Worst Scene in Pulp

Ah. Go the Weird Al route. That could work.

I like all of the Butch scenes, and especially the “oral pleasure” scene, (the whole thing, not just the oral part). It really shows butches commitment to fabian, and how much he loves her, and wants her to be with him, if any of the butch/fabian scenes were missing, people would be like “why does he care if she’s with him or not” because if you take out all the b/f scenes that you guys are talking about, you would just think that she is a dumb bitch that lost his watch, also, that he doesnt like her all that much, you would see him getting pissed, and throwing shit around and screaming at her, yelling at her to himself in the car. then by the time he comes back to the motel, with the chopper, it would create the mentallity that now he loves her because he almost died/got raped.

Pulp is absolutly fine just as it is.

I think either the taxi cab scene needed to be shortened or eliminated or the Fabian scene needed to be re shot. The movie was moving at such a relatively fast pace up to that point, and then it just seemed to get bogged down again until Butch goes to get his watch. Then the film picks back up and finishes with a BANG (“I shot Marvin in the face”).

[quote]I think either the taxi cab scene needed to be shortened or eliminated or the Fabian scene needed to be re shot. The movie was moving at such a relatively fast pace up to that point, and then it just seemed to get bogged down again until Butch goes to get his watch. Then the film picks back up and finishes with a BANG (“I shot Marvin in the face”). [/quote]

I totally agree. The pacing was supa-fast, till Bruce got in that cab. QT should have done something different with this section, because it’s just a little too slow for QT’s usual breakneck speed. AT LEAST TAKE OUT THE SHOWER SCENE! Do me a favor, pop in the dvd and watch the shower scene, and tell me that this scene NEEDS to be in the movie. Because I think it doesn’t.

[quote]

I totally agree. The pacing was supa-fast, till Bruce got in that cab. QT should have done something different with this section, because it’s just a little too slow for QT’s usual breakneck speed. AT LEAST TAKE OUT THE SHOWER SCENE! Do me a favor, pop in the dvd and watch the shower scene, and tell me that this scene NEEDS to be in the movie. Because I think it doesn’t. [/quote]

I think one of the things thats so cool about Pulp is the fact that QT shows scenes that other films wouldnt. Like the cab scene, even though its my least favorite scene, most directors would show the cab picking Butch up and then cut to him getting dropped off, but QTs style is to show him during the cab ride chatting with the driver. Its cool if you look at it that way.

The shower scene was cool because it was really funny to me.

Dont forget, the Gold Watch story was created by Avary not QT, so if at any point the film seems boring, its most likely Avarys fault. Cuz if you watch Killing Zoe, the first 20 minutes of the film are him and that chick laying in bed talking. Fuckin boring.

Dude, the Gold Watch kicks so much fucking ass it’s not even funny.

If you read the original Gold Watch segment on Avary’s domain, yes, you’ll realize Avary’s a fuck-head but you’ll note that he didn’t “WRITE” the final draft.

One thing you learn from Avary’s movies is that he can’t write dialogue worth shit.

Yes, Avary made the BASIC layout for the Gold Watch story…but Tarantino put in the dialogue. No way in hell Avary could have come up with that dialogue.

Avary basically stole an Oscar for Pulp Fiction (props to him on it too though)

I think the shower scene is funny, and who cares if we half a sec of Willis’ dick? I wasn’t looking, were YOU?

The Taxi Cab scene wasn’t that great, but it wasn’t terrible. The reason I love Pulp Fiction so much is because I love every moment of it. NOTHING SHOULD BE CHANGED. Pulp is like the movie some idiot student of Michael Bay will remake in about fifty years. Screw Bay. He sucks.

But about the Butch story going slow? Of course, we’re focusing on one main characters here…we’re learning about him and how much his fucking watch means to him. Fabienne is important aswell, she fucks shit up and almost gets Bruce a rim job in the Pawn Shop…she helps the story dramatically.

But wouldn’t it had been cool if Tarantino showed us the boxing fight? FUCK that would’ve been sweet. I think it would’ve helped the movie for that story since a lot of people think it’s slow…

so it would go funny Christopher Walken monologue, a sick assed boxing match, taxi ride, Butch in the motel room, butch can’t find watch, kills Vincent, runs over Marcellus, pawn shop rape, Butch returns.

I just think showing the fight would’ve evened out the action. Since it’s all building up to the rape, I think a fight would’ve held viewer’s attention through the motel scene and keep them expecting something…(killing vincent and rape)

But then again, Tarantino is famous for not showing us shit. :smiley:

I cannot find any scene in pulp that I didn’t like.

I enjoyed every second of the movie!

[quote]

I think one of the things thats so cool about Pulp is the fact that QT shows scenes that other films wouldnt. Like the cab scene, even though its my least favorite scene, most directors would show the cab picking Butch up and then cut to him getting dropped off, but QTs style is to show him during the cab ride chatting with the driver. Its cool if you look at it that way.

The shower scene was cool because it was really funny to me.

Dont forget, the Gold Watch story was created by Avary not QT, so if at any point the film seems boring, its most likely Avarys fault. Cuz if you watch Killing Zoe, the first 20 minutes of the film are him and that chick laying in bed talking. Fuckin boring.

[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head there. Thats pretty much the reason I disliked that part of the movie...because it reminds me so much of the first boring minutes of Killing Zoe.

