The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

81st Annual Academy Awards

A lot of people on a lot of boards and forums and whatnot seem to be judging the academy as some maniacal entity sitting in a dark room tenting it’s fingers and laughing. It’s a majority vote. There’s no one to blame. EVeryone’s got their own taste. I am very upset myself about Dicaprio not getting nominated as well as Revolutionary Road getting snubbed for best picture and cinematography, but life moves on. I’m still very hgappy about Brad Pitt getting a nomination thought I can’t help but feeling it has more to do with his snub from last year with Jesse James. I’m really happy for Josh Brolin, Amy Adams, Marisa Tomei and a few more who are very deserving of this kind of attention. I’m sure Slumdog Millionaire will win best picture but not because it deserves to. I’m still in a rage about it winning all those Golden Globes let alone being nominated for best picture. I love how indie pics are making their presence known this year with Richard Jenkins and Melissa Leo. I’m also glad Gran Torino was snubbed, because it really wasn’t worth all the praise people have been giving it. The best actor and actress races look very interesting this year, I’m not sure who will win which I haven’t been able to say in a while.

and Brad Pitt’s oscar nom brings a ton of extra cred to Inglourious Basterds. I’m hoping the trailer uses the “Academy Award Nominee Brad Pitt” intro lol.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
and Brad Pitt’s oscar nom brings a ton of extra cred to Inglourious Basterds. I’m hoping the trailer uses the “Academy Award Nominee Brad Pitt” intro lol.
[/quote]

Ahaha ! I now see why you so enjoy Brad Pitt’s nomination.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
And about Meryl Streep… Damn right, I’m sure she’ll rob it ! And she does, and says in her speech that she feels sorry for Kate, I’ll kill her !
[/quote]

Heehee, i meant if Kate Winslet wins and she doesn’t deserve it for The Reader, she’s the one that will rob Meryl Streep who is absolutely FANTASTIC in Doubt.:stuck_out_tongue: Now if Winslet gives an outstanding performance in The Reader…that’s a different story. I’m watching the Reader tonight or tomorrow :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, then tell me what you think of the movie. It’s only released in February in France, so it’ll be too late to be overexcited from Kate or overdepressed after the oscars.

We can Burry an Oscar on Heath Ledger’s tomb right on the spot, honestly, I’m tired of reading his name everywhere. That might seem harsh to say but the guy is dead, seriously, it’s over; will people stop polishing his boots already ?

Which is sad in Heath Ledger case, is that, he sure deserves this oscar BUT the recognition comes too late. Nobody polished his boots when he was still alive, but what about his performance in Brokeback Mountain ? in I’m Not There ?

All good work from Ledger. I am one of those that doubt he would of even been nominated had he still been alive but I’m happy he has and I’m happy he will win because he truly gave the best male supporting role of the year. Lili, I’ll let you know what I think about The Reader.

I think he would have gotten the nom regardless. His perf was getting serious buzz before he died, the death and the coverage just added to it. For sure he probably wouldn’t have been a lock were he alive.

And I definitely think that either Hathaway or Winslet deserve the Oscar. Jolie is great in Changeling but they were better. Streep was - and I hate to agree with critics, a caricature. Melissa Leo was just lucky enough to get the nod.

Rourke looks to have the edge and I think that has a lot too do with Sean Penn’s more tame performance. It was a tour de force of a different kind, genial. Frank Langella was great as Nixon but the movie just… I dunno. It’s great… but lacks something. Can’t put my finger on it. As for Richard Jenkins… see Melissa Leo.

I’m really into supporting actor. It’s a really good year for this category. I love Hoffman in doubt I rewatched it this morning. The dudes been nominated in that category two years in a row. Brolin broke my heart in Milk, just watch the scene where he sits nude in front of the window. And Downey.jr getting a nom for a Ben Stiller directed film… that’s a freaking breakthrough. Heath will win it for sure for sheer grandeur. His perf leaves a funny taste in your mouth. He lingers.

Suporting actress is a toss up for me. I think Penelope Cruz should win, she’s a raw and unbelievably passionate in Vicky Christina Barcelona, but Viola Davis has been getting amazing buzz for her all of ten minute screentime.

