Inglourious Basterds info-center (pre-production)

Ive been thinking about a few actors I would like to see in this movie if there is a part for them. One actor Ive wanted QT to use for some time is Scott Glen. I think he would be good in a war movie and he plays a bad guy so well. Anyone else have any people they would like to see QT work with in this film? Some of the people Ive heard being considered is sorta disappointing.

Burt Reynolds would be great. Have been saying that for a long time now.

Another guy is Fred Williamson. Was in the other I.B., only fitting. Also he is awesome. lol.

Just thinking how about…William Devane,Martin Kove, or Lou Ferrigno? But most of all you got have Al Leong somwhere in the movie

all those guys are awesome but everyone (including Michael Madsen or Adam Sandler) are way too old to play soldiers. I remember what Sam Fuller said about WW2 and the big red one: when he fought he was 35 yrs old and was 10 yrs older than everybody else… i am really eager to know what the trick will be to make this word.

PS- it is not a critique, I’d rather have some cool 40 to 60 yrs old actors in that film than chris evans or a dickhead like him … ;D

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
all those guys are awesome but everyone (including Michael Madsen or Adam Sandler) are way too old to play soldiers. I remember what Sam Fuller said about WW2 and the big red one: when he fought he was 35 yrs old and was 10 yrs older than everybody else… i am really eager to know what the trick will be to make this word.

PS- it is not a critique, I’d rather have some cool 40 to 60 yrs old actors in that film than chris evans or a dickhead like him … ;D
[/quote]

The age depends on what rank some of the soldiers held. If they get these guys from prison they could be old bad asses.

It was WORLD WAR fuckin’ TWO, the entire world except Sweden was at fuckin’ war. Age did not matter, you joined the fight. The only time age came into play was the Vietnam war cause that’s after they constituted the draft bullshit and fuck everything and everybody over for a war that had nothing to do with us, like we’re doing again.

Sandler and Madsen could easily be soldiers, it really doesn’t matter, they grabbed anybody for that war.

QT talks a bit on a Bastards scene:

"I get the characters talking to each other and I write it all down and clean it up a little. So I’m writing something now and what I wanted to happen is this soldier is talking to a girl and eventually he charms her enough so she has a cup of coffee with him. That’s how Quentin the writer would have liked it to end, but when I wrote it all he didn’t do it. The soldier didn’t charm her enough, he charmed her enough for her not to say, “Get the fuck outta here!â€

a pussy eating scene might be included?

Main Soldiers:

Michael Madsen (Bad ass soldier with rough past)

Kurt Russell (crazy homophobic racist Sean Penn-ish character like in Casualties of War)

Michael Bacall (Normal)

Eli Roth (Thin, jewish soldier who fumbles with handgrenades)

Tim Roth (English jewish soldier that is a bad ass motha effer)

Steve Buscemi (The funny one)

Bo Svenson (soldier, killed early, just there as a homage)

Guest star soldiers should be:

Cheech Marin

John Saxon

Fred Williamson (Same character as in The IB)

Michael Keaton

Michael & James Parks

Various chicks and nurses:

Zoe Bell as a quirky kiwi nurse that fumbles with her needles.

Mary E. Winstead as a cute nurse.

Marley Shelton playing Dr.Block’s mother?

Pam Grier as the bad ass black nurse that would kill any white cracker in a second.

Darryl Hannah as cold hearted bitchy nurse.

Uma Thurman as an annoying selfish clerk at a store in the beginning of the movie.

Natalie Portman as customer bitching about hoow green the apples are in a store

Rosario Dawson playing vietnamese chick getting hit on.

Cameos:

Robert Rodriguez as a mexican/american war photographer.

QT as a severed head anywhere in the film.

Adam Sandler as a psychotic nazi.

Bad Max (Me.) as a swedish anti war dude that gets his head shot off by WW I veteran.

Lou Ferrigno as buffed up, steroid taking soldier that kills 10 nazi with his bare hands

[quote=“Bad Max”]
Eli Roth (Thin, jewish soldier who fumbles with handgrenades)[/quote]
Lol, that made me laugh for some reason.

As for cast, I have no idea who would be good.

Samuel L Jackson as: Black, angry soldier who curses alot and has geri curls.

