Do you want Grindhouse to be a cult hit, or a box office success?

I wanted it to be successful so that I could have more of those kickass experiences of “2 movies for the price of 1” again. But I see the other alternative actually happening.

Planet Terror won’t be a cult hit.

Death Proof won’t be a cult hit.

The original, theatrical U.S. version of Grindhouse will be a cult hit.

Think about it. Due to the split-up, much of the world (Including 90% of America) will only know this by it’s new title(s), “Planet Terror” & “Death Proof”. As the seperate movies will be making their rounds across the world in theaters, seperate bare-bones DVDs, and on television showings, the newbie viewers will keep on being confronted by guys like us (i.e, the small “cult following”) who will keep on telling them that these 2 movies (Along with those outrageous trailers) were once connected together and it was called “Grindhouse”. Whether or not they liked the seperate movies, there will be a curiosity among these new viewers to see how it was all originally done. By this time, the mega-edition DVD will have likely come out (Assuming that it will include the U.S. theatrical cut) and I expect that the new life will start here.

Ummm…isn’t it too late for Grindhouse to be a box office success? -We can only ‘hope’ for it to do well on DVD. Regardless, I’m already sold.

I hope they release the theatrical cut as a boxset, sometime. As long as I don’t have to wait5 years for it.

[quote=“Jack Rabbit Slim”]
I hope they release the theatrical cut as a boxset, sometime. As long as I don’t have to wait5 years for it.
[/quote]

yeaa well rodriguez did release that sin city boxset pretty fast.

That’s what I’m hoping for Grindhouse.

yeaa same here.

Russel on imdb:

Kurt Russell has warned U.S. cinemagoers they will regret not savoring the recent Grindhouse movie because there will never be a cinema experience like it again. The double bill helmed by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez aimed to replicate the grindhouse experience of the 1970s by showing fake trailers between the two movies - but the films will be released separately for its European theatrical release after a poor showing at the U.S. box office earlier this year. And Russell, who starred in Tarantino’s installment Death Proof, is saddened by the audience’s response. Speaking at Cannes Film Festival, he says, “There will be no movies made in the next five years like Planet Terror and Death Proof. These two movies are going to go off with a life of their own, but my prediction is that 20 years from now, you’ll want the Grindhouse experience. You won’t want them separately. For the full effect, the other experience is something bizarre that I’ve never experienced before and I like the short version.”

[quote=“Sebastian”]
Russel on imdb:

Kurt Russell has warned U.S. cinemagoers they will regret not savoring the recent Grindhouse movie because there will never be a cinema experience like it again. The double bill helmed by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez aimed to replicate the grindhouse experience of the 1970s by showing fake trailers between the two movies - but the films will be released separately for its European theatrical release after a poor showing at the U.S. box office earlier this year. And Russell, who starred in Tarantino’s installment Death Proof, is saddened by the audience’s response. Speaking at Cannes Film Festival, he says, “There will be no movies made in the next five years like Planet Terror and Death Proof. These two movies are going to go off with a life of their own, but my prediction is that 20 years from now, you’ll want the Grindhouse experience. You won’t want them separately. For the full effect, the other experience is something bizarre that I’ve never experienced before and I like the short version.”
[/quote]

he’s right.

I hope the best for QT and RR in every aspect.

As for what Kurt said, he is soooooo right on the money. I hope in 10 years the demand will be so high that we will see a re-release in theaters. I really think that once this baby is turned loose on DVD it will become the stuff of legend. As younger folks are exposed to this over the years they will wonder what the fuck was wrong with the idiots of 2007, as in why the hell did they not eat this shit up! Students will write term papers on the subject. There will be talk shows about it. documentaries will be made and books will be written about the dip shits who didnt go see it. Hopefully both directors will let these films float around the country for late night movie fests and I hope to God it will replace the god damn Rocky Horror piece of shit Show. I do think it will have the same type of following as Rocky Horror though. Hopefully no one will throw hamburger meat. Perhaps will throw Bar B que instead.

Maybe your right, at least I think a lot of people will see it on DVD, it’s easier to get your friends to watch something you like alot on DVD than in the cinema. And once you get people watching, they won’t stop…

yea like most QT films this should do well on video. And does anyone remember how big desperado got on video and showing on tv stations like HBO most people i know dident hear about the movie until it was on tv or video.

I love how people are not going to see this. It will be a hit on dvd for sure.

Fuck the ratings, the boxoffice and all that. Its back to movielovers.