Do you want Grindhouse to be a cult hit, or a box office success?

Seriously, that’s my question. Which is better for Grindhouse? A cult hit or box-office success? It depends on your answer. Please give an answer and an honest reason why. No criticism and no trolling please.

cult classic it makes the viewer well me feel like i own it more within me because its undescovered and not too many people have seen it.

plus it gets me angry knowing that most of the people who go to see it and have never even heard of an exploitation movie.

Box office, so we can get more of kinds of these movies.

A film will develop a cult based on whether it deserves it or not. Not necessarily the same goes for whether it’s a commercial hit.

It doesn’t boil down to that. Cult hits are not always box office failures. People misuse the word “cult” all too often. When really it means a film that has a big cult following. Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of the biggest examples. Fight Club has become one. Cult films aren’t really films that no one sees. So in answer to your question, I would say, “both”.

Hi,

I’m a new member! I wanted Grindhouse to be a box office success partly because I was hoping Tarantino and Rodriguez would start a new trend of showing two features for the price of one. Sure it’s been done before but not recently.

I’m very upset that the movies will be split and I’m pissed that when the films come out on video, I’ll have to buy two separate DVD’s rather than include both films in one box set. It sucks.

I completely agree with this statement:

Cult films aren’t really films that no one sees. So in answer to your question, I would say, “both”.

let me refrase i would like it to be an obscure cult movie.

It will after the initial fan buzz dies down. People (except for the die hard fans) will forget about Grindhouse then in about 3-5 years, it’ll become popular again. Somethin that only the cool kids have seen.

As I recall that’s what happened to Fight Club. It didn’t do well at the box office when fat head celebs like Rosie O’Donnel complained it was too violent and dark. Now it’s a cult classic (at least to me!)

[quote=“Jjp”]
let me refrase i would like it to be an obscure cult movie.
[/quote]

[quote=“Shock Corridor”]
Hi,

I’m a new member! I wanted Grindhouse to be a box office success partly because I was hoping Tarantino and Rodriguez would start a new trend of showing two features for the price of one. Sure it’s been done before but not recently.

I’m very upset that the movies will be split and I’m pissed that when the films come out on video, I’ll have to buy two separate DVD’s rather than include both films in one box set. It sucks.
[/quote]Maybe they’ll release a box-set with both movies, for the price of two.

[quote=“Shock Corridor”]
It will after the initial fan buzz dies down. People (except for the die hard fans) will forget about Grindhouse then in about 3-5 years, it’ll become popular again. Somethin that only the cool kids have seen.

As I recall that’s what happened to Fight Club. It didn’t do well at the box office when fat head celebs like Rosie O’Donnel complained it was too violent and dark. Now it’s a cult classic (at least to me!)

[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. So it didn’t rock the box office. It will still make money on DVD sales etc. But I imagine that in a few years, they’ll look back and see what a great movie it was and appreciate Grindhouse for it’s true value. I’d rather have it the way it is, than some flash in the pan block buster. This film has staying power and will be talked about for a long time.

[quote=“Jjp”]
plus it gets me angry knowing that most of the people who go to see it and have never even heard of an exploitation movie.
[/quote]
Hahaha yeah

It’s like the same thing with bands and movies

The Nightmare Before Christmas, a cult classic, until Hot Topic exploited it and now every goth/emo/hxc kid thinks its the best thing ever, all for profitt.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Maybe they’ll release a box-set with both movies, for the price of two.
[/quote]

No doubt. What I suspect will happen is: 1st each film will be released separately (I estimate each movie will cost between $20- $27) without substantial special features. Things like ass kissing interviews where everyone blathers on and on about how amazing and brilliant everyone else is but especially the directors. There will be crappy previews of about seven other films that will probably suck. These films will most likely be made by directors we have never heard of. The previews will be of straight to video movies that will never make it into theaters. Also, they will have absolutely nothing to do with exploitation films. If we’re lucky Quentin might do an interview but he’ll probably just rehash the plot of Death Proof and maybe throw some film titles/ directors out there that inspired him.

2nd About six months to a year after everyone has bought each film, a “Special Edition” of each movie will be re-released for about $15 more. On the special re- released edition we might get about 10 minutes of additional interviews that don’t provide the viewer with any real insight into the film making process. We’ll also get more previews of seven or eight new movies that will also most likely suck.

3rd About six months to a year after all of the die hard fans purchase the re-released Grindhouse, a re-re released “Limited Edition” Grindhouse box set that costs an additional $50 will be made available to the public. In this set we will get the full version of each film, the fake previews (digitally re-mastered), the full version of each ass kissing interview, the completed script that can be watched alongside each film, and an extended interview with Tarantino explaining who all of the chicks are in the end credits of Death Proof. Rodriguez will share his latest recipe (the one he used to feed all of the cast and crew) and he’ll explain how CGI and wires enabled him to send Cherry flying through the air. This explanation by Rodriguez will lead into a lengthy discussion on the superiority of digital film over celluloid.

Finally…

Six months later after I buy the re-re released Limited Edition Grindhouse…

For just $100 more … behold…

THE PLATINUM GOLD COMPLETELY UNCUT SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION OF GRINDHOUSE will be available for a limited time on Amazon, Best Buy, The Tarantino Archives or Walmart!

This miraculous box set will be in the shape of a zombie’s head or Quentin Tarantino’s head, your choice. This box set also includes four disks of the same old special edition crap rehashed for your viewing pleasure! But that’s not all! You’ll also get a free magazine sized poster, a deck of playing cards featuring all of your favorite Grindhouse characters, and a Robert Rodriguez cook book!

BUY IT NOW! :o

I would like to add one last thing to my rant. I sincerely hope the preview for Blades of Glory doesn’t make it onto the Grindhouse DVD’s. I couldn’t think of a bigger slap in the face or boot to the balls insult!

Seeing as it’s a part Rodriguez project, I’ll just get the Special Edition, uncut, unrated, extended DVD of Grindhouse, which will most probably be released in the USA soon. I’ll pay large Amazon shipping to get it to Australia and then realise a couple of months later that the same DVD is out in Australia now. Well, that’s what happened with Sin City.

[quote=“Angel”]
Seeing as it’s a part Rodriguez project, I’ll just get the Special Edition, uncut, unrated, extended DVD of Grindhouse, which will most probably be released in the USA soon. I’ll pay large Amazon shipping to get it to Australia and then release a couple of months later that the same DVD is out in Australia now. Well, that’s what happened with Sin City.
[/quote]

Man that sucks! I know production studios release films a million times to jack up the price and make more money but why can’t they release it one time with everything the fans could possibly want?! Then, ten years down theline, release it again with new interviews. A kind of retrospective look back at the good ol’ days. Also, it could include a discussion of how Grindhouse ultimately changed cinema forever!

But nooo, thanks to freaken Lord of the Rings now every single movie has to have a 20th special edition re-re-re release in a five year time frame. And most of us dumb suckas buy into to it because we’re starved for the smallest nugget of insight.

I feel violated.

[quote=“Shock Corridor”]
I would like to add one last thing to my rant. I sincerely hope the preview for Blades of Glory doesn’t make it onto the Grindhouse DVD’s. I couldn’t think of a bigger slap in the face or boot to the balls insult!
[/quote]

Why would it? Is Blades of Glory even a Weinstein Company film?

Haha, that was one of the most random observations ever

[quote=“Stuntman Mike B”]
Why would it? Is Blades of Glory even a Weinstein Company film?
[/quote]

No, your right! Blades of Glory is a Paramount Picture, I think.