Kill Bill Movie reference (please contribute)

[quote=“Tarantino Forum Admin”]
[quote=“Grindhouse-Ezekiel”]
And if youre searching for THE reference quide, check out the GRINDHOUSE (LINK IN SIG!!!)))))!!!
[/quote]

hehe, just wait… just wait…
[/quote]

hahahaha, dreamer-boy :smiley:

I don’t know if this counts, but I was on a site trying to remember what David carradine’s brother was called, and I noticed he had a niece called Martha Plimpton. The reverands wife was called Martha(Harmony) and The Brides to-be husband had the surname Plympton. Maybe QT got their names from there. (although it’s probably a coincidence)

I’m no where near the movie expert that most of you appear to be, however, the fight scene when the lighting turns blue in front of the screens reminded me of Elvis’ jailhouse rock video. Why? I’m not all together certain, but it did.

[quote=“guiltygenius”]
I’m no where near the movie expert that most of you appear to be, however, the fight scene when the lighting turns blue in front of the screens reminded me of Elvis’ jailhouse rock video. Why? I’m not all together certain, but it did.
[/quote]

interesting. do you have any screenshots for comparison?

this may be a silly question, but wasn’t Elvis’s video for Jailhouse Rock in black and white?

if so, how could the blue lightening remind you of it?

i’m probably wrong, but that was the first thing that came to mind…

:-</E>

I believe it was shot in black and white, it’s more of the shadows, movement and mood that reminded me of jailhouse rock.

ohhhh ok. i’d be rather curious to see screen shots of that as well… :slight_smile:

This is frustrating, because with the millions of Elvis references, I can’t find a good screen shot. Does anyone remember the video? Wasn’t it first lighted, then the lights shut off and only shadows? Honestly, I’m not sure. But I did remember the reference to Jailhouse Rock from True Romance, so now I may just have to go back and rent that to see if I’m imagining a connection.

can’t remember if I mentioned this or someone else did:

PULP FICTION (deleted Scene)

Mia questioning Vincent whether or not he likes Elvis or the Beatles - “you can say you like both but there is always one you like more” or something like that ->

Budd questioning Elle about which R she’s filled with - "you say you can be filled with both, but there’s one R you feel more"

Don’t take my quotes directly…I’m half asleep at the moment, but you get the point.

Check out “Professional Gun” aka “Il Mercenario” (1968) directed by (RIP) Sergio Corbucci. Buddy has a list of steps that the crew has to go through while they’re robbing this bank (I think it was a bank), and as they complete each task, he crosses it off of the list. There’s five steps on the list, and they’re written out exactly like the Death List Five!

Plus we get snippets of Morricone’s brilliant “L’Arena” (played as Uma escapes the lonely grave of Paula Schultz) throughout, and the piece in its entirety during the final duel in a bullfighter’s arena.

And for Billy Crystal fans, Jack Palance is the villain in this movie, and he’s named Curly.

I re-watched Switchblade Sisters last night. The opening of the movie has Maggie gazing into a mirror observing her body. In the commentary, Tarantino believes she’s doing this to try to notice signs of pregnancy. Beatrix does the same thing prior to her meeting with Karen.

[quote=“Laydback”]
I re-watched Switchblade Sisters last night. The opening of the movie has Maggie gazing into a mirror observing her body. In the commentary, Tarantino believes she’s doing this to try to notice signs of pregnancy. Beatrix does the same thing prior to her meeting with Karen.
[/quote]

That just reminded me of the opening scene in Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia, where the pregnant woman is looking at her refection in the water. We know QT also likes Sam Peckinpah, maybe this was also an influence on him?

The anime scene when O-Ren is on the roof shooting reminds me of the comic book “Elektra Assasin” by Bill Sienkiewicz and Frank Miller. She is dressed in red, the same as Elektra, and there is a scene in the comic very similar to the one in the movie. And now that Q is taking part in Frank Miller’s Sin City Movie, it is quite logic he is into his work

Sorry if this has already been mentioned…

in ‘Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon’ :

(1) Jen fights against everyone in the restaurant. Right at the end, she pants out of breath and looks down at the injured people on the floor - like House of blue leaves scene

only read about half this thread so sorry if i repeat

Master Killer - plot

Silent Flute - David Carradine and his flute

Master of the Flying Guillotine - music

Chinese Boxer - fighting

Black Lizard - O-Ren’s character

Katsuhito Ishii - anime

Yagyu Family Conspiracy TV show - “if you want revenge, you have to be willing to kill God and even the Buddha”

Well this may not be a reference but I’ll mention it anyway:

As we know, QT is a big fan of the Coen Brothers. In the their film “Miller’s Crossing” there is a scene where two men come to kill the character ‘Leo’ in his bedroom. Leo hears them coming and gets himself on the floor under his bed. As the men enter the room, he sees the two men’s feet and a bit of their lower legs. Leo shoots one of them (on the leg), he falls to the floor, and then he shoots him again on the head. The other man runs away.

This scene is reminiscent to a similar scene in the anime segment of Kill Bill: Volume 1 right after O-Ren kills Boss Matsumoto.

White Lightning

with Burt Reynolds.

Some of the Music appears in Kill Bill

Great work on getting alot of the references. Some are inaccurate but most are right on the money… a great source for continuing to find more references, for those still searching… is to browse all the movies played at QT fests 1-5. There is too numerous to post here references from most of the movies that showed at them. Many of you have already mentioned bits and pieces from several that played at QT1-QT5 (Truck Turner, Day of Anger, Navajo Joe, Death Rides a Horse, etc). Everyone keeps confusing Elle’s eyepatch with being reference from Switchblade Sisters, when the direct reference is from Christina Lindberg in Thriller (aka They Call Her One Eye)… as well as the device of her getting various types of training to ultimately help her kill the bad guy. While writing the script for Kill Bill, Tarantino had a poster of Thriller up next to him w/ Christina and her eyepatch and any of the times I’ve ever been around him he has always referred to Thriller as the source for Elle’s eyepatch. The huge fight that breaks out towards the end of “The Chinese Boxer” provided much of the basic inspiration for House of Blue Leaves. There is also several European films of 60’s/70’s not mentioned yet that are referenced in the movie… keep up the great hunting.

i don´t know if somebody already said this but here it goes. the black and yellow dress that uma wears is from bruce lee movie game of death

[quote=“Pai_Mei”]
i don´t know if somebody already said this but here it goes. the black and yellow dress that uma wears is from bruce lee movie game of death
[/quote]

Thats pretty much common knowledge…