Wanted

Best original score

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

Defiance - James Newton Howard

Milk - Danny Elfman

Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman

WALL-E - Thomas Newman

Best original song

Down to Earth from WALL-E, music by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, lyric by Peter Gabriel

Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire, music by A.R. Rahman, lyric by Gulzar

O Saya from Slumdog Millionaire, music and lyric by A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam

Best costume

Australia

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

The Duchess

Milk

Revolutionary Road

Best documentary feature

The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)

Encounters at the End of the World

The Garden

Man on Wire

Trouble the Water

Best documentary (short subject)

The Conscience of Nhem En,

The Final Inch,

Smile Pinki,

The Witness - From The Balcony Of Room 306.

Best film editing

The Dark Knight

Frost/Nixon

Milk

Slumdog Millionaire

Best makeup

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button,

The Dark Knight,

Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

Best animated short film

La Maison en Petits Cubes

Lavatory - Lovestory

Oktapodi

Presto

This Way Up

Best live action short film

Auf Der Strecke (On the Line)

Manon On The Asphalt

New Boy

The Pig

Spielzeugland (Toyland)

Best visual effects

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

The Oscars 2023 | 95th Academy Awards

What a joke.

Robert Downey Jr… are they trying to shorten Heath’s odds.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Holierthanthou. How much did they pay the Acadamy for that…

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Butthole having more nominations than any other movie this year. Fuck me.

Clint Eastwood must have it written in his contract when making a movie that they MUST be submitted to the Acadamy, even if they’re a piece of crap.

Only three people deserve any accolades for their work. Kate Winslet, Heath Ledger and Mickey Rourke.

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Frost/Nixon

Milk

The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire

I haven’t seen any of these, as none of them got a release here yet. The Dark Knight not nominated? I bet at least 2 or 3 of these movies aren’t as good as TDK.

Benjamin Button has 13 nominations which is pretty bad, the movie is not great at all, why Brad Pitt was nominated over Leonardo DiCaprio (Revolutionary Road) is beyond me as the latter turned in the performance of his career.

I’m glad The Dark Knight isn’t nominated in any of the big ones safe for Ledger’s performance (which was clearly the best thing in the film). It’s a Batman film, doesn’t belong in the Academy, and besides has 8 nominations. Good for it.

Frost/Nixon, Slumdog deserve to be contenders, Milk is good too but not as much as the other two and I still have to see The Reader. I read the book and loved it though.

The Supporting Actor category is the best, with everyone deserving to be there, but Ledger is taking that so the other noms can just be happy they were considered. Michael Shannon especially who was brilliant in Rev. Road.

I hope Meryl Streep wins her third Oscar as she was absolutely mesmerizing in Doubt, Cyd I don’t know how many of these films you saw but to say only three people deserve an award is a little hilarious. Cruz was excellent in Vicky Cristina Barcelona and everyone was excellent in Doubt. It’s funny you say that about Eastwood when his better film, Gran Torino, was shafted completely.

Bruce Springsteen not nominated for song is a travesty, Slumdog being nominated for TWO on the other hand makes it even worse. Aronofsky not nominated for Directing is pathetic, as is Rev. Road not nominated for screenplay or the two leads. I don’t get what they did with the whole Winslet/Reader/Rev. Road deal but it looks like her chance have slimmed down because of it.

Rourke, Streep, for the Oscar. I still have to see The Reader, The Visitor, Frozen River and Rachel Getting Married.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
It’s a Batman film, doesn’t belong in the Academy
[/quote]

holy crap, are you a total film snob or what?! Could you explain why? Just because it’s Batman?

I think Kate deserves an Oscar over Meryl… she already has two, let this one go to Kate.

The Dark Knight was a fine body of work, worthy of a lot more than Benny Butthole and Chingaling.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
holy crap, are you a total film snob or what?! Could you explain why? Just because it’s Batman?
[/quote]

Easy bud, I’m complimenting Batman with that statement because I think Oscar’s are mostly bullshit and guided by politics and who should win because they’ve been snubbed before not because they deserve it. So, I’m a bit of a film snob yes but Batman doesn’t belong in the Academy because it’s too good for it, so relax.

And Cyd: Winslet shouldn’t win because she hasn’t won before, she should win because she deserves it for her performance in The Reader. I haven’t seen it yet but i think it’s gonna be hard to top Streep in Doubt who is absolutely amazing. Have you seen Doubt? Streep hasn’t won since Sophie’s Choice, more than 20 years ago, she’s up for another statue.

So if you haven’t seen it yet, how can you judge…

Heh, I’m not judging i said i haven’t seen it and it’s gonna be hard to top Streep in Doubt, when i do see it i’ll make my judgement. Again, have you seen Doubt?

Not yet lol

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
…but Batman doesn’t belong in the Academy because it’s too good for it, so relax.
[/quote]

I dunno about that. Too good for Oscars? An Oscar nod in either the best film or best director category would be good for Nolan, everybody who worked on TDK, and it would bring new respectability to Batman franchise and the comic books in general.

