Juno

Juno’s writter Diablo Cody used to write for our local City Pages here in Minneapolis until she went to Hollywood. Can’t bring myself to see the move but she is an excellent writer.

No Country For Old Men-had to see it twice to like it, first time in the theatre, I was waiting for something that never happened. Then watched it again at home on bootleg, and loved it, but was so confused since the audience in the bootleg movie laughed about 25 times where in our theatre there was no laughter what so ever. What was funny?

[quote=“Angel”]
She reminds me a lot of the girls in Ghost World actually.
[/quote]

It’s because of that sarcastic teenage world but Ghost World is definately more sarcastic.

About Juno, I saw it yesterday, totally awesome. I really love this new indie comedy genre in the US indie industry. The actors were all awesome, especially the kids, the dialogue were incredibly awesome. I’d like to talk so with being shy, ahah. You said Bio that it isn’t about the dialogues but about the characters but I think both are very important, especially cause the dialogues really define the characters.

I don’t understand why people said here that it’s good but too much overrated though. I think it deserves such recognition and hype around the movie especially cause it’s a small indie movie so that’s even better to get such recognition.

I really hope they’re gonna get stuff at the Oscars !

Edit : I can’t even sacrifice the fact that it’d be cool that Marion Cotillard gets the oscar, cause that’s only some stupid patriotic feelings, BUT I’d like so much Ellen Page to get the oscar, would be so unexpected and great.

I liked Garden State and Sideways, also two movies from this new “quirky with added drama” comedy genre, better. Why Garden State did not get half as much buzz as Juno is beyond me.

Garden State got a lot of buzz too, yet not as much as Little Miss Sunshine, Juno and so on. But Garden State got a lot of recognition. I love it better too, I guess Bio too (right ?) but Juno is still awesome.

Well Sideways got an oscar, it looks like juno will get one too, and Garden state got pretty much nothing if i remember correctly.

Little Miss Sunshine was nice, but just that. nothing more. i have no idea how it got into the imdb top 250

This movie annoyed me. Way overrated and over written

All these indie dramedies usually have the same problem: they try too hard with the dialogue. But for a bunch of awful ones (which I seemed to have blocked out cause no real stinkers come to mind) there’s something like a Little Miss Sunshine or a Juno coming out every year. Out of these, I prefer Juno. Garden State had enough good stuff to make it watchable but big parts of that movie are just infuriating to me. Sideways I didn’t really care for.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
Well Sideways got an oscar, it looks like juno will get one too, and Garden state got pretty much nothing if i remember correctly.
[/quote]

That is very true, but yeah I guess they can’t all have one. Wes Anderson who’s part of this comic indie trend and since longer than all these newbies, never had anything either… :-</E>

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
That is very true, but yeah I guess they can’t all have one. Wes Anderson who’s part of this comic indie trend and since longer than all these newbies, never had anything either… :-</E>
[/quote]

well at least he got an Oscar nomination for the Royal Tenenbaums script, which is well deserved i might say.

I think Wes is not trying so hard to be quirky and be part of a new indie wave or anything, he has a very distinctive style (that I love, btw)

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
It’s because of that sarcastic teenage world but Ghost World is definately more sarcastic.

About Juno, I saw it yesterday, totally awesome. I really love this new indie comedy genre in the US indie industry. The actors were all awesome, especially the kids, the dialogue were incredibly awesome. I’d like to talk so with being shy, ahah. You said Bio that it isn’t about the dialogues but about the characters but I think both are very important, especially cause the dialogues really define the characters.

I don’t understand why people said here that it’s good but too much overrated though. I think it deserves such recognition and hype around the movie especially cause it’s a small indie movie so that’s even better to get such recognition.

I really hope they’re gonna get stuff at the Oscars !

Edit : I can’t even sacrifice the fact that it’d be cool that Marion Cotillard gets the oscar, cause that’s only some stupid patriotic feelings, BUT I’d like so much Ellen Page to get the oscar, would be so unexpected and great.
[/quote]

See you’re wrong, dialogue does not define a character, their actions define who they are. When she chooses not to abort the baby - that TELLS us alot about Juno. We know that she isin’t the kind of person that disregards life just because she doesn’t know the baby inside of her. The scene where the Jason Bateman character and Jeniffer Garner are choosing the coloring for their wall also tells us EVERYTHING about their relationship. Jen’s mind set goes further into family and Jason is really somewhere else, it’s a great scene. Dialogue is sort of like a portal to a person’s soul, we understand them better - but it doesn’t define them as a person.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Garden State got a lot of buzz too, yet not as much as Little Miss Sunshine, Juno and so on. But Garden State got a lot of recognition. I love it better too, I guess Bio too (right ?) but Juno is still awesome.
[/quote]

I love Garden State but not as much as I liked Juno. In Garden State, Andrew Largeman is always explaining his emotions instead of showing them to us. We know everything about him by what he says not by what he does - and I think that alone made the film sag a bit. And if you compare it to Juno - we at least get flashbacks of her and Pauly doing it in that couch, it says so much by saying very little, all she ever says is “It started with a couch” in the opening - then after we see the flasback we know what happened - it doesn’t waste any time, the story is germane and manages to tell a great, fun story in such a short time span.

