anybody mention Ida Lupino?

The better female directors, in my opinion:

Jane Campion

Catherine Breillat

Allison Anders

Sofia Coppola

Gillian Armstrong

Sally Potter

I think female directors are really great when they tackle confronting subjects. None of the female directors I listed above make happy romantic comedies.

The films of Breillat and Campion are often sexually explicit and it is great to have the other side of sex. Women do gender politics really well.

Amy Holden Jones…slumber party massacre is great.

i dont especially like movies from a female director. The only one that jumps out is Sofia Coppola’s Lost in Translation, mainly becuase bill murray is the shit.

[quote=“KILL BILL vol.3”]
i dont especially like movies from a female director. The only one that jumps out is Sofia Coppola’s Lost in Translation, mainly becuase bill murray is the shit.
[/quote]

That’s kind of a broad generalisation. As far as I am concerned, films by women are no different to films by men. Some men make more feminine films than some women and some women make more masculine films than some men. Gender doesn’t always dictate the film. Although I guess a lot of women tend to want to push female issues in their films in the same way that Spike Lee always wants to discuss racism and being black.

I loved Thirteen directed by Catherine Hardwicke. I wish there would be more great movies by female directors so I (being a male) can see the world through a women’s perspective.

Border Radio and beyond, or: Allison Anders, we hardly knew ye