Death Proof Movie/Pop Culture Connections

Stuntman Mike’s beating at the end is a double reference. as stated earlier it references spaghetti westerns but also the Bride’s own SW inspired beating in Kill Bill.

Mike apologizing to the girls ‘I was just playin’ with you’ followed by Kim’s retort ‘Well i’m not playin’ with YOU’ seems to be a reference to the scene in Jackie Brown where Jackie turns the tables on Ordell in her apartment.

I recently bought and watched Sam Peckinpah’s “Convoy”. The waitresses uniforms at the diner “Rubber Duck” and co. stop at look awfully similar to the cheerleader uniform Mary Elizabeth Winstead (I believe) wears in DP IMHO.

A few days ago, I watched Stripes which has a scene in the early going where Bill Murray (As a cab driver) almost kills his passenger with his reckless driving. Then I thought, “Wait a minute. Isn’t there a movie where a cab driver does kill his passenger with the car”?

Sure enough, it happens in the blaxploitation classic, J.D.'s Revenge! According to Badasssmovieman, QT lights up whenever somebody mentions this movie. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he took a few tips when Glynn Turman (Possessed by J.D. Walker) twists and turns his cab at high speeds to smash his poor ol’ lady-victim up. I don’t remember if she dies (Gotta re-watch it soon) but I remember J.D. takes joy in pushing her out of the car after he’s had his fun and leaves her to die.

Definitely gotta be an influence on Stuntman Mike doing that to Pam. Good one!

i think theres a nod to his buddy adam sandler in death proof. im pretty sure the redneck that the girls borrow the vanishing point car from is one of sandler’s regulars - he pretty much plays the same character in ‘waterboy’ except he doesnt say much, just does that retarded laugh

Thats Jasper, played by Jonathan Loughran who was in Kill Bill Vol 1 too. He played The Trucker who pays Buck to bang The Bride. He did the same evil laugh in it.

I actually thought Jasper looked more like Tommy Plympton in Kill Bill than the trucker!

I thought he was Bruce Willis at first. He looks like him at a quick glance.

When Pam says “I rather die than give Julia Lucai my lunch money” - it is very similar to the way Elle Driver mentions “And you will be standing at the final resting place of Beatrix Kiddo” both scenes end with a fast edit and similar feeling/tone into another scene.

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Thats Jasper, played by Jonathan Loughran who was in Kill Bill Vol 1 too. He played The Trucker who pays Buck to bang The Bride. He did the same evil laugh in it.
[/quote]

yeah i just looked at imdb, its the same guy, it says there: ‘He’s Adam Sandler’s personal assistant on most of Sandler’s movies’. i really didnt notice when i watched kill bill! watch the waterboy again though, its pretty much the same character, definitely the same fucked up laugh

Is it just me or does a part of bar scene resemble a scene in My Darling Clementine? The part when Mike tosses the keys towards Pam and says, “Fair lady, your chariot…” The way Mike is leaning looks like the same pose Doc Holliday is in when a gun is slid across the bar. Both scenes look very simliar.

Last night I watched GREMLINS. I think I’ve caught the whole Jungle Julia billboard thing. In Joe Dante’s movie there is in the beginning a billboard with the local radio-dj dressed like Indiana Jones.

i dun know but i gotta check the car out.

The only one I remember being mentioned in the special thanks is Richard C. Sarafian, director of (Vanishing Point) Anybody remember the other ones?

[quote=“Bad Max”]
The only one I remember being mentioned in the special thanks is Richard C. Sarafian, director of (Vanishing Point) Anybody remember the other ones?
[/quote]

was the special thanks during the credits?

End credits

Brian De Palma

Dario Argento

Mickey Rourke

Sam Peckinpah

Allison Anders

That is all that I can remember right now

there all great Dario argento is really good too up there with fulci in my opinion.

He thanked Mickey Rourke? How nice of him ;D

I bet he did that just to clear up any rumors of them not being friends. Its cool.