Favourite Stand Up Comedians

Seeing as we’re all diverse in terms of nationality it would be interesting to see who is considered funny all over the world.

favourites are:

Dylan Moran (seeing him live in 2 weeks!)

Mitch Hedberg

Richard Pryor

Demetri Martin

Chris Rock

Bill Hicks

Ricky Gervais

Dylan Moran is at the top of my list for sure!

I also really like Bill Bailey and Ricky Gervais.

And Michael Smiley.

And Simon Pegg’s stand-up was really good as well.

cool, i didnt know simon pegg actually had a stand up show, i’ll have to check that out.

I’ve been wanting to start a topic like this for quite sometime to find other Billy Connolly fans, as I’m currently obsessed with him. So I’m glad someone else has done the work for me.

Billy Connolly

Ross Noble

Russell Brand

Ricky Gervais

Carl Barron

Danny Bhoy

Stephen K Amos

Chris Rock

Demetri Martin

George Carlin

David Cross

Yeah Billy Connolly has always been great, he’s been the most popular comedian here for the last 20 years or so but his stuff has kind of gotten a bit stale lately, hes still one of the greats though. I agree with Geoi on this one Dylan Moran is top of the pile.

Russell Brand is actually really funny too, his whole routine on filming “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” is priceless. MACK!

Haha yes! Every time I see Macaulay Culkin now, all I can think of is Russell Brand. Which isn’t a bad thing, coz he’s goddamn sexy.

I can’t believe I didn’t put Dylan Moran in my list, I swore I typed it … and Bill Bailey, can’t believe I forgot Bill Bailey. It all began with Black Books, and then I discovered how brilliant Dylan Moran is. My friend’s husband is English and quite like him, very dry and sarcastic. And he slurs like him too.

Don Rickles is the funniest man alive!

[quote=“cherrydarling”]Haha yes! Every time I see Macaulay Culkin now, all I can think of is Russell Brand. Which isn’t a bad thing, coz he’s goddamn sexy.

I can’t believe I didn’t put Dylan Moran in my list, I swore I typed it … and Bill Bailey, can’t believe I forgot Bill Bailey. It all began with Black Books, and then I discovered how brilliant Dylan Moran is. My friend’s husband is English and quite like him, very dry and sarcastic. And he slurs like him too.[/quote]

ha ha that mack thing has me in stitches every time i think of it.

Yeah Bill Bailey is very original with his whole musical jokes thing, wouldnt mind catching a live gig of his at some stage. Both Dylan Moran and the character Bernard Black are actually Irish hence the sarcasm, books and constant drinking. Favourite Black Books episode is the one where they drink a few bottles of really fine wine and try to brew their own to replace it…classic.

Haha agreed. That’s definately one of my faves. And I love the musical comedy thing. Hence why I also love Demetri Martin, and David O’Doherty. I looove Demetri Martin’s show, and I’m dying to go and see Taking Woodstock!

The best in the business past or present:

Patton Oswalt

Eugene Mirman

Zach Galifianakis

Norm MacDonald

Brian Posehn

George Carlin

Don Rickles

Eddie Murphy

David Cross

Maria Bamford

I love George Carlin and David Cross for their cynical views on religion.

- YouTube Best clip of George Carlin.

[quote=“cherrydarling”]I love George Carlin and David Cross for their cynical views on religion.

- YouTube Best clip of George Carlin.[/quote]

Patton Oswalt is also great for religious cynicism. Have you heard his Sky Cake bit?

Here it is:

Patton Oswalt - Sky Cake - YouTube

Haha awesome. I had never seen any of s stuff before but I’ve heard his name a million times, and liked him in United States of Tara.

“Oh sky cake, why are you so delicious?” Now I have a major craving for cake. :-</E>

[quote=“cherrydarling”]Haha awesome. I had never seen any of s stuff before but I’ve heard his name a million times, and liked him in United States of Tara.

“Oh sky cake, why are you so delicious?” Now I have a major craving for cake. :-</E>[/quote]

Cake? Really?

I have a craving for rape.

[quote=“Utivich”]Don Rickles is the funniest man alive![/quote]

just seen a few clips of don rickles and you’re right - a very funny dude.

[quote=“cherrydarling”]Haha agreed. That’s definately one of my faves. And I love the musical comedy thing. Hence why I also love Demetri Martin, and David O’Doherty. I looove Demetri Martin’s show, and I’m dying to go and see Taking Woodstock![/quote]

Demetri Martin’s shows are really the best sort of comedy, its funny but you feel sort of enlightened by the end of it. Gets my award for most intelligent stand up. I think David O Doherty is a bit hit and miss, i like some of his little keyboard tunes though.

[quote=“F.W.”]

Cake? Really?

I have a craving for rape.[/quote]

Eek! I don’t know how to respond to that. But yeah I think cake will be sufficient for me.

[quote=“cherrydarling”][quote=“F.W.”]

Cake? Really?

I have a craving for rape.[/quote]

Eek! I don’t know how to respond to that. But yeah I think cake will be sufficient for me.[/quote]

I can see how that might freak you out.

Bill Hicks

Louis CK

Lenny Bruce

George Carlin

Andy Kaufman (although, it is debatable whether or not he was a comedian)

Doug Stanhope

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]cool, i didnt know simon pegg actually had a stand up show, i’ll have to check that out.[/quote]

Simon started as a stand-up comic. I think he did it for about 6 years. He’s so brilliant.