Asian Cinema Ticker

Not really.

EDIT: I don’t hate her. I just don’t see anything special in her. But I do see something special in Li Yuchun (opinion purely based on pictures)

[quote=“Bad Max”]
you don’t like Zhang Ziyi?
[/quote]

memoirs of a geisha put her on my shitlist

Chinese actors playing Japanese in an American film. Sounds as retarded as the Initial D film with a Chinese cast speaking Chinese, yet still in Japan.

[quote=“Angel”]
Chinese actors playing Japanese in an American film. Sounds as retarded as the Initial D film with a Chinese cast speaking Chinese, yet still in Japan.
[/quote]

Yeah, but there’s a difference. Initial D isn’t the kind of film you’re supposed to take very seriously (I think). The language problem does much more harm to a film like Geisha.

But I haven’t seen either film, so maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about…

i haven’t seen either film, but memoirs looks like an exploitation film. just shove a bunch of yellow people in a movie and add sex? either way it seems that zhang would rather do hollywood than hong kong, and there is a serious seperation in quality of asian films as far as that goes.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Yeah, but there’s a difference. Initial D isn’t the kind of film you’re supposed to take very seriously (I think). The language problem does much more harm to a film like Geisha.

But I haven’t seen either film, so maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about…
[/quote]

Neither have I. Nor do I consider Initial D a bad film because of the language. I just find it hilarious. Surely when they were making it, they gave a thought to the Otaku in Japan that would boycott the film and pledge eternal hatred to the filmmakers.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Then he started things off on the right foot by telling the audience, “Diu lei lo mei,” which means, roughly, “F— your mother.” “Oh, damn,” he said. “I just swore.”
[/quote]

Yesterday, Yahoo! had a thing on the front page about how Jackie Chan wants to take all the swearing and stuff from his films from now on, because he is a role model to lots of children. It made me think of that article.

A magazine called Easyfinder published hidden cam photos of Gillian Chung (from ‘Twins’) changing during a concert a few days ago. And guys, no, it’s not cool. Just look at her.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://asianfanatics.net/forum/Gillian_ … 93495.html”>http://asianfanatics.net/forum/Gillian_Fans_Demand_Official_Apology_For_Photos_Taken_of_Gillian_Changing-talk293495.html</LINK_TEXT>

Poor thing. :frowning: I like Twins and I like their films. What kind of arsehole takes hidden camera photos of people changing and spreads them anyway? That’s just too far. >:(

[quote=“Angel”]
Neither have I. Nor do I consider Initial D a bad film because of the language. I just find it hilarious. Surely when they were making it, they gave a thought to the Otaku in Japan that would boycott the film and pledge eternal hatred to the filmmakers.
[/quote]

Was Initial D on world movies a while ago or did i just imagine it ( i was just flipping through the channels i havnt seen it )

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
[/quote]

I saw Initial D and really liked it. I mean, the language thing just seemed weird nowadays. It didn’t seem weird when Wong Jing did it with City Hunter. All the names were kept Japanese and they were still Japanese, but the actors were Chinese and they spoke Cantonese. I just didn’t think people would do that nowadays. But I do recommend the film. I never got into the anime, but I found the film really fun and cool. Anthony Wong is awesome in it.

it’s like when people do movies about the roman empire and they speak english with british accent and most of them are from america.

What do all of you think of Tony Jaa?

I just watched Ong-Bak, call me crazy but I think he could be the next Bruce Lee.

Everyone is saying that. He is good enough, but he won’t get anywhere near as famous as Jackie, Bruce or Jet. I see him making kick arse action films in Thailand, but not going anywhere from there. He doesn’t seem to be getting known in the wider public. The film community is one thing, but if he is going to be the next Bruce Lee, he needs to get known among people outside of the film community.

Yeah but Bruce Lee wasn’t in that many films, and they aren’t very good quality nor are they well written, just anti Japanese, bologna. How many are there like 6?

Plus I would rather watch Ong Bak then most of Bruce’s films. Of course I’m not a traditionalist like most so maybe my point is useless. My favorite Bruce film is Enter the Dragon, which everyone else regards as his worst, aside from his horrible cut films.

in order for Tony Jaa to become the next Bruce Lee, he’d have to learn to speak english. as we all know, the american public is generally not going to give a shit about him otherwise.

But even then, I see him being the next Jackie Chan rather than the next Bruce Lee. Tony Jaa is fun and amazing to watch and does all his own crazy ass stunts, like Jackie Chan.

Bruce was the greatest because he innovated the art and was a great philosopher, professor, and practitioner of the art. He wasnt just a guy that jumped off of shit like Jackie and Tony.

Bruce is the fucking man. Jackie and Tony are just very very fun to watch.

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
aside from his horrible cut films.
[/quote]

You’re not referring Game of Death 2, are you? Because that’s a masterpiece.

No one will ever be the next Bruce Lee because he was so much more than just a martial arts star. He’s almost a religion to some…

However, I think Tak Sakaguchi could be (something close to) the next Sonny Chiba. Not as skilled or mean, but he’s doing pretty well for a 2000’s action star…

which Asian director has the initials J.W. ? Cant think of one

John Wooington

yeah I know I’m stupid! :stuck_out_tongue: