Would and could you make a film that is similar to Tarantinos?

~Delete this topic if not appropriate~

I always wanted to write a screenplay that is based on an original idea but incorporates many of Tarantinos ideas… From music to settings etc.

Do you think it’s okay for people to make something that is similar to your work?

I am inspired by his ideas and want to make similar films. I don’t want to steal his spirit…

This is a geniune question I have been asking myself for a long time, I would really appreciate your opinion!

1 Like

You should watch Bad Times at the El Royale. That movie has a very Tarantino-esque feel to it, but it comes at a price: in my opinion it feels very tryhard. It wants to be Tarantino but it simply isn’t. I’d honestly recommend you to find your own tone and voice. We already have a Tarantino; we don’t have you yet!

1 Like

Go for it, you can make something similar and use the same motif in his films as long as you are careful. I wrote my own screenplay called “The Last Veteran”, which was about an avid film fan suffering from depression finally attempting to discover life, after meeting a teenager who is convinced he fought in The Vietnam War. I was so so happy with the concept, but I went extreme and the script was too heavily inspired by Tarantino’s work a couple of scenes ended up littered with not enough content but style, which I realised just did not work.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much for all your advice! I really appreciate it! I have specific ideas in mind already making up the shots in my head and listening to the music I have in mind… It’s all so wonderful and I’m lucky to have you to share it with… It’s epic af! (Only now that I have to ride a script)

I look forward to seeing something similar to Tarantino’s style but with the creator’s own flavor and twist.