Asian Cinema Ticker

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Either way, I wanna post some odagiri pics later… I just need to find them from my hard drive first…
[/quote]

Now, you’re really gotta find them on your hard-drive? Or did you mean, you gotta find THE hard-drive first, the one with ALL your Odagiri pics on it. :smiley:

[quote=“diceman”]

Now, seriously, who’s cuter?
[/quote]

Well, I have to admit I’d rather spent the night with Yukie Nakama, but hey if she wasn’t available I’d love to go for dinner with Joe ;D

[quote=“diceman”]
Now, you’re really gotta find them on your hard-drive? Or did you mean, you gotta find THE hard-drive first, the one with ALL your Odagiri pics on it. :smiley:
[/quote]

I may be gay, but my hard drive is still a mess ;D

Some recent interesting Odagiri movies

Big River (2005)

This road movie should be almost fully in english.

Hazard (2005)

Nobody like this, but it’s Sono and Odagiri in New York. Apparently mostly in japanese.

Yureru (2006)

This Miwa Nishikawa film has received good reviews. R2J with subs.

Tokyo Tower: Mom and Me, and Sometimes Dad (2006)

This one I mentioned before… Site here, HK disc just hit the streets

Sad Vacation (2007)

The final part in the Shinji Aoyama trilogy (Helpless and Eureka were the previous two). Stars Odagiri, Asano and Miyazaki.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
I have to admit I’d rather spent the night with Yukie Nakama, but hey if she wasn’t available I’d love to go for dinner with Joe ;D[/quote]

Yeah, that’s a way of life I could deal with: spending day-time with Joe Odagiri and sharing the night with Yukie Nakama . . . ah, too perfect. ;D

I’m a Cyborg but That’s Okay Because I’m a Cute Japanese*:

http://cyborg.gyao.jp/

• she’s not really that cute, I just wanted to make the headline funnier.

Oh, but she is cute. :smiley:

“Cyborg Girl” a.k.a. “She” is the next upcoming project by Kwak Jae-Young, the unrivaled master of Sappy Korean Romance (“Windstruck”, “My sassy Girl”, “The Classic” anyone?), but entirely shot in Japan and with a Japanese cast as well. Looks good so far, count me in.

• Youtube-Trailer works better for me: - YouTube

//EDIT: Just noticed, that’s Haruka Ayase! Damn, I’m hugely looking forward to that “Ichi”-flick!

“At the premiere of “Fatal Move”, Sammo Hung said that he hopes to act in a Category III sex scene.

Hoping some filmmaker will try to fullfill his request”

I’ve found a “new” idol; [b]Momoe Yamaguchi (å±±å

Thanks, although currently I only care for her music. That’s some beautiful singing, indeed (damn, even from my most favorite period).

Seems like I’m really gonna have check out some of her Albums.

btw. could you tell me once again, what’s that movie your Sig and Avatar is from?

It seems like I gotta know it, though.

Typhoon Club (1985) - IMDb

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Then something weird from Japan. A sequel to Shaolin Soccer… Yes, I said from Japan.

“Here’s what we know: it’s the announcement of Shaolin Shoujo, a sequel to Stephen Chow’s action-comedy Shaolin Soccer. It’s a purely Japanese film - with Chow on board as producer - starring Kou Shibasaki and directed by Odoro Daisousasen’s Katsuyuki Motohiro with the sports setting moved away from soccer and into the world of lacrosse.”

[/quote]

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Teaser trailer: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/shaolin … r-arrives/”>http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/shaolin-girl-teaser-arrives/</LINK_TEXT>
[/quote]

Trailer: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/shaolin … -tv-spots/”>http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/shaolin-girl-trailer-and-tv-spots/</LINK_TEXT>

I think I’m gonna skip “CJ7” in favour of this one.

And Kou Shibasaki’s looking as good in this movie as she didn’t in a long time.

