Juno

Best movie of 07! So far I’ve finished watching all the “Oscar” contenders and the best movie I’ve seen all year is Juno and No Country For Old Men - I still have to see “There Will Be Blood”, but Juno is my favorite. The movie sort of feels like a Charlie Kaufman movie, I really liked it.

yes it was nice, I liked it, but definately overhyped. it does not deserve all the Oscar attention.

^Amen. It was a good film, but not incredibly unique or memorable. It certainly had its high points such as pretty much all the scenes with Jason Bateman, but the dialogue was painfully self-concious at times. In particular, when J.K. Simmons said this line " and if I see that Bleaker kid again anytime soon I’m gonna punch him right in the weiner." Who the hell says shit like that?

Maybe that’s how exotic dancers talk…

Well for once teenagers aren’t worried about fashion and dating the “hottest” guy/girl in school or the whole nerd thing being played out like in Mean Girls…etc. It’s a real movie for the real world with a lot of humor. And not everyone is the same, every person talks/acts differently because that is just their way of being, and in addition to that Juno is only sixteen years of age, she’s still a kid.

Alright. I conceed to your point that it wasn’t a formulaic teen/family film, and I most definitely enjoyed watching it. However, I just feel that its not quite as great as everyone makes it out to be, and I would also like to add that that one line was not the only instance of dodgy dialogue that I can site. For instance, the seemingly forced inclusion of slang terms like “Fo’ shizzle”, or the doofy “Thundercats, Ho!” bit when Juno’s water broke are two other such examples of poorly chosen bits of reportage, IMO. These moments just didn’t feel real to me.

Juno nothin’ about this movie! >:(

This film isin’t about the dialogue! It’s about the characters!

Not the best film of the year, but it should get the best original screenplay award.

Yeah, I’ve only made it about eight and a half minutes into the movie and the dialogue kinda stands out. It’s almost as if the writer had no idea how kids talk so she just made up her own slang.

The characterization is totally awesome!

I listened to Diablo on the TK show on Indie 101.3 LA like three months ago. She was on with Edgar Wright. I have to say, she wasn’t bullshitting when she seemed so confident about it.

It’s a good movie but there’s no way in hell it can stand against “There Will Be Blood”, that movie’s a masterpiece.

DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINAGE, ELI! 8)

Good thing we’re not comparing it to There Will Be Blood. :wink:

It is a very good film though. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Strange.

[quote=“DexPac”]
Yeah, I’ve only made it about eight and a half minutes into the movie and the dialogue kinda stands out. It’s almost as if the writer had no idea how kids talk so she just made up her own slang.
[/quote]

Diablo Cody talks like that on her blog, I think she was just writing a version of herself. And besides, it doesn’t need to be how “kids” talk, because Juno is not meant to be a normal teenager. I don’t think there really is a definitive way that teenagers talk anyway. I don’t talk like anyone in Mean Girls or American Pie.

She reminds me a lot of the girls in Ghost World actually.

I’m kind of over this one, I already saw it 3 times and I also read the script. The funy thing is the script is even darker than what you see on screen.

I can’t believe the director for this movie got nominated, though - I mean even Zach Braff could have directed this movie, there’s hardly any action!

Great writing and acting though. ::slight_smile:

[quote=“Biohazard”]
I can’t believe the director for this movie got nominated, though - I mean even Zach Braff could have directed this movie, there’s hardly any action!

Great writing and acting though. ::slight_smile:
[/quote]

I know that was meant to be a rolleyes-smilie. (It doesn’t work for some reason)

So let me ask you, why the roll eyes? “Hardly any action, great writing and acting” is what you get in RD, PF and JB too, do you hate those too?

QT has great style numbnuts - how dare you question my love for QT and his films.

Assface clown >:(

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Juno nothin’ about this movie!
[/quote]

Hahahaha

It was a good movie but it felt kinda flat to me. Apart from Jennifer Garner, the performances just felt dull and void of emotion. But I think her and Juno were the only ones that really had anything to work with.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
QT has great style numbnuts - how dare you question my love for QT and his films.

Assface clown >:(

[/quote]

so QT is all about style to you and nothing else? you know, that’s what people who dislike his movies say too.

but really, did you expect action from Juno? or from Garden State or Sideways?

no need to get personal, mister.

Just saw this and loved it, so far my second favourite movie of 2007 behind Death Proof. Haven’t seen There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men and a couple of others I really wanna see. It started a little dodgy with some overwritten lines but won me over completely. It had a number of laugh out loud moments for me and even a couple of kinda touching bits. I’d only seen Michael Cera in Superbad (which I also liked a lot) before this one and it looks like he’s becoming the master at low-key delivery of hilarious lines.

[quote=“Jack Wolfgang”]
I’d only seen Michael Cera in Superbad (which I also liked a lot) before this one and it looks like he’s becoming the master at low-key delivery of hilarious lines.
[/quote]

Yeah, my brother and I were commenting during Superbad about how Michael Cera is going to be an awesome actor when he gets older. He’s already excellent at making dialogue sound as natural as possible. He has awesome delivery.

As much as I loved Juno, I’m afraid to watch it again because I can just tell it is the kind of film that I will get sick of and I don’t want to hate it so soon. I think it’s good, but not timeless. But maybe I’m wrong.