And I don't care if Quentin Tarantino wrote the whole damn movie word for word, that doesn't change the fact that its unnecessary slow down. If Tarantino did write that dialogue, shame on him. I mean, in Pulp Fiction alone he proved he could make a fairly fast paced movie with a lot of dialogue in it. I loved the "Hamburger Conversation", I enjoyed the scene where Vincent is buying pot from Lance, I like the whole Jack Rabbit Slim's bit. Now, aside from the dance scene with Vincent and Mia, there isn't one bit of action in either of those individual parts. Not one shot fired, not even a voice raised, but I still love 'em...probably more than any of the action sequences in the movie at that. The reason is because the conversation up until the taxi cab was stimulating for lack of a better word.

Everyone in the movie up to that point, and following the rape scene, are obviously intelligent, quick tongued, self confident individuals. They are fun to watch because they say cool and interesting (if inane) things and the actors delivering the lines make every single word cool. However, the very concepts of the females in the Gold Watch sequence just contrast glaring with precedence set by the first act of the film.

Now, I don't know if its the actresses playing the parts of Fabian and the Cab Driver that I don't like or if its simply that the dialogue isn't as stimulating, but SOMETHING is amiss. Even if no one here is really all that qualified to evaluate what it actually is that is amiss, is irrelevant. Just about every person in this topic mentioned a part of the Gold Watch story, and that has to count for something.

i don’t think anything should be changed. i like the taxi part because of the weird-as-monkey-fuck taxi driver who wants to hear about killing. I think the fabian scene is funny. i wouldn’t want anything cut.

The scene with Fabienne and Butch slowed down the movie to me. I usually just skip that part.

Everything from Butch in the hotel room until the moment he wakes up I skip over.

During the course of the whole movie, the conversations usually aren’t just meaningless conversations, because they will all either impactful a future/past storyline, or answer a question.

The pot-belly monolouge is there for no reason, except maybe to show Fabienne’s innocence. Everything after that until the next morning is also maybe showing their comfort. If this is the truth, which I kind of doubt, it still doesn’t matter, because Fabienne and her relationship with Butch barely impacts anything, if anything at all.

[quote]Everything from Butch in the hotel room until the moment he wakes up I skip over.

During the course of the whole movie, the conversations usually aren’t just meaningless conversations, because they will all either impactful a future/past storyline, or answer a question.

The pot-belly monolouge is there for no reason, except maybe to show Fabienne’s innocence. Everything after that until the next morning is also maybe showing their comfort. If this is the truth, which I kind of doubt, it still doesn’t matter, because Fabienne and her relationship with Butch barely impacts anything, if anything at all.[/quote]

If you had a pot belly, i’d punch you in it. Right in the belly.

:’(

I think that everyone who has posted views on this subject all have excellent points, but I think that this movie is not an action movie at all I think that it is a drama. The dialogue says so. The dialogue is so clever and well put together that it reflects a drama that has action in it. The cab scene is part of the story, and a crucial one I think, because you get to know what kind of man Butch is.We see him at the beginning of the movie making a deal with the big boss man, and then see him as a child in the Gold watch scene and then wham, he is a boxer, who has just fucked over the boss man, killed another boxer, and now the mystery man is reveales in the cab sequence.

[quote]But wouldn’t it had been cool if Tarantino showed us the boxing fight? FUCK that would’ve been sweet. I think it would’ve helped the movie for that story since a lot of people think it’s slow…[/quote]

I think showing the fight would have taken away something from the movie. Like you said, QT is famous for not showing us stuff. But that’s good! One of the best points of Reservoir Dogs was that he didn’t show the bank robbery. They had to explain it in dialogue. It leaves a lot to the imagination. You have to just infer that Butch went crazy in the fight, so crazy he didn’t know that his opponent was killed. Personally, I love this style, of not showing some of the biggest action parts. If they did, it would relate too much to other people’s movies, like mainstream ones. And who here wants that, really?

good point, leaving it to the imagination. QT’s famous for that shit too… like the damn breifcase. I think its cool he left out the fight so we can fill in the blanks.

One of my friends read the book and he said in the breifcase was Marsellus Wallace’s soul. thats why he has the bandage on the back of his head. But, what the fuck does he know? That could be bullshit. Accutially, i have the book i’ll read it then post if it really is his soul.

[quote]One of my friends read the book and he said in the breifcase was Marsellus Wallace’s soul. thats why he has the bandage on the back of his head. But, what the fuck does he know? That could be bullshit. Accutially, i have the book i’ll read it then post if it really is his soul. [/quote]

There is a post on here about the theory of it being a soul. i think that it was ToothPickVicVega that posted it. His explanation is pretty cool, you should read it, it’s tight.

Thats my favorite theory of them all, but QT has never confirmed it, he wants us to come up with our own ideas. although some people will argue to the death that it is Marcellus’s soul. But I’ll leave this alone since theres already seperate topic for it.

Quentin is a horrible actor. He almost ruin my pulp fiction experience. The “safe house” was the worst. Love his movies hate his acting.

Nice first post, killthis, especially on a QT fan site… ::slight_smile:

Seriously, you think his acting ruins Pulp?? I think the dead nigger storage scene is one of the funniest ever. It just wouldn’t be Pulp without those famous lines. Plus the “you look like a coupla dorks” is priceless too.

I do know many hate QT’s acting, but is it really that bad to say that he ruined the movie??

BTW, what do you mean by “safe house”?