Asian Cinema Ticker

For a second (well, for a few minutes, actually) I thought the upcoming Korean film ‘Bloody Tie’ was the ABT remake we’ve been talking about. The characters look surprisingly similiar (only much more idiotic) in this terrible music video: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://ziness.gscdn.com/dmc/ziness/movi … cvideo.wmv”>http://ziness.gscdn.com/dmc/ziness/movie/sasaeng/data/Bloodytie700_512_musicvideo.wmv</LINK_TEXT>

just to make sure…the last samurai was an insult to japanese films. agree or disagree?

[quote=“AlexPallas”]
just to make sure…the last samurai was an insult to japanese films. agree or disagree?
[/quote]

Disagree. Great, epic stuff, one of the better Hollywood-Movies I’ve seen last year. It’s not realistic, though, but who gives a damn, as long as it feels good and looks good. Why do you think, this movie is an insult to japanese films? I love japanese movies myself and I can’t see, why something like “Zatoichi”, “Azumi” and “Last Samurai” shouldn’t be able co-exist. After all it’s just another form of Samurai-entertainment . . .

[quote=“diceman”]
Disagree. Great, epic stuff, one of the better Hollywood-Movies I’ve seen last year. It’s not realistic, though, but who gives a damn, as long as it feels good and looks good. Why do you think, this movie is an insult to japanese films? I love japanese movies myself and I can’t see, why something like “Zatoichi”, “Azumi” and “Last Samurai” shouldn’t be able co-exist. After all it’s just another form of Samurai-entertainment . . .
[/quote]

SPOILERS for “Last Samurai”! (sorry)

i’m not saying everything about the last samurai is disgraceful, in fact some aspects (such as location, and some camera angles) are rather good. however, when it comes right down to it, the storyline of this movie is basically an excuse to make a white guy a samurai! this is rediculous. if that wasn’t enough, he is up front in battle, looses the war, and is the only one to live! then is pardoned! this movie may have a few critically well done aspects, but the premise is incredibly offensive! Sadana really sold his soul on this one.

Dude get over yourself. The Japanese in the film were shown in quite an honest portrayal. Its not like the Asian movies that make white people look like meatheads. Or the Chinese and Japanese films that make fun of one another. The whole point of the white guy was, hmmmm, its an american film and the filmaker wanted to show japanese culture from an outsiders view sow we could learn with him. The ending was the only part I disliked. I wished they would have had him gunned to death and bam its over. Now thats the way of the samurai!

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
The whole point of the white guy was, hmmmm, its an american film and the filmaker wanted to show japanese culture from an outsiders view sow we could learn with him.
[/quote]

i think the point was profit. i can’t remember ever seeing a Japanese film in the theaters (the Zatoitchi poster was pulled from my local theater after House of Flying Daggers flopped). the only reason Hero made it was because it was presented by tarantino, let’s face it. Hero is one of my favorite movies of all time, but americans are just too lazy to read subtitles and too prejudice to watch ‘yellow’ people for an hour+

It sounds like you’re only talking about mainstream theaters though. The reason they don’t show foreign films in normal theaters is because, well, they’re foreign and not mainstream. If there are any indie type theaters near you (and there are in most cities), then I bet they show Asian films at least once in a while. But you were right about Americans being too lazy to read subtitles and whatnot…at least most Americans. I personally think it’s retarded when someone says that they don’t want to have to “Read” during a movie, because it really doesn’t take any more effort than staying awake and having to listen to what the actors say, because after a short while the words burn into your subconscious as the images flash on the screen so it’s not like you’re reading a book or anything.

