HERO, the movie (dif cuts)

Hi fridge buzz now.

really they call it a communist propaganda? Oh some people are so stupid, this guys should inform a little bit better. The communist in China complain about it being anti communisting…

Anyway…

I share the same feelings like you for the movie. I saw it last year in the theatre and I own the DVD with the DC version. It is really a great movie. I love it.

What were the reaction in the theatre you saw the movie. Dug the people the movie? When I left the theatre, everyone was like: Oh, what great!

I asked my dad about the whole Communist thing, and he said NO because China didn’t become communistic until much much later. Anyway, this didn’t have as much action as I thought, but it was alot better in many ways in which I didn’t expect it to be. Which do you guys think is better, Zatoichi or Hero? I think Zatoichi had the better action, while Hero had the most raw emotion and better story…

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
I asked my dad about the whole Communist thing, and he said NO because China didn’t become communistic until much much later. Anyway, this didn’t have as much action as I thought, but it was alot better in many ways in which I didn’t expect it to be. Which do you guys think is better, Zatoichi or Hero? I think Zatoichi had the better action, while Hero had the most raw emotion and better story…
[/quote]

zaoichi had stupid-ass-ridiculous blood and sword FX and a lousy script. hero is some kind of perfect martial arts fairytail

The blood only really sucked at the beginning…but it got better as it went along. But the action was awesome in Zatoichi, even if the CGI shit was a little iffy. Kitano’s films usually have very minimal scripts anyway because they depend on mood and atmosphere more than actual story…plus Kitano can’t remember many lines so he tries to keep everything simple.

Aside from the Communist thing, I also heard people comparing the King in the movie to Dubya Bush and his war on terrorism, and I found that to be sort of plausible; “Let’s end all war by controlling everything” is sort of like “Let’s end terrorism by starting a war”, but I don’t know, maybe I’m overthinking it and I should stop reading so many messageboards…except for this one, of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

But starting a war may actually end terrorism…I mean fighting in China

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
But starting a war may actually end terrorism…I mean fighting in China
[/quote]

this topic is not about the war on terroristm, please!

[quote]But starting a war may actually end terrorism…I mean fighting in China[/quote]
Meh, who knows? See what happens when people think too hard about movies?

I just watched HERO again.

The first time I saw it was back in 2001 when it was released to theaters worldwide in the MiramAXED verison.

NOw i just finished watching CPS’ chinese DVD and I have to say the movie makes more sense now, its more fluent, the fights are not as hacked up and the shots are longer and more beautiful. The DVD is not that good, but its currently the only way to see it until miramax releases this version on DVD, and I suspect that the quality of the Miramax DVD wont be that good, as well.

go see this in theaters now

Miramax release this version on dvd? I read that they’re only releasing the 99 minute cut

saw a bit of this movie today and tought it was pretty bad but we all have different taste.i dint like when they jumped and was in the air for a couple of minutes

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
Miramax release this version on dvd? I read that they’re only releasing the 99 minute cut
[/quote]

I am not sure. i thought they released the uncut to theaters and thus, to dvd, too.

fucking shit, guys, this movie was released WORLDWIDE in 2001 already, the cut version, its out on dvd for over 2 years now. why would the wait so long and then release the cut one?

though, somebody confirm this… is it now the cut or uncut one they put to theaters.

many people didnt know, but MIramax DID release this in 2001, but only to as few theaters as they had to in order to have it run for academy award

miramax is just filled with some much bullshit! just wanna strangle them!

Hero? That Chinese movie?

Well, I had to watch it in school history lessons. And I found out these things:

1. There are no two Chineses who haven’t been fighting with swords.
  2. That every phrase a Chinese ever says have to sound dramatical.
  3. That China’s traditional music is a looping 10 second piece of somebody awfully and randomly playing with a saw.
  4. If you draw a hieroglyph you have to move in a very supid way.
  5. In China there’s a different gravity system.

Maybe I would find more, but I was sleeping most of the time. I still can’t believe I watched it, I didn’t like it. After the great Pai Mei scenes I was really interested in China, but I wasn’t expecting something like that. Tarantino should make China movies.

Sniff, Sniff

only for the record, you just broke my little heart with this post

cpsstartscrieing :’( :’( :’(

[quote=“Bleach”]
5. In China there’s a different gravity system.

Maybe I would find more, but I was sleeping most of the time. I still can’t believe I watched it, I didn’t like it. After the great Pai Mei scenes I was really interested in China, but I wasn’t expecting something like that. Tarantino should make China movies.
[/quote]

1. Hero is not a movie about realism, like Crouching Tiger, it’s more like a fairytale
  2. this movie teaches more about chinese culture than any american director ever could.
  3. tarantino doesnt make china movies. ever. he only makes movies about movies from china. remember that :wink:
  4. a different gravity system? that’s called wire-fu and is part of the “fairytale” aspect

[quote]2. this movie teaches more about chinese culture than any american director ever could.[/quote] Yes, yes, that’s EXACTLY what the teacher told us, that’s why we had to watch it.

[quote]3. tarantino doesnt make china movies. ever. he only makes movies about movies from china. remember that :wink:[/quote] Well yes, but he makes them very much better than China movies actually are.

[quote]4. a different gravity system? that’s called wire-fu and is part of the “fairytale” aspect[/quote] Wow… you know a lot about that…

It was a fairytale?? It seemed very weird and I didn’t like it at all, I thought it was kind of stupid. Ok, forgive me if I hurt someones feelings, you should know that I have seen sooo few movies in my life. I don’t know anything about actors or something. Since yesterday I know that Madsen actually played in other movies too. Wow. Well that’s why I can’t appreciate movies - I don’t have any experience and knowledge. But I am now visiting cinemas more often :slight_smile:

The version of Hero that was just released in Australia is the 106 min cut. Is that the longer or shorter version?

Hey, anyone seen Hero yet??

I scored some free tickets to see it yesterday. Not bad. Pity the cinema seats were so uncomfortable…I might have enjoyed it more…lol

Basically I loved the visual elements of it. the constant falling of objects such as water droplets, silk curtains, leaves, blood drops etc…that was cool.

The fight in the yellow leaves with the red outfits was visually stunning.

Though I started laughing when this one guy keeps getting killed or maimed like 15 times you’ll understand when you see it…

Though to me the ending was already predicted within 20min, I still was drawn into the atmosphere and story and was really sad at the end when someone is excecuted.

Ok, I need to stop talking. I’m so freakin tired.

Night everyone.

MM

ps> add your thoughts about Hero.

I saw it in the cinema when it came out here in the UK, and liked it quite a lot. The fight scenes were breathtaking. The use of colour was fabulous and it just had some of the best cinematography i’ve ever seen. However, I didn’t like the stroy much as there was bot mush depth to it. I couldn’t really “get into” the film and it seemed this film was just showing me art instead of telling me a story and keeping me hooked on it. I also found it too short (yes i saw the cut version) but apart from the poor story and lack of characterisation, it was pretty good. 8/10