Director is a downer for me. I don’t particularly enjoy Ron Howard’s direction. He’s not bad, but not great either. Stephen Daldry is good as well, no great shakes though. It’s between Fincher and Boyle. Fincher should win based on scope and grandoise alone but Danny Boyle has a good shot for some reason(a mystery to me).

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
All good work from Ledger. I am one of those that doubt he would of even been nominated had he still been alive
[/quote]

Blasphemy!

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]

[/quote]

Of course they will!

The sixth film by Academy Award Winner “Quentin Tarantino”.

OMG people are soo lame. These fanboy assholes need a serious reality check. Did anyone really expect the dark knight to be nominated for best picture? They make it out like it should win just cause they say it’s awesome and are pissed cause the world doesn’t share their pov. Organizing boycotts? WTF is wrong with people? I say we Boycott fanboys all together? Let’s release mustard gas at comic-com… or something less drastic, whateve.

[quote=“RatQuiRit”]
We can Burry an Oscar on Heath Ledger’s tomb right on the spot, honestly, I’m tired of reading his name everywhere. That might seem harsh to say but the guy is dead, seriously, it’s over; will people stop polishing his boots already ?
[/quote]

I’d like there to be major recognition for his work in TDK and he is totally deserving of an Oscar. Only an insensitive bastard like your yourself would complain and make such disgusting remarks about a dead man.

Yeah, that was a douchey thing to say. With all due respect to Douchebags

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
OMG people are soo lame. These fanboy assholes need a serious reality check. Did anyone really expect the dark knight to be nominated for best picture? They make it out like it should win just cause they say it’s awesome and are pissed cause the world doesn’t share their pov. Organizing boycotts? WTF is wrong with people? I say we Boycott fanboys all together? Let’s release mustard gas at comic-com… or something less drastic, whateve.
[/quote]

I’ve only ever watched Batman movies with my boyfriend, but even I thought TDK was impressive and I am never normally one who goes for comic book movies. It will have more staying power than most of the movies nominated this year.

Heath Ledger did a good job as The Joker, was it better than his performance in the gay Brokeback Mountain? I think not.

People die every day, and with Heath it was a tragedy, but who cares already.

And FYI

There is only one “c” in Academy.

[quote=“BioBasterd”]
the gay Brokeback Mountain
[/quote]

That was a weird thing to say. But yeah he was far more powerful in Brokeback and there’s your snub. He got robbed to hoffman, who was good. But not as much.

MERYL STREEP DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO DO CARICATURE!!! THAT is blasphemy. I’m stunned, and critics actually say this?? I heard nothing but praise, well deserved in my opinion.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
MERYL STREEP DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO DO CARICATURE!!! THAT is blasphemy. I’m stunned, and critics actually say this?? I heard nothing but praise, well deserved in my opinion.
[/quote]

I’ve read a couple reviews saying that and I agree. I don’t like how Streep seems to get an automatic nom when she does something like it’s no big thing. SHe’s great, the best actress of our time. But … i dunno. She’s not gonna win for this, or shouldnt IMO.

And you don’t find it fitting that the best actress of our time gets a nom for her performances? Sounds fitting to me…she’s in a league of her own. And you should say ‘shouldn’t’ because she might and I hope she does :slight_smile:

Aronofsky got snubbed. Mickey Rourke and Marissa Tomei got nominations for their performances and that’s it. What do they think, they directed themselves?

Haha, Australia got a nomination for Costume. I know as an Australian I should be supportive, but most of that film was rubbish. Seriously. Should have given it to Peter Weir. He would have done it justice.

[quote=“RatQuiRit”]
[/quote]

Yeah, well fuck you. People talk about Ledger because he was too young to die. He didn’t live long enough to be the legend that he was going to be. You can’t deny he was a great actor.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
[/quote]

Definitely. The Dark Knight was a great film and I think Christopher Nolan is a really intelligent director, but there was no fucking way it was going to get nominated. The Academy doesn’t roll like that.