Hey Hung Fist, I vaguely recall you being interested in my wanted-list from “The Midnight Eye’s Guide to New Japanese Film”. Now that I’m finally through, here’s my list of movies I still need to see (movies from the book that I’ve watched already, I’ve crossed out):

• Branded to Kill (Seijun Suzuki)
  • Pistol Opera (Seijun Suzuki)
  • Battles without Honor and Humanity (Kinji Fukasaku)
  • The Triple Cross (Kinji Fukasaku)
  • Battle Royale (Kinji Fukasaku)
  • Crazy Thunder Road (Sogo Ishii)
  • August in the Water (Sogo Ishii)
  • Bounce Ko Gals (Masato Harada)
  • Cure (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
  • Pulse (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
  • Grave of the Fireflies (Studio Ghibli)
  • Only Yesterday (Studio Ghibli)
  • The most terrible Time in my Life (Kaizo Hayashi)
  • Tetsuo: The Iron Man (Shinja Tsukamoto)
  • Tokyo Fist (Shinja Tsukamoto)
  • A Snake of June (Shinja Tsukamoto)
  • Violent Cop (Takeshi Kitano)
  • A Scene at the Sea (Takeshi Kitano)
  • Ley Lines (Takashi Miike)
  • Audition (Takashi Miike)
  • Ichi the Killer (Takashi Miike)
  • Eureka (Shinji Aoyama)
  • Dangan Runner (Sabu)
  • The Ring (Hideo Nakata)
  • The sleeping Bride (Hideo Nakata)
  • Moonlight Whispers (Akihiko Shiota)
  • Harmful Insect (Akihiko Shiota)
  • The Man who stole the Sun (Kazuhiko Hasegawa)
  • Family Game (Yoshimitsu Morita)
  • Tampopo (Juzo Itami)
  • The Mystery of Rampo (Rintaro Mayuzumi, Kazuyoshi Okuayama)
  • Love Letter (Shunji Iwai)
  • Memories (Koji Morimoto, Tensai Okamura, Katsuhiro Otomo)
  • Organ (Kei Fujiwara)
  • Shall we Dance? (Masayuki Suo)
  • Kichiku (Kazuyoshi Kumakiri)
  • Onibi: The Fire within (Rokuro Mochizuki)
  • Raigyo (Takahisa Zeze)
  • Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon)
  • Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (Shusuke Kaneko)
  • Scoutman (Masato Ishioka)
  • Uzumaki (Higuchinsky)
  • Avalon (Mamoru Oshii)
  • Final Fantasy: The Spirits within (Hironobu Sakaguchi)
  • Kaza-Hana (Shinji Somai)

Thanks.

From my point of view:

• Branded to Kill (Seijun Suzuki)
  • Pistol Opera (Seijun Suzuki)
  • Battles without Honor and Humanity (Kinji Fukasaku)
  • The Triple Cross (Kinji Fukasaku)
  • Battle Royale (Kinji Fukasaku)
  • Crazy Thunder Road (Sogo Ishii)
  • August in the Water (Sogo Ishii)
  • Bounce Ko Gals (Masato Harada)
  • Cure (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
  • Pulse (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
  • Grave of the Fireflies (Studio Ghibli)
  • Only Yesterday (Studio Ghibli)
  • The most terrible Time in my Life (Kaizo Hayashi)
  • Tetsuo: The Iron Man (Shinja Tsukamoto)
  • Tokyo Fist (Shinja Tsukamoto)
  • A Snake of June (Shinja Tsukamoto)
  • Violent Cop (Takeshi Kitano)
  • A Scene at the Sea (Takeshi Kitano)