[quote=“Hans”]
…after a short while the words burn into your subconscious as the images flash on the screen so it’s not like you’re reading a book or anything.
[/quote]

good point. not only does your subconscious learn the language (though associate, et cetera) but you learn to watch and read at the same time. its an interesting skill.

i suppose there is no need to complain about all the evil of the world tho.

hero’s a very visual film, i dont have any problems reading in subtitles and since i can enjoy both i do… frankly i havnt watched the English language version… live action films ect tend to not work dubbed… the last samurai probably should have had less focus on toms character so the story wouldn’t have had to move around him… the racist undertones in arguments similar to these is beginning to annoy me… ahh forget it

[quote=“Thousand Eyes”]
the racist undertones in arguments similar to these is beginning to annoy me… ahh forget it
[/quote]

look how long it took america to except the african american culture. now white america understands them better. however america is truly still stuck in the ‘asian mystique’ phase. it seems the country in general has a bad attention deficit and loves to stereotype subtley.

all right, now i’m done with the subject. japan is the future of cinema anyway.

edit: and just for the record, i’m american

More Spoilers on “Last Samurai”

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
The ending was the only part I disliked. I wished they would have had him gunned to death and bam its over. Now thats the way of the samurai!
[/quote]

There was I time I was thinking like that, but in the meantime I can now understand why the current ending is important and better than anything else: You see, in the end Tom Cruise’s character wasn’t a Samurai. He just learned a little about the way of the Samurai, he was accepted and he accepted them. The honor of dying a crucial death on the battlegrounds wasn’t for him, because just having a death-wish is not enough, what he truly sought was just peace and in the end he kinda achieved it by different means altogether. It was for Katsumoto, the true Samurai, who got the honourable death he’ always desired. The last Samurai isn’t Tom Cruise, but Ken Watanabe!

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
Dude get over yourself. The Japanese in the film were shown in quite an honest portrayal. Its not like the Asian movies that make white people look like meatheads. Or the Chinese and Japanese films that make fun of one another. The whole point of the white guy was, hmmmm, its an american film and the filmaker wanted to show japanese culture from an outsiders view sow we could learn with him. The ending was the only part I disliked. I wished they would have had him gunned to death and bam its over. Now thats the way of the samurai!
[/quote]

When I first saw the film I 100% agreed with that. Every singe word above could’ve been written by me.

[quote=“diceman”]
More Spoilers on “Last Samurai”

There was I time I was thinking like that, but in the meantime I can now understand why the current ending is important and better than anything else: You see, in the end Tom Cruise’s character wasn’t a Samurai. He just learned a little about the way of the Samurai, he was accepted and he accepted them. The honor of dying a crucial death on the battlegrounds wasn’t for him, because just having a death-wish is not enough, what he truly sought was just peace and in the end he kinda achieved it by different means altogether. It was for Katsumoto, the true Samurai, who got the honourable death he’ always desired. The last Samurai isn’t Tom Cruise, but Ken Watanabe!
[/quote]

Good point. I always hated the title because people always think it refers to Tom.

And no, I don’t think it’s an insult to Japanese cinema. It’s clearly a big Hollywood film, and I wouldn’t compare it to Japanese cinema in any way.

all right i’ll get over it.

has anyone seen Takashis’ yet?

[quote=“AlexPallas”]
all right i’ll get over it.

has anyone seen Takashis’ yet?
[/quote]

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p#msg132737”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,4902.msg132737/topicseen.html#msg132737</LINK_TEXT>

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p#msg132737”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,4902.msg132737/topicseen.html#msg132737</LINK_TEXT>
[/quote]

my bad, i’ll find my way around here eventually

[quote=“AlexPallas”]
look how long it took america to except the african american culture. now white america understands them better. however america is truly still stuck in the ‘asian mystique’ phase. it seems the country in general has a bad attention deficit and loves to stereotype subtley.

[/quote]

Ya, according to most people, every single Asian movie that comes out is either Chinese or Japanese. Because Korea and Thailand are just made up countries in most people’s eyes. “Hey have you seen that Japanese movie Oldboy? Looks pretty cool, no?” “Oldboy’s Korean, you dumb fuck…meaning it was made in Korea.” “Kor- whaty? is that a type of Sushi?” I remember back in Elementary School whenever there was an Asian person in a class, everyone automatically thought they were Chinese and they would always get so pissed off because they were actually Korean or Japanese or whatever but people thought that all the Asian people lived in China. That’s still kind of true today and the tough part is that most Asian-Americans are Chinese, so it’s a hard stereotype to get rid of.

look how long it took america to except the african american culture

Do you see something wrong with that phrase. African American culture IS American culture. They are not seperate. Neither is Asian American. I sure as shit don’t know anything about real African culture and neither would African Americans. I’ve never seen an “African” film.

