The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Worst Scene in Pulp

[quote]Quentin is a horrible actor. He almost ruin my pulp fiction experience. The “safe house” was the worst. Love his movies hate his acting.[/quote]

I don’t think that QT is a horrible actor, but he ain’t no leading man. I think that a lot of leading men, would be better as fill in the blanks actors like QT, for example(s):

Colin Farrell

Charlie Sheen

Ben Affleck

I think Farrell and Sheen are pretty good leads. Maybe not the best in the business, but definitely good enough to carry certain films.

I agree with Affleck though…just throw in Matt Damon and Tom Cruise for good measure and I’ll forgive you for your first two errors. :wink:

[quote]I think Farrell and Sheen are pretty good leads. Maybe not the best in the business, but definitely good enough to carry certain films.

I agree with Affleck though…just throw in Matt Damon and Tom Cruise for good measure and I’ll forgive you for your first two errors[/quote]

You don't like Cruise. Yeah, he's a pretty boy, but that motherfucker can act, and if he is in the lead of the movie, i trust it. His resume speaks for itself.

Jerry maguire
Vanilla Sky
Mission Impossible 1 &2
Magnolia
Risky business
Rain Man

Now I have to agree with the Matt Damon part, but Farrell fucking sucks in my opinion. I hated him in SWAT, Phone Booth, Daredevil, Hart's War, and in The Recruit. Damn near every movie he has done since he came to america.

Don’t forget American Outlaws, either.

Tigerland was good, though. I know what you mean, about his the majority of his movies sucking, but I still think he’s a pretty good actor with a lot of leading man charisma. I predict he’ll redeem himself in the eyes of the rest of the world after he finishes production on that film about Alexander the Great.

I still hate Tom Cruise. He’s been in some great movies, but he’s never carried any of them. In movies like Rain Man and Jerry Maguire (his two best) the directors are relying on the talent of Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr., and in movies like Mission Impossible, the emphasis is more on explosions and Cruise looking pretty for the camera than anything else. The coin is still in the air on wether or not I go to see the Last Samurai…if there’s a lot of action (and I mean ALOT) I’ll go to see it, but if its just Cruise moping around the camera for two to three hours, I’m skipping it.

[quote]I still hate Tom Cruise. He’s been in some great movies, but he’s never carried any of them. In movies like Rain Man and Jerry Maguire (his two best) the directors are relying on the talent of Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr., and in movies like Mission Impossible, the emphasis is more on explosions and Cruise looking pretty for the camera than anything else[/quote]

I think that Cruise has way more charisma than Farrell. Farrell has yet to prove himself to me. Cruise did a long time ago with Rain Man. Sure Dustin Hoffman was brilliant in it, but Cruise played an excellent part as well. He did a hell of a job in that movie, and I think that he deserved an Oscar as well, because if it weren’t for his performance then Hoffman would have not had a good one either, and Hoffman himself has said that on many occasions.

I think Cruise was really good in Vanilla Sky. Personally, it’s my favorite movie with him in it. But he is a pretty boy.

I’m probably going to be criticized for this, but I think Brad Pitt’s awesome. Fight Club was great (hope I don’t get criticized for that one.), he was excellent in Se7en, and he’s shown he can do weird roles in True Romance and Snatch.

Also, how the hell did our ‘Worst Scene in Pulp’ turn to talking about a discussion about good actors?

I like Brad Piit too, even if he is a pretty boy. Like pretty boy Johnny Depp (though not quite as talented) he reinvents himself for every movie; he’s more than just a face used to sell a product. Every time I see Brad Pitt in a film I don’t “see” him, I see the character he’s playing…I see Floyd, I see Tyler Durden, etc. Watching Tom Cruise, for me, is a lot like seeing someone like John Wayne though -albeit, a wimpier, prettier version. Yeah, he’s done well in movies, and definitely has some screen presence, but I only see Tom Cruise - not the character -…just as many people can’t even tell you what character John Wayne is playing if you flip on the television and turn the channel to a random movie of his; he’s just playing himself, he’s just BEING JOHN WAYNE. The same goes for Cruise.

