Female directors

leni riefenstal and unity wiford made hitlers propaganda movies. i hate the fact that they didnt even want to admit there passion for him without strait out denyal ,but i loved those wierd looking mivies, they are used to seldomly these days.

The best female director for the moment is, no contest, Sofia Coppola. The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation were more than great… excellent… I’ve no words to express what I think about it ! I’m a girl, and I want to be a movie director (of I can), and MY reference for female director IS Sofia Coppola.

Kimberly Pierce for Boys don’t cry was pretty good too.

But I’ve think you forgot someone… Karyn Kusama for Girlfight… This movie is just like an uppercut in heart ! And it can prove everybody that a woman can make a excellent movie with action (does anybody think that box isn’t action ?)… If you haven’t see this movie, go now to watch it ! I don’t if Karyn Kusama tries to make another movie, but she should.

So there are not much female directors but some are one of the best directors (including men). Sofia Coppola is of course one of them, but I think Karyn Kusama with Girlfight is in the way to prove it too…

When I fist saw the Virgin Suicides, I made me want to become a director, I wanted to be a director before I saw it though, but Sofia Coppola’s work made me want to direct even more! Lost in translation is brilliant also!

So do I. When I saw The Virgin Suicides (and then Lost in translation), I wanted more than ever to be a director. I wanted it for a long time ago, but at this moment, it shows me that even if a lot have prejudices about women, female director can be sucessful in this job. The women have not enough possibilyties to show the all world their talent. It was certainly easier to Sofia Coppola because she is the daughter of Mr Coppola, that’s not nothing… ok. But she’s one the only female directors at the moment to be so sucessfull. What’s wrong ? If in the USA, the country which gives the more money for the cinema, women can not have the chance to enter in this job, and prove their talent with enough money to do it, what about the other countries ? I know that I’ve not much chance to be a director, because I’m in France (it’s hard to beginn in my country, when you are not the daughter or the son of a well-known person, or when you haven’t the money to make your movie alone), and because I’m a girl (I don’t know why it’s so difficult in the cinema when you are a girl, but there are not much girls… hum, I don’t know).

I dont understand either! It must be a double standard or something! I live in Australia, so it is quite hard to get into film as well. It sucks! I should move to America!

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
So do I. When I saw The Virgin Suicides (and then Lost in translation), I wanted more than ever to be a director. I wanted it for a long time ago, but at this moment, it shows me that even if a lot have prejudices about women, female director can be sucessful in this job. The women have not enough possibilyties to show the all world their talent. It was certainly easier to Sofia Coppola because she is the daughter of Mr Coppola, that’s not nothing… ok. But she’s one the only female directors at the moment to be so sucessfull. What’s wrong ? If in the USA, the country which gives the more money for the cinema, women can not have the chance to enter in this job, and prove their talent with enough money to do it, what about the other countries ? I know that I’ve not much chance to be a director, because I’m in France (it’s hard to beginn in my country, when you are not the daughter or the son of a well-known person, or when you haven’t the money to make your movie alone), and because I’m a girl (I don’t know why it’s so difficult in the cinema when you are a girl, but there are not much girls… hum, I don’t know).
[/quote]
I don’t want to hear this untrue “oppresed bullshit”. If you are female director I don’t care but some ruin stories(Drop Dead Roses could have been David Lynch doing Kevin Smith but the director fuced it up.). I actually hate Lost in translation and Scarlet Johensen,but Bill Muray was great. But Female directors are not any different.

I think sometimes it’s automatic. You automatically think of certain jobs belonging to certain sexes (i.e. fireman) it’s not that u think there’s anything wrong with say, a woman being a fire-woman, but you are just so used to seeing men doing the job. - The same goes with directors. They are more and more female directors now. A woman can be just as good at directing a film as a man, and just as bad too.

[quote=“MiaRose”]
I think sometimes it’s automatic. You automatically think of certain jobs belonging to certain sexes (i.e. fireman) it’s not that u think there’s anything wrong with say, a woman being a fire-woman, but you are just so used to seeing men doing the job. - The same goes with directors. They are more and more female directors now. A woman can be just as good at directing a film as a man, and just as bad too.
[/quote]

yeah, but women haven’t enough chance to prove if they are as good as one man and as bad as another man… :-</E>

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
yeah, but women haven’t enough chance to prove if they are as good as one man and as bad as another man… :-</E>
[/quote]
Okay,well it doesn’t matter all directors are good usually(Okay Ed Wood is a bit bad.) but if the script sucks(ie Doom Genration) the movie sucks. It helps if people like QT and Allison Anders write there on scripts. Hell I would even dissagree that with the rise of indie giants(Gregg Araiki,Qt,Kevin Smith,Penaloppe Sphears) that women are getting more airplay. As long as they do a non Pretty Woman(Yes a guy directed it.) movie they are okay in my book.

[quote=“Mr.Blonde”]
As long as they do a non Pretty Woman(Yes a guy directed it.) movie they are okay in my book.
[/quote]

If any director makes ‘Crossroads 2’ i may have to kill myself.

I will join you in that! Shudder…CROSSROADS!!!..Chokes and falls down dead

[quote=“elkie”]
I will join you in that! Shudder…CROSSROADS!!!..Chokes and falls down dead
[/quote]
hahahaha Not funny besides who would be stupid enough to watch it.

I didnt watch it! And I didnt say that!

Who wrote that post? It wasn’t me!!! ??? ??? ???

[quote=“elkie”]
I didnt watch it! And I didnt say that!

Who wrote that post? It wasn’t me!!! ??? ??? ???
[/quote]
Yes but who did shudder at something you haven’t seen. I unfortunatley watched it,I would rather be analy reped with a pool cube than watch it again. I would like to see Walter Hill"s Crossroads.

[quote=“Mr.Blonde”]
I unfortunatley watched it,I would rather be analy reped with a pool cube than watch it again. I would like to see Walter Hill"s Crossroads.
[/quote]

I’ll second that.

Webpage of available Region 2 DVDs by women directors

im beginning to like Lina Wertmüller’s stuff

Seven Beauties & Camorra especially

I Really Like Miranda July

"Me and you and everyone we know"was a great movie.

Better Than all the Unacceptable,in my opinion,films of Sofia Coppola

[quote=“Professional Widow”]
I Really Like Miranda July

"Me and you and everyone we know"was a great movie.

Better Than all the Unacceptable,in my opinion,films of Sofia Coppola

[/quote]

They both have their strong points in their own way…Sofia is definitly the better director, while July is definitly the better artist.

Ahah reminds me of a whole discussion about it. Or as we should say Tim : Sofia is the Queen and Miranda the essence. Miranda as an artist, as a philosoph of art is better than Sofia, but Sofia as a director is visually the best.

My preference goes to Sofia Coppola, just because I loved her first, sentimental value. But both are great. Can’t wait to see more by Miranda July :wink: