Crazy Film Tastes

Oh my god, this is hilarious.

The wonderful thing about film (and pretty much all art) is that it’s all subjective. The quality of art doesn’t really relate to the world of facts. If you’re arguing on the merits of a film and you both defend your arguments intelligently, both of you are right and neither of you is wrong. That’s the whole fun of debating movies. No need to call anybody an idiot here.

I also like Death Proof more than Godfather. I’d probably give Godfather the same 7/10 rating as Crazy Kenneth and DP at least a 9/10. Citizen Kane? I actually haven’t seen it :wink:

I’m just being honest. I don’t want to stand out, impress anybody or be a rebel.

edit: I did not create this topic, nor do i approve it it’s title. :wink:

[quote=“Jack Wolfgang”]
Oh my god, this is hilarious.

The wonderful thing about film (and pretty much all art) is that it’s all subjective. The quality of art doesn’t really relate to the world of facts. If you’re arguing on the merits of a film and you both defend your arguments intelligently, both of you are right and neither of you is wrong. That’s the whole fun of debating movies. No need to call anybody an idiot here.

I also like Death Proof more than Godfather. I’d probably give Godfather the same 7/10 rating as Crazy Kenneth and DP at least a 9/10. Citizen Kane? I actually haven’t seen it :wink:
[/quote]

Sorry, Im just astounded by the whole “I like Death Proof more than The Godfather” statement. It makes me question peoples thought processes, how they look at films. Its not like The Godfather isnt a hugely loved film by many people. It has nothing to do with the lists its on. Its just a superb film. While I dont feel like Death Proof comes anywhere near it in terms of how good it is in all areas including rewatchability.

I look at that statement as a serious thing. Not as a joke. Thats why it bothers me alot.

I’ll bet the majority of people on this board (just for example) will not have The Godfather or Citizen Kane #1 on their Top lists.

Does that mean that whatever they have as #1 they believe to be better than every other movie ever made?

I haven’t seen Citizen Kane either and I have no desire to, because I know I would be bored out of my mind.

I lost alot of respect for some of you guys today. The stuff you come out with is sad to me.

I mean, why would this bother me? Its because people are so ignorant that they just dont have any idea what theyre saying.

It also ruins how I take what people say in conversation. I dont even trust or believe anything people say when they make statements about movies like this. It ruins your credibility with me personally. Im sure you dont care, Im just saying, thats where I stand. I feel like: "This is who I’m spending time with talking about movies?"

It sucks man. It really does.

Ive found alot of people who claim theyre into movies have no appreciation for film history and thats one of the things that bothers me the most about being on web film boards. Its too bad really.

Pete, I see what you’re saying; but don’t take things so seriously man. If everybody was of the same opinion, there would be no discussion to begin with. The forum would look something like this -

“The Godfather is the best movie ever!”

“I agree!”

“Great!”

“So we both agree!”

“Yes!”

“Awesome!”

;D

And also, there is a way and a way of saying things. Saying I enjoy watching Death Proof more than The Godfather is one thing. I don’t agree with it, but I can accept it. Saying The Godfather sucks is something different altogether. The first is based on a subjective opinion dependant on one’s own personal enjoyment. The second is just a retarded statement clearly exposing a total lack of film knowledge.

Its not about everyone having to agree with me. I dont feel like everyone has to say they love a movie as much as me for things to be cool.

If you read over this topic, you can see why I’m annoyed and dissapointed by certain peoples comments.

Its really not worth getting upset about. I just get surprised by things people say sometimes. I think that everyone in here shares my opinions on classic movies and thats obviously not the case.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Sorry, Im just astounded by the whole “I like Death Proof more than The Godfather” statement. It makes me question peoples thought processes, how they look at films. Its not like The Godfather isnt a hugely loved film by many people. It has nothing to do with the lists its on. Its just a superb film. While I dont feel like Death Proof comes anywhere near it in terms of how good it is in all areas including rewatchability.

I look at that statement as a serious thing. Not as a joke. Thats why it bothers me alot.