Not that that’s a bad thing if you’re predisposed to like either/both Cruise and Wayne, but I personally can’t stand Cruise.

Wait. Were you saying that Johnny Depp wasn’t as talented as Brad Pitt or vice versa, cause i think Johnny Depp is one of he best actors out there

I’m saying Brad Pitt wasn’t as talented as Johnny Depp. Sorry for the confusion.

There’s no way in hell Brad Pitt could have ever played Hunter S. Thompson.

Ah, Hunter S. Thompson (Or Raul Duke) In my opinion Johnny Depps best role. I think that if Brad Pitt played Duke, he would have done the whole 12 Monkeys thing and it would have been retarded.

my favorit dep movie is Edword Sisser hands. I will alwaly like that movie. You guys know what parts funny… i do, it’s when he is going to put his head out the window but the glass is in the way so he hits his head. FUNNY

I don’t think that you can compare actors like Brad and Johnny, because they both have different views on how they approach characters. I think Johnny brings out his characters better on screen then Brad, but I think that Brad Pitt is one of those actors that you just can’t stop watching. His characters grab you and beat the hell out of you. His character in Fight Club was priceless, and Johnny’s character in OUATIM was priceless. You’ll never find 2 actors in Hollywood exactly the same or around the same area as being the same. You couldn’t compare Al Pacino to Robert DeNiro, so why do it with Brad and Johnny, you’ll always get mixed feelings, or mixed results, or mixed opinions.

Like everyone else, I’d have to say the Esmerelda cab scene sucks. It goes on too long, they talk too slowly, they ramble about nothing, and no cab driver is that HOT.

Did anyone watching Pulp Fiction for the first time think that Bruce and Esmerelda were going to start fucking? I did.

[quote]Like everyone else, I’d have to say the Esmerelda cab scene sucks. It goes on too long, they talk too slowly, they ramble about nothing, and no cab driver is that HOT.

Did anyone watching Pulp Fiction for the first time think that Bruce and Esmerelda were going to start fucking? I did.[/quote]

No fucking way! She was a crazy-ass-bitch! Butch was scared as hell to have even met her much less exchange fluids. However, i think the cab driver might have raped him. She was feroucious!

Johnny Depp is awesome.

Just so you all know…

I love Matt Damon. Good Will Hunting and The Talented Mr. Ripley are both great.

As for the worst scene in Pulp. In my mind it’s undoubtedly the scene where Vincent shoots up cut with him looking cool in the car. That scene always struck me as a commercial for heroin. If I ever met QT that’s one of the questions I’d ask him, is what the purpose of that scene is.

The Bruce Willis stuff is great. Except I’m always confused as to why she doesn’t run down the steps and jump on the “chopper”.

[quote] In my mind it’s undoubtedly the scene where Vincent shoots up cut with him looking cool in the car.  That scene always struck me as a commercial for heroin.  .[/quote]

Mia’s own experience with heroin more than compensates for that.

[quote]Mia’s own experience with heroin more than compensates for that.[/quote]

I agree, but if there was one scene to take out of Pulp. The “worst” scene. That would be it.

[quote]

I think one of the things thats so cool about Pulp is the fact that QT shows scenes that other films wouldnt. Like the cab scene, even though its my least favorite scene, most directors would show the cab picking Butch up and then cut to him getting dropped off, but QTs style is to show him during the cab ride chatting with the driver. Its cool if you look at it that way.

The shower scene was cool because it was really funny to me.

Dont forget, the Gold Watch story was created by Avary not QT, so if at any point the film seems boring, its most likely Avarys fault. Cuz if you watch Killing Zoe, the first 20 minutes of the film are him and that chick laying in bed talking. Fuckin boring.

[/quote]

Thank you for stating the obvious about what make Tarantino so great. His ability to tell you things about the characters. He lets you get to know them rather than just rushing through to get to the end.

;D

[quote]Johnny Depp is awesome.

Just so you all know…[/quote]

I must say his characters in BLOW / Pirates and latest Once Upon a Time in Mexico were hilarious ! Fear and Loathing was incredible performance to; so yeah it’s pretty easy to say that Depp is the man.