Death Proof Movie/Pop Culture Connections

First movie shot reference:

Binocular shot: FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE!!

Remember when Mortimer is looking through his binoculars and Blondie is looking with his and they both catch each others eye and Blondie puts his down, nods his head and grins?..

Aha, interesting observation! 8)

…I’ll be damned…

Don’t think anybody posted this, but Julia Ladd wears a “Faster Pussycat” shirt in the movie.

Here’s a movie pic:

<LINK_TEXT text=“Iesb.net … ey=5&hit=1”>Iesb.net</LINK_TEXT>

And here’s the Faster Pussycat cover -

8)

I think the girls were definitely inspired by Faster Pussycat. All of those kind of tough multi-racial babe exploitation movies were an influence Im sure.

Yeah death proof is a badass chick flick!

[quote=“Scarface”]
Don’t think anybody posted this, but Julia Ladd wears a “Faster Pussycat” shirt in the movie.

Here’s a movie pic:

<LINK_TEXT text=“Iesb.net … ey=5&hit=1”>Iesb.net</LINK_TEXT>

And here’s the Faster Pussycat cover -

8)
[/quote]

Hey all, prior lurker, now noob poster here.

There is also a second reference with that shirt. It is a shirt from the great Alamo Drafthouse theater in Austin. This is the theater that has hosted the QT Fests and “Weird Wednesday” free midgnight showing (both of which show alot of Grindhouse-type films). I saw QT host (with intros) a Rollerderby fundrasier at the Alamo (which showed Kansas City Bomber and Unholy Roller) as well as his showing (with intro) of the Caanes version of Kill Bill (1 and 2 together, with the “colorized” House of Blue Leaves showdown, etc…). All of these showings had great 70s trailers before the films. This will be where I see Grindhouse.

Here is a link to their store (Mondo tees) with this shirt:

<LINK_TEXT text=“Mondo … rodID=2216”>Mondo</LINK_TEXT>

I have a version of this shirt with Sonny Chiba on it (the irony of which did not occur to me when I chose my screen name) . I think it is cool that he gives them props in the film.

I love Trash films but Faster Pussycat was just bad. no fun at all. i don’t get what’s so cool about this movie.

I didnt really like it either but I can see why people are fans of the movie.

Edit:Am I the only one who loves Scarface’s Avatar? ^-^

This thread is awesome. I’m using it to load up my netflix que. Just to throw one out there, there’s a huge visual reference to Reservoir Dogs in the beginning of the 2nd part of Death Proof. Not gonna spoil it but you’ll see it. And it’s done better, imo.

But I’m sure the shot in ResDogs was copied from some other film.

The movie references is one thing but the shots that he copies are that much cooler, like the Stuntman Mike with the binoculars one.

New Kill Bill reference: Lee is wearing a yellow and black cheerleaders outfit with VIPERS on the front. :wink:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.rottentomatoes.com/features/ … odayonrt=1”>http://www.rottentomatoes.com/features/special/2007/grindhouse/?todayonrt=1</LINK_TEXT>

More car-movie enthusiasm from film-reviewer, Kim Morgan (Probably the only gal out there who loves the kind of movies WE love)

MSN

She also saw Grindhouse in L.A. and will put up a review soon.

LOL @ “The Vanishing Point”. :slight_smile:

Cool article. Good list of movies.

I’d add: Cannonball, Death Race 2000, Grand Prix, The Last American Hero, The Gumball Rally, The Road Warrior…

More connections:

Big Trouble in Little China/John Wayne: Kurt played John Wayne via Jack Burton in it. In Death Proof, Stuntman Mike uses a John Wayne accent when hes talking to Arlene about his little book.

• Jack Burtons Asian themed t shirt is on the wall in Huck’s Bar.

• The brutal spaghetti western beating at the end is similar to the ones in Fistful of Dollars/For A Few Dollars More.

• The Dodge Challenger is of course a reference to Vanishing Point.

- The Robert Frost poem “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy evening” recited in the film which is used as a signal to get Arlene to do her lap dance was first used in the Charles Bronson film Telefon (1977) as an signal to activate sleeper agents. As everyone knows QT is a huge Bronson fan.

Stuntman Mike wears a patch on his left shoulder that says “Overbore.” And with Kurt Russell’s 80’s film “Overboard,” could this be a coincidence?

I put this idea under another topic but will restate here since I just saw the Russ Meyer info above…

“Also, I did notice that Tarantino got to do his foot thing ALOT in this one. Good for him. Perhaps we can consider another influence / reference of the film as Russ Meyer…but in Tarantino’s world, instead of titties, its toes.”

You know how QT should have given the perfect tribute to Russ Meyer? Showing Rosario’s titties for no reason at all.

I concurr.