Revolutionary Road has no recognition in the oscars and that I do’nt understand, and I really hate the Academy in that case. No nomination for best directing ? Best movie ? Best actors ? Kate has to win, she HAS to. AS the movie, she has not the recognition she deserves. Really.

And other wrong things - 13 nominations for Benjamin Button ?? Milk as best movie (they stole the chance for Revolutionary Road) ?? And how lazy is that to keep the five same movies for best movie and best directing ? No Springsteen and instead two tracks from Slumdog Millionaire, isn’t one enough ? 8 nominations for The Dark Night ? Okay, it’s mainly only technical nominations but still 8 is a GREAT recognition and too much for it I think.

I could go on go on but I’m too mad about Revolutionary Road. And this is for you, Ify, Roger Deakins’ cinematography is GREAT in Revolutionary Road. ANd no nomination.

Yeah the snub Revolutionary Road received is really shocking and disappointing. DiCaprio’s finest performance (and he has many) and not even a nomination. Pathetic. I need to see The Reader to judge which Winslet performance was better but she was outstanding in Rev.Road.

[quote]Not yet lol [/quote]

As i thought, lol is right. Watch Doubt and then compare.

[quote]I dunno about that. Too good for Oscars? An Oscar nod in either the best film or best director category would be good for Nolan, everybody who worked on TDK, and it would bring new respectability to Batman franchise and the comic books in general.[/quote]

The Batman franchise doesn’t need new respectability, especially from stuck-up snobby Academy members. Nolan did that all by himself and his team with Begins and Dark Knight. True fans will continue loving it, it still made a ton of money etc. What you should be really pissed about is The Wrestler being shafted from those categories.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
Yeah the snub Revolutionary Road received is really shocking and disappointing. DiCaprio’s finest performance (and he has many) and not even a nomination. Pathetic. I need to see The Reader to judge which Winslet performance was better but she was outstanding in Rev.Road.
[/quote]

I just checked out, the poor Leo has only got THREE nominations in the oscars and of course won none. What’s wrong ?? And why did he get nominated for Blood Diamond and is snobbed for Revolutionary Road ? At Least Kate got already 6 nominations including The Reader, I think it’s time to let her win for once. I wish it was for Revolutionary Road though. It’s more symbolic for her, directed by her husband, with Leo who’s she’s real close to, and adapted from a book she loves and she herself convinced both guys to do this movie.

Whatever the Academy will decided. Kate and Leo are among the best actors from the generation, and they can’t deny it, they can snob them, ignore them, or nominate them for free and never let them win. But we all know the truth.

Yeah DiCaprio should of won a long time ago for his amazing performance in The Aviator. But of course, he got snubbed. He’ll be one of those actors that gets nominated and never wins when he actually deserves it and then when he turns in an all right performance in a year when another actor deserves it, he’ll get it. Such is the way of the Academy circa Russel Crowe, Denzel Washington, Al Pacino etc. I’m worried this will happen with Kate Winslet, i want her to win badly because i lover her, a little in love too :p, and she’s brilliant but if her performance in Rev. Road is better than the Reader and she still wins? Meryl Streep will leave robbed and the Academy will have another addition to make to their list of fuck-ups.

Oh yeah you’re totally right.

adds to your list the most booed academy loser : Scorsese ! He never won when he should have have and suddently does with not his best movie. I also want Leo and Kate to win with the right movies but I’m also afraid they won’t win anything, so I’m ready about the possibility they will once win for the not right movie. Though Kate is supposed to be great in The Reader.

And about Meryl Streep… Damn right, I’m sure she’ll rob it ! And she does, and says in her speech that she feels sorry for Kate, I’ll kill her !

I’m freaking raging about The Class being nominated both in Oscars and Cesars. I’ve not seen the movie and probably won’t ever watch it because reading the plot almost made me throw up already. using the immigrants and the problems we have with education in France to make a movie, what’s new and/or moving with that ? I’m 20 and I feel like I’ve already seen this movie 10 thousand times. So much for a Palme d’Or in 2008…Foreign countries have heard about Bienvenue chez les ch’tis and the class this year, is french cinema becoming a big joke made of clichés or something ?

Oh yeah, I hadn’t seen that the nominations for the César are out. I’m gonna study that and yell on the French forum, ahaha.

Compared to last year, this year fucking sucked!

We had PT for Blood, The Coens for No Country, and the newcomer Diablo Cody with Juno.

And this year it’s Slumdog Millionaire who will sweep the awards. Quentin will bring some real taste next year.

Don’t worry, Tarantino will be booed like all the others. Like all the rest of his movies too.

But yeah, 2008 was damned excited. This year, they can even cancel the 5 hours ceremony, I don’t give a sh#t watching 5 hours to know that Benjamin Button, Slumdog Millionaire and The Dark Night will rob everything.