some say were overrated

1.Scarface- decent

2.Forest Gump-loved it

3.Titanic-hated it

3.Black Hawk Down-fucking loved it

4.the Green Mile- pretty fucken’ good

5.ET- great

6.Chicago- watch the west side story (way better)

7.Star Wars episode IV-VI - fucken great, some of my favorit movies

8.Star Wars episode I&II -not as good as IV-VI but still good, i just fucken love star wars

9.the Matrix - amazing fucking movie, now that’s a landmark. i think people are affraid of landmark films.

Scarface-- wasn’t impressed, kindof cool, pachino kicks ass

Et – I think it’s just ass good as a great many of his movies, but in a different way

Titanic - way overrated by critics, way underrated by most guys

Star Wars 1and 2 - come on it’s parts 4 and 5 what do you expect, I think thier pretty cool

Traffic - I thought was good but not that good, not as good as oceans 11

Erin Brockovich- not as good as triaffic

Matrix and Reloaded - these movies are going to be around for a long time, I think they kick ass

A Bueatiful mind - WAy overrated, Russell crowe is the only one that should have been nominated for an oscar, and I’m not even sure that he was

That’s all I can think of so far

[quote]Scarface-- wasn’t impressed, kindof cool, pachino kicks ass

Et – I think it’s just ass good as a great many of his movies, but in a different way

Titanic - way overrated by critics, way underrated by most guys

Star Wars 1and 2 - come on it’s parts 4 and 5 what do you expect, I think thier pretty cool

Traffic - I thought was good but not that good, not as good as oceans 11

Erin Brockovich- not as good as triaffic

Matrix and Reloaded - these movies are going to be around for a long time, I think they kick ass

A Bueatiful mind - WAy overrated, Russell crowe is the only one that should have been nominated for an oscar, and I’m not even sure that he was

That’s all I can think of so far [/quote]

Scarface - was a breakthrough movie. No movie had ever exploited just being a mean motherfuckin’ ganster from Latin perspectives

ET- a great movie for everyone. Great effects for the time and a very low key movie with a great pace and attitude

Titanic - hated it

Star Wars 1 & 2 - 1 sucked, 2 was ok

Traffic - great fucking movie, the best I saw in 2000. Gritty, real, informative, awsome intertwineing stories, and great raw emotion.

Erin Brockovich - great true story. I think this is the only movie where Julia Roberts earned her 20 million dollar paycheck.

Matrix 1 & 2 - 1 was the best breakthrough effects, 2 tried way too fuckin’ hard to top the 1st, and missed by a long shot, but I think that Revolutions will be good, but that is what I said about Reloaded, and I was wrong.

A Beautiful Mind - a hate Russell Crowe, and I hate anything that he is in.

Don’t hate man.

And do you mean the first 2 Star Wars movies or Episode one and two?

I aint hatin’, I just expressed my opinions on his picks, and I meant episode 1&2, I think that is what homeboy above me meant to.

Ok. Cool then. If you meant the first two, we were gonna have words, but I can dig someone hating the first two episodes. I liked em, I see how someone might not. My bad.

[quote]Ok. Cool then. If you meant the first two, we were gonna have words, but I can dig someone hating the first two episodes. I liked em, I see how someone might not. My bad.[/quote] a-fucken-men all three of the first star wars movies were so fucking good. I like the new ones because they remind me of the first two, however odd that may seem it’s true.

I don’t know how episode 1 & 2 are overrated, most people hated em. Infact i’m gonna watch Episode 1 right now.

i think a veryy overrated film is “dare devil” all my 13 year old friends loved it i HATED IT!!!

I don’t think it is overrated. Maybe that is because it isn’t held to be good enough to be overrated…