John Travolta (in drag) as: Fat white Italian nurse who sings and dances in the French bistro.

Jet Li as: Asian guy who does kung fu.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]

Jet Li as: Asian guy who does kung fu.
[/quote]

Forget Jet Li get Al Leong, he was like in every other action movie in the 80’s :wink:

Al Leong as: Asian guy who does kung fu/cooks Chinese food.

Donald Sutherland as 1960-hippie in a 1940s-war.

Hint hint (still funny film though).

I love Kelly’s Heroes, fun movie!

WOOF! WOOF!!!

can we please stop speculating in a topic called “info center”?

it’s like the “dead nigger storage” sign. there is none. feel free to open a topic “IB speculation madness”, but stuff like this is just gonna consfuse people, i think

Yeah true Seb. Thats why I put in an excerpt from the interview.

Max: See what you did?!! :smiley:

I think part of the film will take place in France. Remember in WW II Battle Of The Bulge!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bulge/gallery/index.html

In mid-1944, it looked as if the war in Europe was coming to an end. Hitler was on the run; the Allies had triumphantly regained Paris, as well as Casablanca and Naples and Rome. After five hard years of war, Allied soldiers were breathing easier – even stopping to enjoy dances and parties.

Hitler, however, had one final card to play. In December 1944, he struck back with a counterattack that has come to be known as the Battle of the Bulge – the single biggest and bloodiest American soldiers have ever fought – in which nearly 80,000 were killed, maimed or captured in an infernal test of courage and endurance.

Battle of the Bulge looks at the battle through the eyes of the U.S. soldiers and combat officers in the field – the young men charged with holding the line and closing the bulge. In their own words, they describe the events leading up to the attack; unpreparedness and surprise of the Allied forces; and the grueling physical and psychological conditions under which they fought.

Packed with newsreel and Army footage, Battle the Bulge offers an intimate, compelling chronicle of war that captures both the action on the battle’s front lines and the strategy behind the scenes. The program uncovers the unique mixture of faith, fear and prudence that sustained American soldiers in battle and led to their ultimate victory – as well as the horror that still haunts their memories.

It came as a total surprise when, on December 16, 1944, thirty German divisions – a quarter of a million men strong – roared across an 85-mile Allied front, from southern Belgium to the middle of Luxembourg. Secretly planned down to the detail by Hitler himself, the invasion was designed to split the American-British alliance, setting them to quarreling and permitting the Führer to negotiate a peace. The losses on the first day were massive; in some places, the Allies were outnumbered ten to one.

By Christmas, the German offensive had opened a bulge some 50 miles into the Allied lines, forcing the biggest mass surrender of American soldiers since Bataan – some 4,000 men in a single day.

But General Eisenhower decided that this was the Allies’ chance to end the war once and for all. Across the rolling hills and dark forests of Belgium and Luxembourg, more than half a million young men were thrown into the cause.

The soldiers often fought in zero-temperature conditions and driving snow, which prevented them from seeing more than 10 or 20 yards in front of them. With equipment and uniforms that were designed for warmer times, frostbite became a terrible reality. Because soldiers were often cut off from their divisions in foxholes, the wounded, in some cases, literally froze to death.

“Both the enemy and the weather could kill you,” says Private Bart Hagerman of the 17th Airborne in the film. “And the two of them together was a pretty deadly combination.”

“It seems like you’re in this deadly struggle under miserable conditions and the whole universe is united against you,” recalls Sergeant Ed Stewart of the 84th Infantry.

As the battle wore on and the Americans suffered more and more casualties, men had to be found to take their places. As a result, physical standards were lowered, and training was cut short. In one the film’s most moving sections, Ben Kimmelman, a captain in the 28th Infantry, describes how soldiers who had been physically wounded or disturbed by combat were given cursory treatment and shipped back to the front.

“Men who were wounded and were redeemable were in a very bad position,” recalls Kimmelman.“… It’s very hard to forget the expressions on their faces … a kind of hollow-eyed, lifeless, slack-jawed expression. … It’s almost as though they’re going to a hopeless doom.”

The Battle of the Bulge ended in the last few days of January 1945, when American troops made their way back to the original lines: the ones they had held when the battle began. Sixteen thousand Americans had lost their lives and 60,000 were wounded or captured; German casualties were said to be twice that. And for many veterans, the terrible battle has never ended.