[/quote]

I like Death Proof more than the Godfather movies, too. Every Italian I’ve ever known, thinks the Godfather is an over-the-top comedy with barely a shred of reality to it. Seems more like a flick about Julius Caesar, than gangsters.

That was a pretty ridiculous post. Anyways, you guys can like Death Proof more than The Godfather. The Godfather is still better as a film. How the hell can you put the chicks in Death Proof up against Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, James Caan, Al Lettieri…

Death Proof aint even in the same league as The Godfather, damn it aint even the same sport. Id tell QT that to his face too.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Its not about everyone having to agree with me.
[/quote]

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I think that everyone in here shares my opinions on classic movies and thats obviously not the case.
[/quote]

Who's ridiculous Mr. Swope? I think the only one who agrees with your opinions....is you. And anyone who doesn't agree, gets a tongue-lashing, followed by a complete dismissal of the other person's opinion. While you frantically re-edit your posts, so that it seems everyone is misquoting you(or to cover up your obvious limited knowledge of the discussion at hand). You know, like you did in the Hicksploitation thread. Which you turned into your own private opinion-fest. I counted over six times(after I left the discussion for good) that you told anyone wasting their time talking to you, that they were wrong. And totally ignored any reasonable commentary, by continually posting kindergarten "I'm right, shut up!" responses. Or claiming anyone with a differing opinion was off-topic.

Tell me, is this the "amiable" film discussion you have to offer at your forum? If so, I'll pass.

Putney, this is the stupidest thing ever.

People watch movies for different reasons. Some to be entertained, some to be enlightened, some to be scared, etc. Therefore they like movies that gear to these tastes, thus peoples tastes and thus their favorite movies will be different.

NOW, some people may say their favorite movie is Groundhog Day, because they love to watch it over and over again and still enjoy it a lot. Now, that DOES NOT MEAN that they think that Groundhog Day is the best film ever because it is groundbreaking, or technically well done, or with the best acting, or that it’s better then the Godfather or Lawrence of Arabia or whatever, it just means that they enjoy Groundhog Day more. It’s not a commentary so much on the actual film as it is their enjoyment of it.

Now, please don’t lash out at me if you don’t understand what I’m saying. Please prove to these people that you’re a bit more mature then this.

There are parts I like in The Godfather, but overall its not one of my favorites. It’s not that I dislike The Godfather I just would rather watch Scarface. As far as deciding which one is better between Death Proof or Godfather, I would have to say Godfather.

Im not gonna continue this. I was astounded to hear someone say “I like Death Proof more than The Godfather”. Thats all. If you guys think Im an asshole or rude to be surprised to hear film fans say things like that, I cant really do much about it.

[quote=“Dstryed_Btch”]

Who’s ridiculous Mr. Swope? I think the only one who agrees with your opinions…is you. And anyone who doesn’t agree, gets a tongue-lashing, followed by a complete dismissal of the other person’s opinion. While you frantically re-edit your posts, so that it seems everyone is misquoting you(or to cover up your obvious limited knowledge of the discussion at hand). You know, like you did in the Hicksploitation thread. Which you turned into your own private opinion-fest. I counted over six times(after I left the discussion for good) that you told anyone wasting their time talking to you, that they were wrong. And totally ignored any reasonable commentary, by continually posting kindergarten “I’m right, shut up!” responses. Or claiming anyone with a differing opinion was off-topic.

Tell me, is this the “amiable” film discussion you have to offer at your forum? If so, I’ll pass.
[/quote]

Really? Good. Do you think I even give a shit what you think in the first place? No. Limited knowledge? I gave proof of what I was talking about. And you know it. All you did was ramble on like a psycho, which it sounds like you are. So go fuck yourself ya instigating troll cunt.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Really? Good. Do you think I even give a shit what you think in the first place? No. Limited knowledge? I gave proof of what I was talking about. And you know it. All you did was ramble on like a psycho, which it sounds like you are. So go fuck yourself ya instigating troll cunt.

[/quote]

That was un-called for Pete. You’re only proving his point.

