Female directors

does anybody else think that it sounds weird to say that? i mean i always thought of myself as open minded. but i watched this commercial for jack nicholsons most recent film that was coming out on DVD and the announcer said a film by a womans name and i thought that it couldnt be as good as a man…

this was obviously a prejudice thought and i probably shouldn’t even bee saying it, but its done. does anybody else think that a woman’s film wouldnt be as good as a man?? thought im not saying that the film was worse than a man’s film… cuz i know some guys films just suck.

I hate to admit it, but I think female directors can do certain genres better than men, and vice versa. Something’s Gotta Give is the sort of movie i’d expect a woman to direct. I feel that, somehow, action sequences and suspense are testosterone driven, and men are best at that.

But I’d like to be convinced otherwise. Does anyone know any good action or crime movies that were directed by women?

Nancy Meyers sucks. I really can’t think of any major female directors right now besides her and Sofia Coppola.

Katheryn Bigelow is alright…i enjoyed Point Break, it had some decent action and still one of the best foot chases in a film ever…

the only other ones i can think would be Sophia Coppola, Penelope Spheeris (IMDB contributor, director of Waynes World etc), and Jane Campion(The Piano).

There aren’t really enough female directors around to say such a broad statement that females are better at directing certain genres…

I was about to say Katherine Bigelow also. She directed Near Dark, one of the best freakin Vampire movies ever.

lets expand this topic to female directed movies:

i only know one something’s gotta give

Amy Heckerling directed Johnny Dangerously. I thought it was good.

Mary Harron directed one of my all time favorite movies American Psycho (2000). Its one of my favorite books also.

[quote] lets expand this topic to female directed movies:

i only know one something’s gotta give[/quote]

Lost in Translation, Sofia Coppola

I don’t think there’s any reason to assume there’s a difference. Men direct differently from women and from each other, so there’s no real way to tell.

[quote]

Lost in Translation, Sofia Coppola
[/quote]

yea you're correct. I have heard all of the hype surrounding this particular movie. But hype also followed chicago and moulin rouge and whale rider all films which i had no intention of ever seeing. was it a GOOD movie.... is it worth 2 hours and my 16 bux?

rent it first

[quote]rent it first[/quote]
Definitely. I know as many people who hated it as the ones who loved it.

nora ephron - sleepless in seattle

sharon maguire - bridget jones diary

yes, the female directors list is short

Cool. I’m the first to mention Alison Anders. Her Mi Vida Loca comes out this Tuesday. I’ve always loved this little move.

Allison Anders’ MI VIDA LOCA (her third feature) was kinda slow, but I enjoyed it. I like her second film GAS, FOOD, LODGING (w/ Brooke Adams, Ione Skye, Fairuza Balk, James Brolin), better.

Other notable Anders’ films:

GRACE OF MY HEART (w/ Illeana Douglas, Matt Dillon, John Tuturro, Brigette Fonda, Chris Isaak)

FOUR ROOMS (segment w/ Madonna, Ione Skye)

Some other Female directed films -

East Indian director, Mira Nair (one of my personal favorites):

SALAAM BOMBAY

MISSISSIPPI MASALA
(w/ Denzel Washington, Sarita Choudhury)

KAMA SUTRA : A TALE OF LOVE (w/ Sarita Choudhury)

HYSTERICAL BLINDNESS (starring Uma Thurman, Juliette Lewis, Gena Rowlands & Ben Gazarra)

MONSOON WEDDING

THE PEREZ FAMILY
(w/ Marisa Tomei, Anjelica Huston, Alfred Molina, Chazz Palminteri)

VANITY FAIR (w/ Reese Witherspoon, Gabriel Byrne)

Also of East Indian descent, Gurinder Chadha:

BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM (w/ Parminder Nagra & Keira Knightley)

she has several films in the works between (2004 - 2006):

BRIDE AND PREJUDICE

I DREAM OF JEANNIE

THE CLOSET

MY SASSY GIRL

Actress/Director, Kasi Lemmons:

EVE’S BAYOU

CAVEMAN’S VALENTINE
(both films w/ Samuel Jackson)

Actress/Director, Penny Marshall:

BIG

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN
(both with Tom Hanks)

JUMPIN JACK FLASH (w/ Whoopi Goldberg)

AWAKENINGS (w/ Robert DeNiro & Robin Williams)

RENAISSANCE MAN (w/ Danny DeVito)

THE PREACHER’S WIFE (w/ Denzel Washington & Whitney Houston)

RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS (w/ Drew Barrymore, Brittany Murphey, James Woods, Steve Zahn)

Amy Heckerling:

FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH (w/ Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Phoebe Cates and EVERYONE else that was coming up at the time)

CLUELESS (w/ Alicia Silverstone & Brittany Murphy)

LOSER (w/ Jason Biggs & Mena Suvari)

Actress/Director, Betty Thomas:

I SPY (w/ Eddie Murphy & Owen Wilson)

PRIVATE PARTS (w/ Howard Stern)