“It doesn’t go away,” says Sergeant Ed Stewart of the 84th Infantry. “It sleeps sometimes, but then it awakens again … It’s an enormity of an experience. And everything after that has been a footnote.”

Now that would make a GREAT MOVIE!

[quote=“Scarface”]
QT has been writing the IB script for how many years now? 6? 7? Must be a record.
[/quote]

Actually, the earliest mention of IB I could find is a 1995 interview QT did with Robert Zemeckis. So that makes it over 12 years. In the interview QT says: “One of the things that I’m considering doing, of the dancing projects in my head, is the genre that I call World War II Movie - Bunch of Guys on a Mission.” He goes on to say that World War II movies aren’t adventurous anymore, they focus too much on the victims, and that he wants to bring the adventure aspect back. Zemeckis agrees saying that “the Vietnam War screwed up the World War II genre, because war movies of any kind can’t be fun anymore, because war is presented, as it probably should be, as this ugly, horrible thing.” QT responds by saying that you can’t make a fun movie about war anymore but you can make an “exciting” war movie.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
I think part of the film will take place in France. Remember in WW II Battle Of The Bulge!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bulge/gallery/index.html

[/quote]

It will take place in France. Remember “Once Upon a Time in Nazi Occupied France”?

QT’s been doing a lot of research for a long time. I think he even took some college courses on World War II, if I’m not mistaken.

[quote=“FilmGuy”]
Actually, the earliest mention of IB I could find is a 1995 interview QT did with Robert Zemeckis. So that makes it over 12 years. In the interview QT says: “One of the things that I’m considering doing, of the dancing projects in my head, is the genre that I call World War II Movie - Bunch of Guys on a Mission.” He goes on to say that World War II movies aren’t adventurous anymore, they focus too much on the victims, and that he wants to bring the adventure aspect back. Zemeckis agrees saying that “the Vietnam War screwed up the World War II genre, because war movies of any kind can’t be fun anymore, because war is presented, as it probably should be, as this ugly, horrible thing.” QT responds by saying that you can’t make a fun movie about war anymore but you can make an “exciting” war movie.

It will take place in France. Remember “Once Upon a Time in Nazi Occupied France”?

QT’s been doing a lot of research for a long time. I think he even took some college courses on World War II, if I’m not mistaken.
[/quote]

I dunno, maybe this is just me being overly optimistic, but something tells me Inglorious Bastards is going to be his definitive masterpiece. It just feels like it’s going to piss all over Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. I mean this is the thing he has actually been working on since he was a kid. Remember the “But mom, I didn’t curse, it was the soldier” anecdote from when he was a kid? I think everything will fall into place with this. It will have aspects from all his favourite genre’s in there, especially the Spaghetti Western. He says that with everyone film he tries to reach the greatness of The Good the Bad and the Ugly but he never does, and knows he never can. But IB I feel will be pretty fucking close if not exceed Leone’s genius. I think it will be great acting, great music, great action, great set pieces and above all, great dialogue-galore. I just hope to dear God that he DOES NOT do this as a TV series. I want it to be a film, and it’s gotta be entitled Inglorious Bastards, and it has to be his ultimate film, like all his life he was working towards making this film. After this film, he will win all those fans he lost from Death Proof. After this film, he will be viewed in a new light of greatness. After this film, he can get struck by lightening. He would have done what he was put on this planet to do.

[size=80]Of course I could be wrong and he produces something worse than Death Proof (which in my opinion is his weakest film, relatively speaking) and people will see him as the one trick pony they always accused him of, and he’ll lose all respect amongst cinephiles. He will have offically been laughed off the arena.[/size]

If he plans to do this film justice, he needs to do more action films. He just hasn’t gotten there yet. Kill Bill was terrific, but he needs to do more so that he’ll be prepared. Preparation=success.

One thing I get tired of is redefining shit. Sometimes, redefining shit is not all that great, it’s one directors vision of something. Kubrick didn’t redefine the Horror film with The Shining, damn good as it was, it didn’t. Halloween did IMHO. But, if he’s going to do this film, he needs more prep in my opinion.