Asian Cinema Ticker

We already have a thread for Yokai War…

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
We already have a thread for Yokai War…
[/quote]
Yeah, but not for Sunekosuri. ;D Honestly, I didn’t want my request getting lost in general movie-chatter. I really want one.

okay. I’ll let you know if I find one

Sounds great but its going to suck thanks to hollywood censors. No way will they let a film go by with a hundred people mowed down because they were in the way. I hope they skip the bonding parts(rediculous shot scene) and get straight to the action.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
JOHNNIE TO DIRECTS CHOW YUN-FAT IN HARD BOILED REMAKE

A sharp-eyed reader forwarded me the link to a story in Apple Daily, Hong Kong’s premiere tabloid-style newspaper (think the New York Post in Chinese) that claims Johnnie To will be directing Chow Yun-fat in the Hollywood remake of John Woo’s HARD BOILED.

Apparently, the remake rights have been purchased by a US company who signed Chow on to repeat his performance. They then tried to get John Woo on board to direct, but Woo declined saying that he didn’t want to remake his own movie. Chow then recommended that they contact Johnnie To who agreed to direct.

Although this is still at the “rumor” stage, apparently both To and Chow confirmed the story to Apple Daily with To saying that the story would be different from the original but that it would still be called HARD-BOILED. An American actor will play the Tony Leung Chiu-wai role. Production will begin in May 2007.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.kaijushakedown.com/2006/03/j … _dire.html”>Kaiju Shakedown: JOHNNIE TO DIRECTS CHOW YUN-FAT IN HARD BOILED REMAKE</LINK_TEXT>

What a surprise…
[/quote]

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/

[b]
Johnny To Denies Rumor of Working with Chow Yun-Fat (MonkeyPeaches Exclusive) March 15, 2006
[/b]

Hong Kong's Apple Daily yesterday reported that director Johnny To would work with Chow Yun-Fat in a Hollywood remake of John Woo classic Hard Boiled. However, according to today's edition of The Hong Kong Sun, this was [b]simply not true[/b]. According to the newspaper, ever since Johnny To made Fulltime Killer, many foreign producers had talked to him with various projects and an Hard Boiled remake had been one of them. [b]Johnny To said he would like to work with Chow Yun-Fat but they had yet found the right one[/b]. (Thanks to Maria Leung for the Apple Daily story.)

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
Sounds great but its going to suck thanks to hollywood censors. No way will they let a film go by with a hundred people mowed down because they were in the way. I hope they skip the bonding parts(rediculous shot scene) and get straight to the action.
[/quote]

Yeah, that is why John Woo had so much trouble when he came to Hollywood. Restrictions on how many bullets are shot and how many people are shot, that is just ridiculous…

A banned television commercial in USA. Just remembered it when you mentioned censorship in the US. It is a pretty tame ad…

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech … box-360-ad”>http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/banned-xbox-360-ad</LINK_TEXT>

[quote=“Takabe”]
I think Woo should just make the remake himself.

Oh wait, nevermind. HOLLYWOOD REMAKE = This is going to suck my balls.
[/quote]

Fuck remakes!

[quote=“Thousand Eyes”]
Fuck remakes!
[/quote]

More specific comments than just “Fuck remakes!” would be appreciated…

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
More specific comments than just “Fuck remakes!” would be appreciated…
[/quote]

Im getting pritty tired of hearing that just about every successful foreign film is being remade in some form ( usually by Hollywood ) i mean is it due to a lack of ideas? Hell no… its money! Ive never liked the idea of remaking a film the only conceivable real reason why a film would be remade is to make money. Or no its not just with Hollywood remaking foreign films its the hole way film franchises come about and are dealt with. For example nowadays if it can be helped they don’t do films and then later do sequels ( nowadays they dig up the grave for sequels because if apparently they have to be a “big” sequel to be watched ) what they do is they make one new film see if its successful then immediately plan a trilogy to make sure they make as much money as possible. And of course its obvious why making a remake would be profitable, they already know the films successful so they buy the rights which i imagine its still pritty cheap and safe to do in comparison with turning an untested Hollywood idea in to a film… i mean why does everything always have to be about money… cant it ever be about the integrity of the films… oh and sorry for the slack remark… hell the arguments pretty slack to… ha ha ahh nevermind im just trying to express my feelings… ahh ;D ( sweat )

my friend just brought up that Takashi Miike did a cameo in Hostel. i didn’t even notice this.