28 DAYS (w/ Sandra Bullock, Viggo Mortenson, Steve Buscemi)

THE BRADY BUNCH MOVIE (w/ Shelley Long)

DR. DOOLITTLE (w/ Eddie Murphy)

Mimi Leder:

THE PEACEMAKER (w/ George Clooney, Nicole Kidman)

DEEP IMPACT (w/ Elijah Wood, Lelee Sobieski, Tea Leoni, Morgan Freeman, Robert Duvall and many others)

PAY IT FORWARD (w/ Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt, Haley Joel Osmet)

tons of ER episodes

Kathryn Bigelow:

STRANGE DAYS (w/ Ralph Fiennes, Angela Basset)

NEAR DARK (w/ Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen)

POINT BREAK (w/ Keannu “Whoa” Reeves, Patrick “Dirty Dancing” Swayze)

BLUE STEEL (w/ Jamie Lee Curtis)

Producer, Writer, Director, Nora Ephron (I personally can’t stand most of her work):

SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

YOU’VE GOT MAIL
(both w/Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan)

MICHAEL (w/ John Travolta, William Hurt, Andie MacDowell)

BEWITCHED (coming soon w/ Nicole Kidman & Will Ferrell)

wrote the screenplays to:

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY (w/ Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan)

SILKWOOD (w/ Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell, Cher)

New Zealander, Jane Campion

(who certainly knows how to talk her actors out of their clothes) :wink::

THE PIANO (w/ Holly Hunter, Harvey Keitel and a very young Anna Paquin)

HOLY SMOKE (w/ Kate Winselet & Harvey Keitel)

IN THE CUT (w/ Meg Ryan, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Mark Ruffalo)

Anna Campion (Jane’s sister):

LOADED (w/ Thandie Newton)

Catherine Hardwicke:

THIRTEEN (w/ Holly Hunter, Evan Rachel Wood, Nikki Reed)

LORDS OF DOGTOWN (currently filming w/ Johnny Knoxville, Heath Ledger, Nikki Reed)

8)

Mimi is a fantastic director I have to say

Other female directors…

Monika Treut: Virgin Machine, Seduction: The Cruel Woman, My Father Is Coming, Female Misbehaviour

Lynne Ramsay: The Ratcatcher, Morvern Callar

and of course actress/director Ida Lupino.

There is a documentary called ‘The Silent Feminists’ and can be found on http://www.moviem.co.uk

Artist Tracey Emin has directed a film but I cannot think for the life of me what it is called.

[quote=“Clinton Morgan”]
…Artist Tracey Emin has directed a film but I cannot think for the life of me what it is called…
[/quote]

She made a movie about her life in 2002:
[i]Artist Tracey Emin is to make her big screen directorial debut with a film based on her life.

Emin, who won the Turner prize for her exhibit of an unmade bed, will recount her childhood in the seaside town of Margate, Kent.

She has teamed up with 24 Hour Party People director Michael Winterbottom to make the movie.

Emin has previously revealed that she was raped as a 13-year-old girl and the film is likely to be as candid about her personal life as her notorious art works.

These include a tent embroidered with the names of every man she has ever slept with, and a photograph of her naked in a beach hut.

Emin is putting the finishing touches to the script and is currently at the Cannes Film Festival trying to raise finance for the film.

She was approached to make it by Revolution Films, the company set up by Winterbottom and his partner Andrew Eaton.

Eaton said: "We went to Tracey with the idea and she said she had already thought of making a feature-length film.

"Like all her work, the film will deal with her own personal life. It will focus on her childhood growing up in Margate.

"All we need to do is raise the finance and then we can start casting for a young actress to play the part."[/i]

[url=http://www.egs.edu/faculty/emin/emin-emin-to-make-film-of-her-life.html]Source[/url]

And now she made a movie called: Top Spot (in theatres: 3 December)
Here is a [ur=http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film/interviews/story.jsp?story=576008l]link[/url]

My picks:

THIRTEEN (Catherine Hardwicke)

MONSTER (Patty Jenkins)

TITUS (Julie Taymor - Anthony Hopkins is absolutely awesome in that movie)

FRIDA (Julie Taymor)

ITALIAN FOR BEGINNERS (Lone Scherfig)

WILBUR WANTS TO KILL HIMSELF (Lone Scherfig)

BOYS DON´T CRY (Kimberly Pierce)

AWAKENINGS (Penny Marshall)

THE ANNIVERSARY PARTY [Jennifer Jason Leigh (with Alan Cumming)]

LITTLE MAN TATE (Jodie Foster)

PAY IT FORWARD (Mimi Leder - but I don´t like her other films)

WHALE RIDER (Niki Caro)

Sofia Coppola did good work, and Kathryn Bigelow is just great. STRANGE DAYS - one of my favourite flicks.

I enjoyed The virgin suicides by Sophia Coppola. The score from french duo “air” is pretty cool too. It’s my hangover CD. Me thinks directing runs in the family. But Lost in translation was better i think.