- Ley Lines (Takashi Miike) ** (own the dvd)
  • Audition (Takashi Miike)
  • Ichi the Killer (Takashi Miike)
  • Eureka (Shinji Aoyama)
  • Dangan Runner (Sabu)
  • The Ring (Hideo Nakata)
  • The sleeping Bride (Hideo Nakata)
  • Moonlight Whispers (Akihiko Shiota)
  • Harmful Insect (Akihiko Shiota)
  • The Man who stole the Sun (Kazuhiko Hasegawa)
  • Family Game (Yoshimitsu Morita)
  • Tampopo (Juzo Itami)
  • The Mystery of Rampo (Rintaro Mayuzumi, Kazuyoshi Okuayama)
  • Love Letter (Shunji Iwai)
  • Memories (Koji Morimoto, Tensai Okamura, Katsuhiro Otomo)
  • Organ (Kei Fujiwara)
  • Shall we Dance? (Masayuki Suo)
  • Kichiku (Kazuyoshi Kumakiri)
  • Onibi: The Fire within (Rokuro Mochizuki)
  • Raigyo (Takahisa Zeze)
  • Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon)
  • Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (Shusuke Kaneko)
  • Scoutman (Masato Ishioka)
  • Uzumaki (Higuchinsky)
  • Avalon (Mamoru Oshii)
  • Final Fantasy: The Spirits within (Hironobu Sakaguchi)
  • Kaza-Hana (Shinji Somai)

I’ll see the new Kitano movie “Achilles to kame” and the new Johnnie To movie “Man Jeuk” very soon at the Vienna film festival.

looking forward to it very much, especially Kitano’s new work.

Ah, Sparrow. I’d buy that if I had money ;D

I’m not sure about this new Kitano. I hope this will be the last part of the “constructive destruction of his career”. He should do A Scene at the Sea 2 next.

Motherfucker, they have Kimi no tomodachi. Get me a flight ticket now (and a film ticket, too)

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ … 725a3.html”>http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ff20080725a3.html</LINK_TEXT>

映画 『きみの友だち』オフィシャルサイト

After seeing the trailer and the few reviews, I don’t think achilles to kame will be as weird as his 2 movies before that. (which I like, btw) I expect an at least decent movie.

thanks for the links! I think maybe I’ll get tickets for Kimi no tomodachi too, could be good. do you know any of the other asian/japanese movies or their directors in the Viennale program?

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
After seeing the trailer and the few reviews, I don’t think achilles to kame will be as weird as his 2 movies before that. (which I like, btw) I expect an at least decent movie.[/quote]

I remember some reviewer said that it’s good until when Kitano comes in.

Of course I’ll be watching it when I get a chance. I’m just not expecting too much. I did love Takeshis’, though. Kantoku banzai was party good, but definitely not a promising move. But it did have Anne Suzuki, so, yeee.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
thanks for the links! I think maybe I’ll get tickets for Kimi no tomodachi too, could be good.
[/quote]

Have you seen anything by Ryuichi Hiroki before? He’s not a one of the very best directors I know, but in the current state of Japanese cinema he is indeed one of the most interesting filmmakers left (especially now that one of my favourite directors, Jun Ichikawa, died) and also packs a lot of potential. He’s probably best know for Vibrator. I’ve also seen Tokyo gomi onna, Love on Sunday and L’Amant from him. He’s very good with cinematography, usually shooting digital. Used to be a pink director, btw. I need to get more films of his, at least It’s Only Talk and Girlfriend: Someone Please Stop the World when I recover from the expenses of the Sogo Ishii box set (which is the reason I’ll be losing a lot of weight this month).

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
do you know any of the other asian/japanese movies or their directors in the Viennale program?
[/quote]

Home Sweet Home is an older film by Soi Cheang (Love Battlefield, Dog Bite Dog) so might be worth a try. United Red Army I’d go see for just being a Koji Wakamatsu film. Secret Sunsine I’ve seen already (see asia diary). Terrible, Cannes awarded trash. I’m pretty sure Symptom X was either nominated or won the main price on some film festival, but I can’t remember what it was.

Sorry, I’m not very good at recommending films I haven’t seen because I never want to read to much about them forehand, nor could I care less about IMDB ratings and such.

thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

Craziness, the second trailer especially