Germane to what? That was one of my bigger problems with Juno actually, That whole “It started with a chair”. She told us then she showed us. Kinda redundant. The only reason that line was in there was so they could wrap it up in a pretty little bow at the end with the “It ended with a chair” line.

One of the other problems I had with the film was Michael Cera. He’s proving himself to be the new Jon Heder. Napolean Dynamite was an excitingly refreshing new character until we learned that’s just the only way Jon Heder knows how to talk.

I saw it a few days ago! It rocked :slight_smile:

First of: whoever says this movie is good because it is so realistic is smoking crack. Juno is the personification of an emotionless ‘alternative’ teenager. It;s an romanticized image of what every ‘alternative’ teenager wants to be: smart, independent, with an edge and a smart answer for everything. Not concerned with the world at all, just locked up in her own world.

The dialogue rocks. Juno is totally lovable and it has so many cool references to movies, music and pop culture from lynch to horror and indie music. I loved the moldy peaches at the ending of it.

loved. it. Seriously.

9/10

So cool you loved the movie ! I knew it and the soundtrack is awesome, especially The Modly Peaches indeed.

And you’re so right about :

[quote=“Seth_Gecko”]
First of: whoever says this movie is good because it is so realistic is smoking crack. Juno is the personification of an emotionless ‘alternative’ teenager. It;s an romanticized image of what every ‘alternative’ teenager wants to be: smart, independent, with an edge and a smart answer for everything. Not concerned with the world at all, just locked up in her own world.
[/quote]

Can’t add anything after this.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
In Garden State, Andrew Largeman is always explaining his emotions instead of showing them to us. We know everything about him by what he says not by what he does [/quote]

Which is justified by the fact that Large is a different kind of character, especially that his dad is a shrink, so he has more this analytic relationship to himself BUT he finally understand there’s no need to analyze himself, that he should just follow his feelings, that he can’t live anymore with all the bullshits about him from his dad.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
See you’re wrong, dialogue does not define a character, their actions define who they are. When she chooses not to abort the baby - that TELLS us alot about Juno. We know that she isin’t the kind of person that disregards life just because she doesn’t know the baby inside of her. The scene where the Jason Bateman character and Jeniffer Garner are choosing the coloring for their wall also tells us EVERYTHING about their relationship. Jen’s mind set goes further into family and Jason is really somewhere else, it’s a great scene. Dialogue is sort of like a portal to a person’s soul, we understand them better - but it doesn’t define them as a person.
[/quote]

I agree with what you said. Action also defines someone, especially when action are in the opposite of what we said, basic psychological stuff. But we can’t disagree with the fact that words and the way we’re talking also defines us. Example : if Juno would have spoken like a regular teenager, no sarcasm, no irony, it would have made her a different character, even if all the actions would have stayed the same. As Seth said, it’s also about personification and the dialogues are in a way this personification of a kind of teenager -trendy, alternative, whatever you want-.

[quote=“Jack Wolfgang”]
All these indie dramedies usually have the same problem: they try too hard with the dialogue. But for a bunch of awful ones (which I seemed to have blocked out cause no real stinkers come to mind) there’s something like a Little Miss Sunshine or a Juno coming out every year. Out of these, I prefer Juno. Garden State had enough good stuff to make it watchable but big parts of that movie are just infuriating to me. Sideways I didn’t really care for.
[/quote]

The way I see it. Little Miss Sunshine < Garden State < Juno < Sideways. Even though I enjoy those other films, Sideways can’t really be grouped with them. It’s more real. It isn’t one of those indie dramedies that “tries too hard with the dialogue”. Sideways is, in my opinion, one of the best American films to come out in the past few years.

[quote=“DexPac”]
One of the other problems I had with the film was Michael Cera. He’s proving himself to be the new Jon Heder. Napolean Dynamite was an excitingly refreshing new character until we learned that’s just the only way Jon Heder knows how to talk.
[/quote]

I don’t agree at all. Michael Cera has an amazing talent for making any dialogue sound natural. Napoleon Dynamite isn’t exactly a masterclass in acting. I really don’t think that’s a good comparison.

my ratings are…

Little Miss Sunshine 6/10

Garden State 9/10

Juno 7,5/10

Sideways 10/10

[quote=“Angel”]
I don’t agree at all. Michael Cera has an amazing talent for making any dialogue sound natural. Napoleon Dynamite isn’t exactly a masterclass in acting. I really don’t think that’s a good comparison.
[/quote]

I just meant that they’re both one note guys.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
my ratings are…

Garden State 9/10

Juno 7,5/10

Sideways 10/10
[/quote]
Seconded.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
my ratings are…

Garden State 9/10

Juno 7,5/10

Sideways 10/10
[/quote]

I agree, except personally I wouldn’t give Garden State as high as a 9. Sideways is definitely a 10 though.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
my ratings are…

Garden State 9/10

Juno 7,5/10

Sideways 10/10
[/quote]

My ratings:

Little Miss Sunshine 8/10

Garden State 9/10

Juno 8/10

Sideways 8/10