And like somebody already said, you might not see asian films at your theater but I sure as shit didn’t get Kill Bill!!! We didn’t even get Good Night and Good Luck!!! Don’t pretend this is some hatred towards asians. Americans love asians. Alot more than mexicans! What they show at a theater has nothing to do with nothing. I’ve never seen a french or german film EVER at a theater. But I have seen plenty asian films. Maybe us Americans are against those Europeans!

I know this is going to piss you off but I’m going to say it. FLYING DAGGERS SUCKED AND HERO WAS MEDIOCRE. There are better looking films, there are better action films and there are films with way better stories coming out of asia. Seasons, Ong Bak and Oldboy. I could have pulled Flying Daggers out of my ass. I love Andy Lau and Ziyi and almost every other actor and actress in both films and I wouldn’t bother owning either. Zhang should go back to low budget.

you’re going to compare Onk-Bak to Yimou Zhang? get a clue. Onk-Bak was no different than anything out of hong kong since the 70’s. it was decent, but i would have much preferred another Jet Li Golden Harvest film. and as my following sentence implies i was saying white america didn’t accept african american culture. and i was speaking in general. i don’t say everyone over there or over here is the same, i say most are. and i hate to tell you, but as a white american who has at one time resided in Florida, they like asians more because they speak english and alot of the mexicans dont. i’m not flaming mexicans by any means, i’m not a racist, but in Florida alot simply do not speak english. and i find it hard to believe that any other american doesn’t know african american culture is alot different than white american culture, been to Cali lately?

edit: who’s saying america doesn’t have prejudice against european films?

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
look how long it took america to except the african american culture

Do you see something wrong with that phrase. African American culture IS American culture. They are not seperate. Neither is Asian American. I sure as shit don’t know anything about real African culture and neither would African Americans. I’ve never seen an “African” film.

And like somebody already said, you might not see asian films at your theater but I sure as shit didn’t get Kill Bill!!! We didn’t even get Good Night and Good Luck!!! Don’t pretend this is some hatred towards asians. Americans love asians. Alot more than mexicans! What they show at a theater has nothing to do with nothing. I’ve never seen a french or german film EVER at a theater. But I have seen plenty asian films. Maybe us Americans are against those Europeans!

I know this is going to piss you off but I’m going to say it. FLYING DAGGERS SUCKED AND HERO WAS MEDIOCRE. There are better looking films, there are better action films and there are films with way better stories coming out of asia. Seasons, Ong Bak and Oldboy. I could have pulled Flying Daggers out of my ass. I love Andy Lau and Ziyi and almost every other actor and actress in both films and I wouldn’t bother owning either. Zhang should go back to low budget.
[/quote]

Since when is America made up of soley African-Americans? The majority of Americans are Caucasian, and there is a difference between White Culture and African-American culture. African-American is a loose term anyway, since most African-Americans ancestors came over to America 300+ years ago, while Asian-Americans usually have close relatives that are directly from Asia. How many African films are distributed internationally, anyway? One of the main reasons why Asian films aren’t released in many normal theaters, besides the fact that they’re not mainstream, is that people don’t want to have to “read” for an hour and a half and has nothing to do with prejudice or racism. And Ong Bak was good, but not as good as Hero or Daggers (though it might be superior on repeat viewings). Ong Bak had some great fight scenes, but was nothing more than a Jackie Chan/Armour of God rip-off.

And Andy Lau sucks.

[quote=“Hans”]
And Andy Lau sucks.
[/quote]

i was right with you until you said that. loved him ever since Fulltime Killer