Joel Schumacher: Not so bad

As much as I loathe Schumacher’s ultra flamboyant Batman movies, I have to say, his non-Batman films are pretty damn cool.

Stuff like: Lost Boys, Flatliners, Falling Down, St Elmos Fire, A Time to Kill. I havent seen Tigerland yet, but I hear thats good too. Am I forgetting any others?

Anyway, theyre ALL good films. Why did he totally fuck Batman up so bad? I guess we’ll never know.

His new film, Phone Booth looks very cool as well. I love suspense thrillers like that, I’m probably gonna go see it.

BTW, I just realized Ive seen 3 Schumacher films in the theater: Lost Boys, Flatliners and Falling Down.

That’s a good point…as much as everyone hates him for ruining the Batman franchise…he has released some very good movies, my favorites being Lost Boys, Falling Down, 8MM, and Tigerland

The best film has gotta be lost boys. damn good. But you’ve gotta admit that the batman thing is kinda unforgiveable, he did a baaaaaad thing…

i liked 8MM, because it was quite an intense subject to tackle and it was well-made.

besides, if you listen to the audio commentary, Schumacher seems to be a very cool guy with lots of knowledge.

I forgot about 8mm.

I didnt like 8mm at all. It seemed to be a partial remake of Paul Shrader’s Hardcore (1978) which is a much better film IMO.

Joel Schumacher made some pretty good films back in the day, (like the ones you listed). I think his good films of late have been overlooked, or associated with suckiness on the weight of the badness of Batman and Robin. (I think 8MM was good, as was Tigerland). Hes really not that bad of a director, just he had a missfire so huge thats its hard to let go of. If Phone Booth is really tight, which it appears to be, it may be the return of Joel to respectable cinema. A redemption if you will.

[quote]I forgot about 8mm.

I didnt like 8mm at all. It seemed to be a partial remake of Paul Shrader’s Hardcore (1978) which is a much better film IMO. [/quote]

I agree.  "Hardcore" is a much better film, but "8MM" is okay.  If Schumacher would've stayed truer to A.K. Walker's script, it would've been a little better.  Then again, if David Fincher would've directed it like A.K. Walker wanted him to, "8MM" would've been a completely different film.  Just my thoughts...<br/>

M.W.

I just saw Phone Booth the other day…it was an alright movie, especially with what they had to work with. Not very long, I think like 81 minutes, but they keep it interesting. Keifer Sutherland is great…and it’s just his voice!

I also think that joel is great and underrated cos of the batmans. see also flawless with de niro and philip sypmour hoffman(sorry i don’t recall the spelling of his name tho is 1 of the best actors today) It’s a fucking great movie!

[quote]I also think that joel is great and underrated cos of the batmans. see also flawless with de niro and philip sypmour hoffman(sorry i don’t recall the spelling of his name tho is 1 of the best actors today) It’s a fucking great movie![/quote]

He did Flawless? Ive seen that one too. I mustve missed the credit at the beginning of it. Its definitely a crazy film. I cant say I loved it, buit it wasnt bad.

Lost Boys is a damn fine film although i saw Tigerland recently and didnt think it was anything special - same with Phonebooth too. Im trying to hunt down more of his films to see.

I enjoyed Phone Booth, and i thought Lost Boys was entertaining but nowhere as good as Near Dark, one of my favorite vampire movies. i do hope that Schumacher doesn’t fuck up Phantom of the Opera. This could be a really cool movie.

He’s going to do Phantom of the Opera?! ??? I’m not too sure about that, it just doesn’t seem to fit Schumacher’s style. I always looked at the Phantom story as something a director like Tim Burton would manage to tackle.

I bought Phone Booth and Falling Down (two kick ass movies) and I don’t carry a grudge against Schumacher for the Batman movies. Batman Forever was whatever, not bad, not good, and Batman & Robin just sucked. But I don’t care enuf about it to hate the fuckn director.

He isnt bad in his genre.

falling down was ok. the concept is very stupid though.

Tigerland was a great movie. I like Joel now.

[quote]He’s going to do Phantom of the Opera?!  ??? I’m not too sure about that, it just doesn’t seem to fit Schumacher’s style. I always looked at the Phantom story as something a director like Tim Burton would manage to tackle.[/quote]

Originally, John Woo was gonna direct Phantom, possibly with Chow Yun-Fat. But now he isn’t, and my heart has been broken. :’(

guys guys guys how the hell can you forget about his best film to date

A TIME TO KILL

[quote]guys guys guys how the hell can you forget about his best film to date

A TIME TO KILL[/quote]

Um…probably not.