Here’s the thing, I respect other people’s film tastes even if I don’t agree with them. The majority of my friends here at home aren’t into cinema the way we are. Just yesterday whilst smoking shisha, my brother, a few friends and I were on the subject of films. One of them said they wanted to go see You Don’t Mess with the Zohan. Personally, just thinking about that film’s concept makes me cringe. I will never in my lifetime watch that shit, I just know I’m going to hate it. I simply told him this, but not in so many words. It happens a lot, my friends watch the stupidest shit but that’s what they enjoy and that’s what they like. This very friend hated The Departed when I think it’s one of the greatest films in the past 5 years. But I respect his opinion - to each his own. If there’s one thing we can’t do, it’s tell people what films they should like. That to me is one of the dumbest fucking things and surely highlights an insecurity. If one can’t accept that someone else has different film tastes, there’s clearly a problem there.

Someone will genuinely like Death Proof over The Godfather or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles over The Good the Bad and the Ugly. We don’t have to agree with them, but the least we can do is respect that. Film discussions are some of the best discussions you can have. The reason is because so many people have such a diverse taste, and each person has their preference and their own reasons for liking or disliking something. I have never in my life had a problem with telling somebody what I like/dislike and why I like/dislike it. It’s when some idiot says something like “The Departed is shit” and then not be able to tell me why that boils my blood. I had this very argument with someone at uni. I’ll respect you and your opinion if you can tell me why you like or dislike something. You have to back up your arguments, otherwise your words mean shit all.

Pete, you said how you find it astounding when someone says they prefer Death Proof to The Godfather. I myself have problems when some says they think Kill Bill is “ok”. But I get over it, it’s their opinion, they have a right to it. Who are we to tell them what to like? It’s that sort of attitude that gives film buffs a bad name.

Pete, this is a forum where you talk about movies. Take a step back and look at how ridiculous, childish, pathetic and fucking stupid you come across.

You DO care what people think. If not, you wouldn’t be on this thread, shouting the odds. Chill the fuck out and grow up.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Go go fuck yourself ya instigating troll cunt.
[/quote]

With that comment, you might as well burn every single bridge you have in here. What a sad individual.

@Ify: Insecurity is the keyword I think.

Why must the Internet always bring out people like you Pete? For a while I thought your ass was beautiful. If I were the admin, I’d give you a warning for that remark towards Yasmin (Edit: whoops, I meant DB), which was totally uncalled for.

Ify: Youre right man, Im insecure. Thats why I get annoyed by things people say and I want to know where theyre coming from.

Is this Yasmin or Dstryd Btch? Drstyd Bitch: Im not apologizing to her/him whatever it is. I really dont like this person from the way they express themselves on this forum. I think DB is offensive to everyone.

Yasmin: Burning bridges wasnt what I was trying to do. It seems like you have some big interest in this discussion. Why dont you just mind your own business? I wasnt talking to you was I?

I apologize to everyone else. Sorry guys if I offended you all. This wasnt supposed to be directed at everyone here. I was actually talking to Kenneth originally. And I wasnt going to continue arguing with him anyway, but then people had to start butting in and spouting off. Which made this another Me Vs Everyone else type thing.

I just get really annoyed by things people say in here sometimes. This whole “Death Proof Vs The Godfather” thing is ridiculous to me. I wish I never even commented on it now. It def wasnt worth this big blow up.

From now on, I’ll really try not to even bother questioning anyones statements, no matter how crazy I think they are. Thats really where this started.

So Im wrong on this. People like Kenneth can like Death Proof more than The Godfather.

“everybody be cool! you, be cool”

(i can’t wait till the next version of this forum software is ready, with a moderator center, a warning system and all that jazz…)

For the record: It wasny my intention to insult anyone here. But people jump on the bandwagon and it just escalates the emotions.

Kenneth: Sorry man, I really didnt want to have this happen. It was between us, not anyone else. I went too far with my personal opinions.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
For the record: It wasny my intention to insult anyone here. But people jump on the bandwagon and it just escalates the emotions.[/quote]

i’ll spare you my comments now, as you’ve self-analyzed this already. maybe everyone involved in this should read through this thread again and then make sure next time think before posting.