I know Miike’s face like the back of my hand. I picked it up in an instant. But I didn’t even know he was going to be in it. It really surprised me when I saw him.

i’ve only seen him as a blonde thus far, i didn’t notice it at all and i got a good look at the character. maybe the second time i see it it’ll make more sense

[quote=“Angel”]
I know Miike’s face like the back of my hand. I picked it up in an instant. But I didn’t even know he was going to be in it. It really surprised me when I saw him.
[/quote]

Honestly i dont think i would have noticed unless you pointed it out to me, i just like the fact that hes playing a cameo role as himself… who we can assume goes there to torture people to death… thats cooler then if he were playing a character… to me anyway

[quote=“AlexPallas”]
i’ve only seen him as a blonde thus far, i didn’t notice it at all and i got a good look at the character. maybe the second time i see it it’ll make more sense
[/quote]

Wasn’t he Tanaka in Kill Billv1?

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
Wasn’t he Tanaka in Kill Billv1?
[/quote]

Jun Kunimura played Tanaka

Guys, I need your help:

Recently I stumbled upon an hillarious clip of some obscure Kaiju-Movie, starring guys like Hanuman, Ultra-Brothers and Gomola and now I desperately need to know the title of that movie:

- YouTube

As far as I know, Hanuman is a Thai/Super/Hero/God(?), and imdb has got this movie listed: Urutora 6-kyodai tai kaijû gundan, a Thai-Japanese co-production. On ebay, however, I came across this DVD:

Hanuman vs. 5 Kamen-Raiders

Wild, unintentionally hilarious Thai kaiju film shot in Bangkok sometime in the '70s. Filled with strange creatures, this film resembles a really cheap Super Inframan!

Could it be the one I’m looking for? Thanks for your help.

Actress Jeon Ji-hyeon Likely to Focus on Foreign Market for the Time Being (2006/01/09)

Actress Jeon Ji-hyeon will likely refrain from acting in Korean films for the time being after her new film Daisy (2006) is released in early February.

Jeon worked together with foreign actors for the film “Windstruck” (2004) and a foreign director (Andrew Lau from Hong Kong) for the film Daisy. She plans to make her presence known in earnest in the overseas film market in 2006. To this end, Jeon will refrain from acting in Korean films for now and will prepare for her advance into the overseas film market, while keeping in touch with foreign film producers.

A person close to Jeon said, “Many stars from Chinese-speaking regions engage in brisk activities in the overseas film market, including Hollywood. But no Korean actors or actresses have made their presence known conspicuously yet. So, Jeon has decided to suspend her acting in Korean films and seek an opportunity to advance into the overseas market this year”.

Jeon will likely leave for the United States this summer and stay there for a while. During her stay there, she will brush up on her English and look for opportunities in the overseas film market, including Hollywood.

Jeon has so far continued her study of conversational English and made steady preparations for her advance into the overseas film market. Based on such preparations, she will look for the best opportunity to make her presence established as a genuine “hallyu” star. The person close to Jeon added, “This year, Jeon Ji-hyeon will look for a spot as a ‘global star’, not as a mere ‘hallyu star’.”

Source: hancinema.net

But what will happen to Korean Romantic-Cinema, then? :cry:

Well, maybe she’s going to be in that inevitable US-Remake of “My sassy Girl” . . .

Man, wouldn’t you kind of feel offended if you were Korean? I wonder if this would hurt her popularity.

Still, more Ji-Hyun for us! Woohoo! :wink:

Currently trying to look at the bright side of this matter: at least it’ll get easier for me collecting her movies on DVD. ;D (Still waiting for watchable release of “Fascinate my Heart” and “Happy together”, though)

I hope JJ Hyun’s got to play in some major roles, not just supporting cast, like they generally like to do in Hollywood with Asians. She’s such a great actress, it’ll be just wrong seeing her act just as a sidekick in your daily run-of-the-mill Action-Movie.

I don´t think that´s a good idea. I mean, whatfor shall this be? I mean, I wish her luck, but… of all Asian actors/actresses who leaved to Hollywood for becoming world-famous… how many did succeed? Specially as serious -taken?